November 12, 2019

Pork fillet with Porcini and Sundried tomatoes

Posted on July 8, 2008 by in pork

When entertaining I am always thinking of recipes that would be easy to prepare in advance so that I could spend more time with my guests and less time in the kitchen. These pork fillets were definitely the right choice, because all the prep work was done earlier in the day and the oven did the rest of the work.
Place a sheet of plastic wrap on a flat surface. Place the strips of bacon on the plastic, slightly overlapping each other – use about 6 strips for every fillet. Now, place the fillet at the bottom end of the plastic and spoon 1/2 of the mushroom mixture on the fillet.Place some sage leaves on the top of the mixture. Now carefully roll the bacon and fillet and place on a baking tray with loose ends of bacon at the bottom.Repeat with the other fillet.

I saw a version of this recipe on one of the episodes from the Hairy Bike Riders. I searched their site for the recipe, but could not find anything. I know that they used pieces of lamb, loin to be precise, but I wanted to try the idea with pork fillets.
So although I got the idea from the 2 hairy fellas, this is my version. Pork Fillets are so cheap and a little goes a long way. There is no wastage, you can eat all that you’ve paid for…in my book always a winner.

Pork fillet rolled in Bacon with  Porcini and Sundried tomatoes

For the stuffing(for two pork fillets)

200ml porcini mushrooms – also use big brown mushrooms
4 sun dried tomatoes, soaked in olive oil
1/2 wheel of feta cheese
freshly ground black pepper
fresh sage – keep a few leaves, but chop the rest.

Chop all ingredients very finely until it becomes like a coarse paste.

Photobucket
Photobucket

For the fillet

2 pork fillets trimmed
salt
250gr streaky bacon

Bake at 180C for about 40 minutes or until juices from pork are clear when pricked with a fork.

Cut in thick slices and serve on creamy mashed potatoes with a mushroom sauce on the side.

Tags:

27 Responses to “Pork fillet with Porcini and Sundried tomatoes”

1. That Girl 8 July 2008 at 7:24 pm #

Mmmmm pork on pork! It’s like you’re really making use of the whole pig!

2. glamah16 8 July 2008 at 7:52 pm #

That looks incredible. And it makes a terrific presentation.

3. Peter M 8 July 2008 at 8:45 pm #

Your method of keeping the pork loin moist is novel and makes for a wonderful presentation…is it autumn yet?

4. Maryann 8 July 2008 at 9:51 pm #

This is amazing, Nina! I love the idea of wrapping the pork in bacon! I mean..ya can’t go wrong with pork fat, right? haha
    It’s all so elegant and homey at the same time. I love it!

5. noble pig 9 July 2008 at 1:19 am #

OMG this is amazing…that wrap of bacon is just beautiful! I’m in heaven.

6. Nikki Miller-Ka 9 July 2008 at 2:39 am #

This seems like a very very good meal to feed your family.

Please tell me you’ve submitted that last pic to foodgawker, tastespotting, or recipes2share galleries! It’s DIVINE.

7. Elly 9 July 2008 at 3:32 am #

WOW, this looks fantastic! I was already sold on the bacon wrapped pork and then I saw all the other delicious ingredients and just about fainted 🙂

8. Bridgett 9 July 2008 at 4:42 am #

My goodness, that looks absolutely divine! I love the mushroom sauce. This dinner must have been heaven.

9. Gattina 9 July 2008 at 6:19 am #

oh I love your version! And I never thought of using feta, got to try it, sound fantastic!

10. Anonymous 9 July 2008 at 9:22 am #

Hallo Love!
    Looks like the kitchen is busy without me… looks fantastic!
    I had breakfast with one of your Pretoria fans this morning and am bringing a breakfast recipe to die for…literally …I think it can orbit a saints cholestrol!!. Flying in this afternoon. Have “liberated” the recipe and will suprise you all this weekend!! You officially have the day off!!Love-THE HUSBAND

11. Astra Libris 9 July 2008 at 3:16 pm #

Oh my goodness, this looks incredible… WOW… I’m speechless with delight…

12. kat 9 July 2008 at 3:51 pm #

pork & pork?! this is heaven!

13. nicisme 9 July 2008 at 5:49 pm #

Your version looks fabulous, great way to serve it!

14. Lori Lynn 9 July 2008 at 6:33 pm #

I like how you show how to wrap the pork in bacon. I’ve gotta try that, the possibilities of stuffing are endless…

15. Jan 9 July 2008 at 10:11 pm #

Nina – now that looks really nice! I LOVE feta cheese and pork and bacon and mashed potatoes too!!! And your pictures are excellent!

16. Rose&Thorn 10 July 2008 at 11:19 am #

Great meal for a special occasion.

17. Jeanne 10 July 2008 at 12:31 pm #

Mmm – looks delicious! It reminds me of a bacon-wrapped sprinkbok fillet I do on the Weber: http://www.cooksister.com/2007/08/bacon-wrapped-v

I’m a great fan of stuffing pork fillets – so easy and so spectacular to serve!

18. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 10 July 2008 at 10:05 pm #

that girl – does qualify then as a pig out!

glamah – I was pleased with the presentation too.

peter – thx Peter. No, autumn is not in sight!!!!

maryann – As they say: Fat=Flavor!

noble pig – thx for your frequent visits, I’ll always appreciate that!

nikki – yes, I did submit!

elly – not exactly a healthy meal, but nevertheless delicious!

bridgitte – my kids were not to keen on the stuffing, but loved the bacon and the pork.

gattina – I love putting feta in stuffing, it just adds a natural saltiness to the dish.

ANONYMOUS – Oh, I’m looking forward to this breakfast!

astra libris – I haven’t seen you around for a while. Thx for visiting!

kat – twice as nice

nicisme – thx

lori lynn – almost like an editorial heh?

jan- glad you’re back!

rose – my children are under the impression that every meal around here is special!

jeanne – had a great holiday? I’ll go and check out your springbok fillet now!

19. Kevin 11 July 2008 at 3:55 am #

This sounds really good! So many great flavours!

20. Marianna 11 July 2008 at 9:53 am #

wow- there are so many ingredients I just love you’ve used here!! It looks fabulous!! Great recipe, and your photos are bursting with taste!

21. katiez 11 July 2008 at 1:10 pm #

Definitely bookmarked for next winter.
    I think I’d rather do it with pork, too. I like my lamb ‘naked’

22. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 11 July 2008 at 10:08 pm #

kevin – it was a very flavorsome dish!

marianna – I think many people like this flavor combo – it is rather classic, nothing innovative!!

katiez – he-he, naked lamb!!sounds funny, but I know what you mean.

23. We Are Never Full 12 July 2008 at 8:32 pm #

add a side of polenta to this and i’m smiling! this looks beautiful. what i would do to be able to purchase fresh porcini’s.

24. Christie @ fig & cherry 14 July 2008 at 3:16 am #

LOVE the porcini, tomato, feta filling! Right up my alley. Yum.

25. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 14 July 2008 at 9:27 pm #

we are never full – you’re right, polenta would have been great too!

christie – yeh, it is a very popular filling.

26. nicole 15 July 2008 at 9:06 am #

Mmm.. this looks so good.

27. Sophie 17 July 2008 at 9:02 pm #

We’d like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you’re interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. 🙂