September 22, 2020

Citrus flavored salt, a perfect match for pork!

Posted on August 7, 2008 by in pork

Citrus flavored salt

Citrus flavored salt, a perfect match for pork!

Recipes for Flavored salts often feature on the blogosphere. Janden from Steamy Kitchen has made Szechuan Peppercorn Salt, Citrus Salt and Matcha salt and the “beloved” Jamie Oliver has also made it a couple of times.
This is the first time I try it and I will most definitely do it again. I had some lovely pork neck chops and wanted to grill them with just a good rub of olive oil and some Citrus salt.

There is no magic trick to it. I just peeled a big orange( make sure you only cut the very top layer of the peel, try and miss too much of the white…it will add a bitter taste to the salt.) Place the peels and some sea salt in a grinder and voila…you have Citrus flavored Salt. I used the salt as is, but if you want to store it, you better dry the salt in the oven for a bit until the peels have dried out.

16 Responses to “Citrus flavored salt, a perfect match for pork!”

1. noobcook 7 August 2008 at 7:56 am #

wow the home-made citrus salt marinade looks delicious πŸ™‚ I love the addition of orange which gives the tangy, sweet flavour … I’m too lazy to make my own flavoured salts but it does seem like the end result is worth the trouble … maybe … some day … πŸ˜›

2. Passionate About Baking 7 August 2008 at 8:46 am #

I just love this…funnily enough was reading a salt post the other day on someone elses blog too. Have just returned home with 2 bags of sea salt…would love to try this. It’s beautiful!

3. RecipeGirl 7 August 2008 at 4:56 pm #

I’ve never even thought about making my own flavored salt, but it sounds like a great idea. So simple!

4. Pam 7 August 2008 at 6:10 pm #

How clever are you? I have never thought of doing this. I am sure the pork turned out delicious. Nice job Nina.

5. That Girl 7 August 2008 at 7:09 pm #

I’m going to be singing Godspell in my head all day now!

6. Anamika:The Sugarcrafter 7 August 2008 at 11:40 pm #

you have a nice blog !

7. Christie @ fig & cherry 8 August 2008 at 2:20 am #

What a fantastic idea! I recently got some mandarin infused olive oil and am really into citrus at the moment – I imagine this would be heavenly on prawns too!

8. Dragon 8 August 2008 at 2:54 am #

What a great idea! Your photos are wonderful.

9. Nikki Miller-Ka 9 August 2008 at 2:10 am #

That’s beautiful, right there. Absolutely gorgeous. I am in love with flavored salts. I love this too.

10. [eatingclub] vancouver || js 9 August 2008 at 8:36 am #

I love flavoured salts and have started experimenting with them recently. That pile of salt sure does look gorgeous and packs a superflavour punch.

11. Rose&Thorn 9 August 2008 at 9:41 am #

I have seen this on Tv, and never tried it. Now that I have seen yours, I’m going to make some today.

12. Jeanne 12 August 2008 at 12:58 pm #

Clever, clever! I often talk about making my own flavoured salt but never get as far. The citrus idea really appeals – I’m thinking of a variation with lime zest and finely ground dried chillies… Thanks for the inspiration! Beautiful pics too.

13. Mango Power Girl 13 August 2008 at 3:59 am #

So refreshing (I mean the salt not the pork ;)…I’ve used a few other fruit salts and this is such a great summer idea!

14. Lore 13 August 2008 at 11:48 am #

Not only that it goes well with pork but the visual effect is great!

15. meeso 19 August 2008 at 1:17 am #

This sounds excellent! And it looks so pretty!

16. Anne-Marie 24 October 2013 at 5:19 pm #

I’m impressed. I harvest my own sea salt in the West Coast and will definitely try this. Lovely, thank you!