June 5, 2020

Banana and chocolate Muffins

Posted on July 21, 2008 by in baked goods

Have you ever thought of taking your favorite sponge cake recipe and just play with it a little. My kids will never ask me for a piece of cake(too much trouble to eat, I guess), but if I make the same recipe, just in muffin shape, they absolutely love it.
So this time, I used my tried and tested Sponge Cake recipe and added three mashed bananas to the batter. Just for fun, I inserted a dark chocolate button inside every muffin. When it bakes, the chocolate melts slightly and adds a nice touch to an already delicious muffin.

For the Basic Sponge recipe, click here
The recipe can easily be halved.

Tags:

22 Responses to “Banana and chocolate Muffins”

1. Nafisa 21 July 2008 at 12:45 pm #

Looks delicious. Love the decoration.

2. Peter M 21 July 2008 at 1:07 pm #

Nina, you make the simplest delights into kitchen marvels…you show off! lol

3. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 21 July 2008 at 2:09 pm #

nafisa – thanks. Your first time here?

peter – ouch!!!!! with all these little hungry mouths to feed, I have to be in tip top shape….

4. nicisme 21 July 2008 at 3:21 pm #

Cute cakes Nina!

5. Paula 21 July 2008 at 6:17 pm #

Those look so pretty on the outside, and the inside surprise of chocolate would delight adults as well as children.

I really like the previous post of Croque Monsieur, too. My son would enjoy the version with the fried egg!

6. kat 21 July 2008 at 6:25 pm #

what a wonderful sounding recipe. i agree with your kids cupcake sized is so much easier to eat than a cake

7. noble pig 21 July 2008 at 6:26 pm #

What a great idea…I have to admit a little surprise inside of an already yummy dessert…heaven.

8. That Girl 21 July 2008 at 6:27 pm #

I always hate it when my muffins turn out squatty – but yours look so cute I’m going to start embracing short muffins.

9. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 21 July 2008 at 9:55 pm #

nicisme – thanks a stack!

paula – the muffins were quite s surprise biting into. I dare not do the egg on the Croque Monsieur….heart attack here we come!!!

kat – just to blow my theory…my children policed an entire cheesecake today.

noble pig – a double yum!!

that girl – the muffins did drop a bit. I think it might be the banana – a bit too heavy, but the taste made up….

10. Jessy and her dog Winnie 22 July 2008 at 3:08 am #

I love banana muffins! I love how you decorated them with powdered sugar!

11. glamah16 22 July 2008 at 4:19 am #

Love the stenciled design on the muffins. You always add the elegant touch!

12. Proud Italian Cook 22 July 2008 at 5:15 am #

NIna, You’re such a nice Mom! They taste great and look gorgeous too!

13. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 22 July 2008 at 7:23 am #

jessy – I used my scrapbook stencils….

glamah – aaahhh, thx you’re so kind.

proud italian cook – my children does not always think so, but most of the time.

14. Bridgett 22 July 2008 at 7:23 am #

Look at how cute these are! I love the simple decoration on top and the idea of a little chocolatey surprise mixed with the banana flavor couldn’t be better.

15. Emiline 22 July 2008 at 11:27 am #

Oooh! I love the pretty decorated outside.
    Banana spongcake sounds delicious! Especially with that chocolate button. A little piece of treasure.

16. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 22 July 2008 at 10:20 pm #

How cute is that?! I just love the powdered sugar decoration!

17. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 23 July 2008 at 4:56 am #

bridgette – chocolate and banana is a classic, isn’t it?

emiline – my muffins were a wee bit flat, so I had to come up with an idea.

jenndz – thanks jenn!

18. Mochachocolata Rita 24 July 2008 at 7:33 am #

bananas and chocolate! my favorite! ^_^

19. Mango Power Girl 25 July 2008 at 9:23 pm #

Yum! looks so poretty…I think I would need a few more chocolate buttons tho 😉

20. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 29 July 2008 at 5:29 pm #

rita – that’s for the kid in you!!!

mango power girl – the buttons were quite big, but hey a girl can never have enough chocolate!

21. Jeanne 29 July 2008 at 7:35 pm #

LOL – natural portion control! I love this idea, especially the surprise inside.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks