January 17, 2021

Trout with Almonds and wonderful memories.

Posted on August 19, 2008 by in seafood

Franschoek  to me must be one of the most beautiful places in Cape Town and we were fortunate to have our youth Camp there this weekend. Franschoek is one of the oldest towns in South Africa and  the village was originally settled in 1688.
Once a sleepy country retreat, the village began experiencing a boom since the 1990s, and property prices have sharply increased. The ideal summer weather, snowy peaks in winter and proximity to Cape Town have turned Franschhoek into one of South Africa’s most sought after residential addresses.

We decided to leave early on Friday so that we could squeeze in a bit of family time, before I had to start in the kitchen. My husband and son wanted to try their hands at fly fishing. It took them a while to get the hang of it, but when my son got his first bite, there was no end to this expedition. Sadly he jerked the line too fast and lost his first fish, but in the afternoon he got his reward. Oh, he was so excited. The fish was gutted and vacuum packed and last night we only got the chance to celebrate.

Trout with almonds and Herb butter is what we had for supper last night and we could ponder over a fantastic weekend spent in the most beautiful place I have been to in a while.  I simply pan fried the fish, added some almonds towards the end and served it with herb butter and dill. I share with you a few of our pictures and in my next post I will give you an over view of the camp…
Photobucket

Tags:

22 Responses to “Trout with Almonds and wonderful memories.”

1. Rose&Thorn 19 August 2008 at 11:53 am #

I can not think of anything I love more than grilled trout with almonds, to eat that is!

2. Ben 19 August 2008 at 2:36 pm #

Very nice! All those pictures are just amazing. I miss places like that 🙁

3. RecipeGirl 19 August 2008 at 2:57 pm #

So beautiful! Lucky you… those are great memories.

4. Fearless Kitchen 19 August 2008 at 5:24 pm #

This looks great. I remember my dad doing something kind of similar – without the dill – when he used to take me fishing when I was a little kid.

5. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 19 August 2008 at 6:05 pm #

That does look beautiful! Congrats to your son for catching such a nice dinner! 🙂

6. kat 19 August 2008 at 6:19 pm #

what an amazing looking place!

7. Nikki Miller-Ka 20 August 2008 at 1:51 am #

Looks like you guys had fun!

8. That Girl 20 August 2008 at 5:26 am #

I totally remember the joys of childhood fishing. Since I didn’t eat my own catch it was more for eveyone else to share!

9. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 20 August 2008 at 7:34 am #

rose – ha-ha, I get it!

ben – It is s sin that we have so many of those places around us, but we never make time to visit them often.

recipe girl – indeed, they are!

fearless kitchen – do you have your own site? Thanks for all the visits.

jenndz – I will convey this message to my son, with pleasure. He will be so pleased.

kat – I wish I could go back there this weekend!

nikki miller – oh, we had loads of it!!

that girl – I must tell you a secret, I was a bit squeamish at first….

10. Sylvie 20 August 2008 at 11:54 am #

I bet that fish tasted extra special, being caught by your son!

11. Jeanne 20 August 2008 at 2:12 pm #

LOL – great minds think alike – this is one of my favourite weeknight recipes:

Although we weren’t as lucky to be able to catch out own fish in such a stunning setting! Where is it?

Trout with butter and almonds is one of those classic combinations (like tomato and basil) that is so blindingly simple and so fabulous. Hooked on classics!

12. Jeanine 20 August 2008 at 2:38 pm #

Wow, it looks beautiful there! Glad to hear that you guys had a great weekend. Congrats to your son on catching the fish too, awesome!

13. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 20 August 2008 at 3:08 pm #

sylvie – Well, he said it was the best tasting fish he had ever had.

jeanne – Where else could it be but the awesome Jonkershoek near Stellenbosch.

jeanine – thanks, he read your comment and it brought a big smile to his face.

14. Janna 20 August 2008 at 4:45 pm #

These pictures are beautiful!

15. matt wright 20 August 2008 at 9:06 pm #

Ahh, brings me back to when I was a wee lad catching trout in England – and getting my Mum to cook them up.

Awesome stuff!

16. Leslie 21 August 2008 at 8:50 pm #

Wow..I havent had trout in SOOOOOO long! This looks wonderful.
    Your photos are amazingly beautiful.
    Thanks for you comment on My Ego light post and about my daughters eye! She is a sweet one!

17. Lynnylu 23 August 2008 at 1:58 pm #

Lovely photos and great looking trout with almonds.

18. Lori Lynn 24 August 2008 at 4:46 pm #

Great pics!
    And how fun for your son!
    YAY for fly fishing!
    I bet that trout tasted so good, especially since he caught it and you cooked it. Great team.

19. Helene 25 August 2008 at 12:13 am #

Hi Nina,

can you send me an email, I have couple questions for you.

hpelo200@hotmail.com

Great pictures!

20. glamah16 25 August 2008 at 4:34 am #

What beautiful pictures!

21. Proud Italian Cook 25 August 2008 at 6:59 am #

Nina, I want to eat everything you make! Great photo’s and great memories! I’ts so beautiful there!

22. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 25 August 2008 at 8:13 am #

janna – thanks so much!

matt – I feel humbled to get a comment from my idol in the blogosphere! Your photography is awesome.

leslie – you will not believe it, but it was my first try at fresh trout.

lynnylu – thank you

lori lynn – oh, he was so proud!

helen – anytime.

glamah – thank you very much!

proud italian cook – I wish I was there again it was so stunning!