July 18, 2019

Herb butter…..the best there is.

Posted on August 28, 2008 by in baked goods

Everyone should have a herb garden, simply because there are few things as rewarding as picking your own herbs to use in your recipes. Herbs can take a simple recipe to another level in no time…think scrambled eggs with snipped chives, tomato and cheese salad becomes Salad Caprese, Fish with Fennel and so I can go on and on….
A herb garden can be very elaborate or just a few pots with your favorite herbs. So if you haven’t got a few herbs growing in your garden, start small, but now!

All the spring herbs are now in full bloom and I am surrounded by mint, fennel, parsley, coriander, chives, rocket to mention but a few. I made some herb butter earlier in the week, just to use some of these lovely herbs and I keep the butter in the freezer and use it with baked potato, fish, grilled steak or to make a Rustic Loaf come to life….. If you are often invited to BBQ and you do not always have time or energy to make something, make a few for these loaves when you DO have time and pop them in the freezer..

For the herb Butter

500gr butter – room temperature
Herbs of your choice – I used garlic, fennel, mint, a little rosemary and parsley(all chopped).
4 Anchovy fillets
Salt and pepper
1 Chili – optional
lemon zest – optional

Place everything in a food processor and pulse until mixed. Shape into a long sauce shape, cover with tin foil and freeze. When needed for the bread, thaw the butter and spread lavishly between slices. Cover the bread with foil and bake in a moderate oven for 10-15 minutes.
When you want to use the butter for fish or steak, simply cut a slice off the “roll” of butter and place on the hot food and wait for it to melt and add the delicious taste of fresh herbs….

For some of my other herb recipes, simply click on the links below:
Herb Salad dressing
Basil Pesto
Brandy tuiles with Lavender Cream
Ginger Beer

33 Responses to “Herb butter…..the best there is.”

1. Sylvie 28 August 2008 at 8:03 pm #

I have always liked flavoured butter and herb butter is one of the best there is. I like the idea of adding anchovies for some flavour and saltiness!

2. Nikki Miller-Ka 28 August 2008 at 11:47 pm #

Boy, this looks beautiful! Every day when I come here, I see why you’re one of South Africa’s go-to blogs! Way to go, Nina!

3. glamah16 29 August 2008 at 12:16 am #

Its fun to read how we are going onto fall you are going into spring. For the life of me I dont know why people but expensive compund and herb butters when it can be made at home like this.And I like that anchovy addition.

4. hot garlic 29 August 2008 at 1:59 am #

YUM! I love your picture, it definitely sells it! Your herb butter is different to mine and I might just have to try yours and see if I like the added ingredients.

I agree, herb gardens are a MUST! I can’t stand running to the store for an herb of all things. It just makes it so convenient to have them all right there when you need them.

5. Kristen 29 August 2008 at 4:09 am #

I had a gorgeous herb garden this summer and then left with my kids on vacation in July and husband forgot to water the herbs the entire week I was gone. No more herb garden for me 🙁
    This looks great! Did you make the bread too? I’d love to find a recipe for rustic bread.

6. That Girl 29 August 2008 at 5:13 am #

I have this problem, I buy anchovies for cesaer dressing, and then always have leftovers, this is a great way to not waste them!

7. RecipeGirl 29 August 2008 at 5:28 am #

Oh my goodness, does this look delicious! Wow! It makes me want to take inventory of my fresh herbs and go to town making butter with them!

8. Helene 29 August 2008 at 6:20 am #

This looks incredibly good. I’m sending the money tomorrow. Let me know when you get it 🙂

9. Jan 29 August 2008 at 10:00 am #

Looks lovely!
    I wish we were just coming into Spring (in the UK) we seem to have missed Spring, skipped Summer altogether and gone straight into Autumn LOL

10. Maryann 29 August 2008 at 11:22 am #

Hi Nina! I’ve missed you! Be back soon!

11. kabonfootprint 29 August 2008 at 12:50 pm #

Because of the foodblogs, I was more inspired to try new and different foods, I am learning a lot and also thanks for sharing your ideas because at the same time I am also trying my best to learn how to prepare (decent meals 🙂 Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint

12. Matin 29 August 2008 at 2:43 pm #

Looks great, Thanks for sharing:-)
    X Matin

13. Sandie 29 August 2008 at 3:46 pm #

Can you imagine the drool coming out the corner of my mouth when I saw the photo accompanying this post?

*Sigh*

If you only knew how much I love bread, herbs, and YES I love butter. There. It feels good to get that out.

Lovely recipe with this…just lovely.

Thanks for your comment on my blog, I enjoyed it. Hope you’ll try those coffee toffee bars! Come back soon and visit often!

