December 6, 2019

Chili Con Carne

Posted on July 7, 2008 by in beef

Chili Con Carne, according to Wikipedia, a slight corruption of the Spanish Chile con carne, which means peppers with meat. At the moment we are experiencing extremely cold weather and it has now been raining non-stop for about 10 days.
Hearty meals that warms you up from the inside, are therefor the obvious choice when deciding what to cook. I found this recipe in a local Magazine, Fresh Living.
I followed the original recipe, but used beef mince instead of ostrich.

Chili Con Carne

2 cans chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 cup water
25gr dark (70%) chocolate
2 cans red kidney beans
salt and pepper to taste.

Heat oil in pan. Saute onion until soft. Add garlic and fry for 1 minute.Add chili, coriander, cumin and stir well. Toss in the meat and brown. Stir in red pepper, chopped tomatoes, tomato ketchup, paste, water and chocolate and mix well. Simmer for 45 minutes. Add more water if necessary. Add kidney beans and season well. Serve with salsa, avocado, lime wedges, sour cream and nachos. A delicious winter warmer!!!!

For the Salsa

250gr baby tomatoes, quartered.
i bunch spring onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
juice of 2 limes
1 chili chopped
salt and pepper to taste.

21 Responses to “Chili Con Carne”

1. eliza 7 July 2008 at 7:31 pm #

aww…aww…i just want to grab a bite of your chili con carne! looks terribly delicious and you ate it with rice? how clever!

• Hans 20 October 2013 at 10:04 am #

Nina, this is a easy mexican dish that we as campers can use in South Africa. Its a typical “Outdoor” recipe.

2. Antonio Tahhan 7 July 2008 at 7:37 pm #

Nina, that looks so yummy!! I love the flavor that chocolate adds to mole sauce so this looks like something I have to try!! I think I’ll go with the beef too since I don’t think my local grocery store carries any ostrich

3. Rosa's Yummy Yums 7 July 2008 at 7:52 pm #

A great combo! Really scrumptious! I love such kinds of foods…

Cheers,

Rosa

4. Peter M 7 July 2008 at 8:03 pm #

Nina, the presence of chilli yells that it’s cold over there…this should warm your tummy real well.

We, here have 32C…it’s our turn!

5. That Girl 7 July 2008 at 8:40 pm #

This is a recipe I can really get behind! And put in omlettes, enchiladas…..

6. Maryann 7 July 2008 at 11:30 pm #

I’m sure it warmed your bones! Can I have a dollop of sour cream on mine? 🙂

7. Bridgett 8 July 2008 at 1:44 am #

I absolutely love a good bowl of chili and yours looks fantastic. Can you send some of your cold weather my way? it is 104 here today. I can use a storm or two!

8. Kevin 8 July 2008 at 3:44 am #

That chili looks good! I like the use of the dark chocolate.

9. noble pig 8 July 2008 at 4:36 am #

Chocolate and chili are the perfect match!

10. glamah16 8 July 2008 at 4:44 am #

I dont care what the weather is, that looks really good right now. The ostrich would have been a nice , low fat twist.Need to try that.

11. Proud Italian Cook 8 July 2008 at 6:51 am #

Chocolate and chili, both good for the soul, as usual, one look makes me want to eat some!

12. Emiline 8 July 2008 at 11:05 am #

Looks yummy!

Is it cold there? I’m a little jealous. It’s blistering here. Just awful!

13. Mochachocolata Rita 8 July 2008 at 11:41 am #

chocolate! wow i am totally intriqued!

14. Rose&Thorn 8 July 2008 at 11:52 am #

I love this combination, have tried it myself. My friend gave me a slab of 99% cocoa Lindt – this would be perfect for a good Mexican beef.

15. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 8 July 2008 at 5:43 pm #

I so love chocolate with hot peppers – for me it is a match made in heaven! I am so gonna save this recipe for when it gets cold here (about 14 days in January!)

16. Jeanne 10 July 2008 at 12:38 pm #

One of my favourite standbys on a wintry Friday night 🙂 And with the weather like it iis here at the moment, this is sounding like a good idea THIS Friday!

17. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 11 July 2008 at 10:18 pm #

eliza – the rice was just to stretch it a bit. More of a meal than just a snack!

antonio – I have a “thing” about ostrich. I know it is healthy, but for me…a no-no!

rosa – comforting isn’t it?

peter – oh, I love the cold!!!

that girl – thanks for the suggestions, I’ll try them next time!

maryann – the sour cream is right there on the side!!Just for you!

bridgette – anytime. I am a winter person, do not operate well in the summer.

kevin – it makes the sauce so dark and rich, yes!

noble pig – in both savory and sweet recipes…amazing!

glamah – low-fat???? not my aim, I can tell you!

proud italian cook – that’s a fact!

emiline – it was scrumptious!

rita – try it, you’ll be amazed!

rose – mexican bef…mmmmmm!

jenndz – only 14 days? hells bells, I’m not moving there!

jeanne – are you having lousy weather, why?

18. Kate / Kajal 13 July 2008 at 4:29 pm #

that looks like one hellva meal girl ! yum yum !

19. Janna 14 July 2008 at 4:02 pm #

YUM! I worked for an amazing company in San Jose, CA for 2 years and they had a women’s retreat at the owner’s ranch each year. The owner, his sons and best friend would cook for all the women and one of the things they made was Wild Boar Chili and it was made with chocolate. It was my favorite thing they served. SO GOOD!
    Are you sure you don’t want to move to Texas and be my cooking buddy? 🙂

20. Ben 24 July 2008 at 8:30 pm #

Yay I found a recipe perfect for this T&C.; We are in the middle of summer over here, but it was delicious all the same. 🙂