November 20, 2019

Greek Gazpacho

Posted on July 28, 2008 by in soups

With all the fighting about copyright on recipes, I am so nervous to even mention other people’s recipes, but when I cook someones recipe, it is because I thought it was amazing in the first place. Peter from Kalofagas made this delicious Greek Gazpacho a while back and although it is winter here, I could imagine the flavors…mmmmm!.
Then as if the soup itself was not enough, he dumped a frozen ball of olive oil in the middle and everyone went WOW!!!!(me too!). At the time, as I’ve said, it was so cold here in Cape Town, that the idea of a cold bowl of soup was inconceivable and I started to think….What if I change the recipe and make it a hot soup?

Not to offend Pete, I made both versions. I ate a bowl of the cold version, but I felt that the hot soup needed some body so I added:
-3 Tbsp tomato paste
-1 Tbsp sugar
– more salt and pepper to my taste.
I served it with a Crouton with Gruyere cheese

This is then the original recipe from Peter

Greek Gazpacho
2 slices of day old crusty Italian bread
2 Tbsp. fresh chopped Greek oregano

2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
5 Tbsp. good red wine vinegar
1/4 cup Olyfberg Olive Oil
1 roasted red bell pepper, skins peeled and seeds removed
1 roasted green bell pepper, skins peeled and seeds removed
2 red onions, roughly chopped
1 seedless cucumber (un-peeled, seeded & chopped)
4 large, ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
3/4 cup sun-dried black olives (Throumpes)
2 tsp. ground black pepper
8 oz. Greek feta, small dice
approx. 46 oz. of V-8 or other vegetable cocktail
(depends on how thin or thick you like your soup)
salt to taste

Garnish
extra-virgin olive oil
ice cube tray or shot glasses

1. Using shot glasses or an ice cube tray, fill the ice cube tray to the top with olive oil or the shot glasses half-way up. Place in the freezer to harden.
  2. In a food processor, place the bread, garlic, oregano, parsley and process everything until it becomes a wet paste. Now add the olive oil and wine vinegar and pulse until mixed in. Remove and reserve in a large bowl
  3. In the same food processor, add the cucumber, onions, tomatoes and olives and whiz until coarsely chopped. Add to the reserved bread/herb mixture in the large bowl and add the vegetable cocktail, black pepper and stir well. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt (if any) and pepper.
  4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for alt least 3 hours.
  5. For serving, ladle soup into each bowl with some cubes of feta. Take your olive oil ice cubes out of the freezer and pop one into the middle of each soup. If you used shot glasses, place them in warm water to free up the frozen olive oil. Serve cold

I also omitted the olives in the recipe, because my children are not fond of the taste, but added it to my bowl – delicious!!!!

Tags: , , ,

36 Responses to “Greek Gazpacho”

1. Christie @ fig & cherry 28 July 2008 at 12:14 pm #

Love your Greek / French fusion with the melted cheese crouton! Great presentation with the herbs too.

2. Peter M 28 July 2008 at 1:04 pm #

Nina, the staff and myself at Kalofagas do not allow for any changes to be made to the dishes…KIDDING! lol

Both the hot and cold versions sounds wonderful and nothing wrong with adding your own flair to the dishes (you know I do).

Thank you so much for trying and enjoying the dish and I appreciate the struggle you have trying to also appease kids’ tastes.

3. nicisme 28 July 2008 at 1:48 pm #

Looks tasty, love the photo with the toast!

4. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 28 July 2008 at 2:01 pm #

christie – it was never intended, but thanks for making it sound very fancy.

peter m – tell the staff at Kalofagas. @#$%!!!!! LOL. Thanks for the inspiration.

nicisme – thank you so much!

5. Patricia Scarpin 28 July 2008 at 2:07 pm #

Nina, it’s too early here for lunch, but you are making me hungry already!

6. Ben 28 July 2008 at 2:49 pm #

LOL I can imagine Peter and his staff going through the blogosphere harassing people to take down his recipes :-p

Both versions of the recipe sound really good. I just made gazpacho the other day, but I have to try this version, and I’ll try yours when it gets colder here. I hope you don’t send me threatening emails to take it down :-p

7. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 28 July 2008 at 3:12 pm #

patricia – it is so healthy, why not have it for breakfast???

ben – Can you believe the audacity of the man……..jokes!!! The hot version was really nice and no one even knew there was cucumber in there.

8. kat 28 July 2008 at 5:12 pm #

Well I’m making one of Peter’s recipes this week too so I guess I better be careful to keep everything exact!

9. noble pig 28 July 2008 at 5:49 pm #

Oh how yummy this looks, the colors are amazing.

10. Pam 28 July 2008 at 6:21 pm #

YUM. I like that you made it both ways – hot and cold. Lovely pictures too.

11. That Girl 28 July 2008 at 6:42 pm #

I love that olive oil ball in the middle!

12. Darius T. Williams 28 July 2008 at 8:07 pm #

I’m a huge sucker for gazpacho and yours looks great!

-DTW

13. [eatingclub] vancouver || js 29 July 2008 at 2:49 am #

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Hot, cold, any temperature. Greek gazpacho is da’ bomb! (Much thanks to Peter.)

14. Lisa 29 July 2008 at 3:42 am #

Just beautiful. I could eat this anytime of the year. Peter’s recipes always work out perfectly.

15. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 29 July 2008 at 5:18 am #

kat – What are you making? His bark is far worse than his bite.

noble pig – the red is beautiful isn’t it?

pam – I was curious to try the cold soup, but knew it was not an option for the family in this weather. Thx

that girl – I can’t take any credit for that one…..

darius – I bounced over to your site….love it!!!!! I’ll be back for more recipes, Thanks for the visit.

eatingclub – yea, he’s a star!!!

lisa – thanks for the visit – his recipes are very clear,yes!

16. Proud Italian Cook 29 July 2008 at 6:40 am #

I can barely write this, I’m to busy starring at these 2 bowls bursting with color and flavor!!WOW!!

17. Mochachocolata Rita 29 July 2008 at 7:03 am #

absolutely gorgeous!

18. canarygirl 29 July 2008 at 9:54 am #

LMFAO Peter! hahaha Nina, both versions sound just fabulous…I’ve been wanting to try this, too….love love LOVE gazpacho.

19. Emiline 29 July 2008 at 12:33 pm #

Yum! Looks great! That Pete was on to something…

20. Rose&Thorn 29 July 2008 at 1:08 pm #

This is on the menu tonight!

21. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 29 July 2008 at 5:26 pm #

proud italian girl – have you recovered yet.The only solution is to make the soup yourself.

rita – it truly was delicious!!!

canary girl – it is a good recipe – the bread thickens the soup so nicely – hot or cold.

pete – isn’t he always…

rose – let me know!!!!

22. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 29 July 2008 at 6:38 pm #

This looks great Nina! I like both versions! The second picture is awesome!

23. Jeanne 29 July 2008 at 7:31 pm #

YUM! I’m kind of conflicted on the hot/cold soup issue. I usually don’t like cold soup, but strangely I can make an exception for gazpacho. But I can tell you I LOVE the gruyere toastie idea!

As for the recent copyright drama… when are these loony people with delusions of importance going to realise that you CAN’T copyright a list of ingredients?!

24. Ari (Baking and Books) 29 July 2008 at 10:05 pm #

This look all around delicious, but especially I LOVE the idea of the frozen ball of olive oil in the middle. Genius!

25. Susan from Food Blogga 30 July 2008 at 2:19 am #

Yes, everything Peter is delicious! And the photo with the cheese toast is a stunner!

26. Dragon 30 July 2008 at 5:35 am #

That Peter is a treasure, isn’t he? I think you did him proud.

27. RecipeGirl 30 July 2008 at 3:41 pm #

Isn’t Peter the best? What a wonderful choice to make. It looks so yummy!

28. noobcook 30 July 2008 at 6:36 pm #

So beautiful … Hee you did Peter proud by making it look so yummy 😉

29. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 30 July 2008 at 8:44 pm #

jenndz – I liked both too….

jeanne – I agree, but this gazpacho had so much flavor…..

ari – I wish I cloud take credit for the brilliant idea.

susan – it was such a spur of the moment idea and yet everyone seems to love it!

dragon – a true gem!!!!

recipe girl – He just has so many recipes to choose from, I do not know which to choose.

noobcook – thanks for your first time visit. Pls call again!

30. Mike of Mike's Table 30 July 2008 at 11:07 pm #

lol about the copyright comments. Both Peter’s and yours look delicious. Can you believe I’ve never had gazpacho before? I need to try this ASAP

31. Janna 31 July 2008 at 12:23 am #

Nina! This looks marvelous and it sounds wonderful!

32. Jeena 31 July 2008 at 1:26 pm #

Wonderful colours and healthy too delicious.

33. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 31 July 2008 at 3:36 pm #

mike – shame on you, Mike. You should really do this asap!

janna – it bursts with flavor, yea!

jeena – healthy it is indeed with all the anti-oxidants from the tomatoes and the olive oil…

34. Lori Lynn 31 July 2008 at 6:34 pm #

That looks great Nina! I too must try that olive oil ice cube! Soon!

35. Jona 22 March 2011 at 11:02 am #

Love to try this recipe.Looks deliciously good.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Gazpacho and the finest of olive oils from Olyfberg! - My Easy Cooking - February 21, 2017

[…] The soup is served cold and therefore it is traditionally a summer soup, but I have adapted it to a warm version, which was equally delicious! I just love the vibrancy of the soup, the bright red from the plump […]