August 5, 2020

Thai flavors and a quick supper.

Posted on July 1, 2008 by in pasta

I am a complete novice when it comes to making Thai food, but my taste buds have been yearning a bowl of spicy Thai noodles for a long time. I also wanted to make the meal a little more substantial and decided to make some Thai fishcakes.
In the end the only thing ” Thai-ish” in the fishcakes was the flavor as my Foodsearch for Thai fishcakes delivered a variety of methods and ingredients, none of which I particularly liked. So I made fishcakes my way, but with a Thai twist.

Thai Fish cakes

500gr white fish
1 large potato -cooked and mashed
3 Tbs coconut milk
1 small chili chopped
4 Tbs chopped scallion
1 clove garlic – grated of chopped finely
1 Tbs grated ginger
1 egg
salt to taste.
1 handful chopped coriander

You can place all ingredients in a processor and pulse until smooth, but I do not like the too-smooth texture. I chopped my fish until fine, but not mushy. Add all other ingredients, form small patties and fry in a hot skillet with some vegetable.

For the noodles, I just followed my instincts and you may have to adjust the ingredients slightly to your taste. I also used ordinary spaghetti as I did not have any noodles at hand.

“Thai” Noodles

3 Tbs soy
3 Tbs sweet soy
1 Tbs fish sauce.
1 Tbs brown or palm sugar
juice of a lemon

1 red chili chopped
2 spring onions – chopped.

Heat vegetable oil in and stir fry the ginger, garlic and peppers – do not overcook.
Add all the sauces and sugar and taste for seasoning. Add the cooked, drained spaghetti and mix through. Garnish with chopped chili and spring onions.
My family loved this meal and although not true Thai it certainly had the flavors of the Orient.

Tags:

21 Responses to “Thai flavors and a quick supper.”

1. Kevin 1 July 2008 at 4:16 pm #

I really like Thai flavours and those fish cakes sound good!

2. Pam 1 July 2008 at 5:31 pm #

I have always been intimidated by cooking asian food but I may have to try those noodles. Thanks for the inspiration. Lovely photos too (like always).

3. [eatingclub] vancouver || js 1 July 2008 at 7:12 pm #

Looks gorgeous and I’ll take those cakes and noodles anytime.

4. That Girl 1 July 2008 at 8:35 pm #

I love Thai, but I just can’t get into fish cakes…probably for the same reason I have an aversion to meat loaf.

5. Rachel@fairycakeheaven 1 July 2008 at 9:39 pm #

oooo lovely, love thai flavours and these look gorgeous, they’d be lovely with some crab meat in them aswell!

6. kat 1 July 2008 at 9:41 pm #

it looks like such a beautiful meal!

7. Nikki Miller-Ka 2 July 2008 at 2:54 am #

It DOES look like a great meal. Thai-ish or not, you’ve got a winner here. I’m digging those noodles!

8. glamah16 2 July 2008 at 3:04 am #

You dont look like a novice to me!

9. Christie @ fig & cherry 2 July 2008 at 3:16 am #

I love the first shot – gorgeous! I like my fish cakes with salmon.

10. Antonio Tahhan 2 July 2008 at 5:13 am #

Nina, your photographs are stunning!! Now I’m craving some Thai food at 11pm and there’s no way I’m getting that sort of freshness and quality from take out : (

11. Emiline 2 July 2008 at 7:25 am #

Gosh, your pictures are gorgeous.
    And the fish cakes and noodles look delicious.

12. Rose&Thorn 2 July 2008 at 7:53 am #

Those noodles look delish!

13. Rose&Thorn 2 July 2008 at 10:12 am #

Will let you know the next time we have a MOB, the last one was organised by Food 24. We could have our own Blogspot MOB too – You, Kit, Me.

14. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 2 July 2008 at 10:24 am #

Rose – that sounds like a great idea. You say when and where. Maybe after the holiday, some morning…in the afternoon it is MOm’s taxi

15. My Sweet & Saucy 2 July 2008 at 6:04 pm #

Novice!?! And your food turns out looking like this…that is amazing!

16. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 2 July 2008 at 6:59 pm #

kevin – they are so simple to make, that anyone can try….

pam – sadly not authentic, but my own effort. Glad you liked it.

eatingclub – thx for the visit.

that girl – why not just try the noodles…you’ll love it.

rachel – I struggle to find crab meat here and if I do, it is frozen.

kat – thanks!

nikki – these noodles are so easy to make, you can throw it together for a quick lunch.

glamah – “blush, blush”

christie – I like salmon too, but just had white fish available. Thx for the compliment.

antonio – thx, you’re welcome to try these easy recipes.

emiline – thx I appreciate the compliment, especially when from a pro like you!

sweet and saucy – I really am just trying!!!!thx

17. noble pig 2 July 2008 at 8:45 pm #

It’s absolutely gorgeous! Those pictures are amazing!

18. Maheswari 2 July 2008 at 10:41 pm #

Loved the plate.Noodles are looking so perfect.YUM!.First time here, will have to come back and check other delicious recipes.BTW..Fish Cakes YUM..

19. Michelle 3 July 2008 at 4:27 pm #

Hello,
    My first time here. I saw where you visited my blog. Thanks! All your dishes look great and the pictures put me to shame.

20. Lori Lynn 4 July 2008 at 7:36 pm #

Well it sure does LOOK authentic!
    Lovely red and green garnish on the noodles. I also like how you piled the bowl high with noodles.

21. Jeanne 10 July 2008 at 12:44 pm #

These sound heavenly – I don’t know why I don’t make fishcakes more often, especially when they have such wonderful flavours as yours…