14. kittie 29 August 2008 at 4:38 pm #

The photo of that bread would incite me to start a herb garden – if I didn’t already have one!!

15. Clausewitz 29 August 2008 at 6:14 pm #

Parabéns pelo excelente site. Passe lá no Blog do Clausewitz e conheça um pouco mais sobre o Brasil. Abração.

16. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 29 August 2008 at 8:24 pm #

Wow, I don’t know what looks better the bread or the butter! I guess that is why you put them together! Fresh herbs are wonderful! Right now the only one that survived is our basil. Next year I need to plan better!

17. Jenny 30 August 2008 at 4:07 pm #

Hi Nina,
    Your pictures are seriously gorgeous! The recipe sounds so good!

18. Kate / Kajal 31 August 2008 at 1:37 am #

2 thumbs up to having you own herb gardens .. i have one too, and yeah its extremely rewarding. That loaf looks extremely lovely, can imagine the aromas coming out of the oven once you bake that.

19. Lori Lynn 31 August 2008 at 4:48 am #

Hi Nina – I started an herb garden last month, I look forward to trying your recipe, as I especially like anchovy flavor.

20. mikky 31 August 2008 at 1:19 pm #

thanks for sharing this… it’s really an awesome idea 🙂

21. Elly 31 August 2008 at 5:55 pm #

I cannot tell you how much I love herb butter. I mean butter on its own is good enough for me but with herbs too 🙂 I wish I could have an herb garden but it’s not so promising in my tiny apartment in this big city! I really want the end piece of that bread too, please… 🙂

22. Emiline 31 August 2008 at 8:39 pm #

I love fresh herbs. Could I borrow some of your fennel? I just tried it roasted and I loved it.

23. eliza 1 September 2008 at 7:00 am #

i agree with you, herbs garden comes in handy a lot of times. that bread with the herbed butter looks great, Nina!

24. Nina Timm 1 September 2008 at 6:06 pm #

sylvie – Anchovies are the best to add saltiness here…

nikki – I am so flattered by this!!!!

glamah -Yippee, today is officially Spring Day!

hot garlic – I am sure you will like it!

kirsten – I do bake bread, but no this one I did not bake. Make hubby dig all the soil for the new garden as punishment.

that girl -I can eat anchovies just like that, of course I end up drinking gallons of water afterwards.

recipe girl – Use whatever herbs you have, it will be fine!

helene – thx again, I will let you know!!

jan – I like autumn and winter, wanna swap?

maryann – so glad you’re back!

kabonfootprint – I am so glad you popped in, Shout if you need any more help!

sandie – I was too busy this weekend, but I will definitely.

kitty – I am glad I could you have one already, thx for stopping by!

clauswitz – I cannot understand Spanish, but thanks for visiting!

jenndz – Basil is good!!!! I find that herb gardens are very labor intensive, especially the soft herbs….

jenny – thank you so much!!!

kate – it was so inviting!!!

lori lynn – I hope your garden brings you much joy!

mikky – you’re welcome and thanks for the visit.

elly – not even in a little pot???

emiline – anytime….I love roasted fennel!

eliza – thanks so much!

25. Kevin 1 September 2008 at 11:13 pm #

That loaf filled with herb butter looks so good! I need to move to a place where I can grow some herbs and other things.

26. farida 2 September 2008 at 7:48 pm #

This bread looks so good! I love herbs and this is a great recipe to try one day.

27. Jeanne 3 September 2008 at 2:04 am #

Oh WOW that looks fantastic! I always wonder why peopel buy garlic breads when you can make SO much better at home. I love making garlic bread and then sprinkling parmesan in between the slices before baking…

28. Rose&Thorn 4 September 2008 at 12:40 pm #

That bread looks so very good – I would love a slice now with some carrot soup!

29. Bellini Valli 5 September 2008 at 5:00 am #

I saw this on Key Ingredient and had to bookmark this recipe Nina:D

30. Nina Timm 9 September 2008 at 7:50 am #

kevin – your posts are always so colorful and you use herbs so often that I am amazed that you do not have a herb garden already.

farida – it really does!

jeanne – now there is a novel idea!

rose – oh yes, that carrot soup of your was sublime!!!

bellini – I am flattered!

31. Chef E 3 November 2008 at 6:50 pm #

This reminds me of how before I learned to make bread on my own, I bought a frozen loaf, made my own herb butter and my husband really thought I had made the bread, lol, now he knows, but I did not realize it until the day he asked me to make it and I would have had to go to the store to purchase the frozen bread!
    Yours looks good!

32. myfrenchkitchen 18 November 2008 at 5:58 pm #

This looks so delicious and makes me homesick now…knowing it is summer down there and you’re having this with bbq’s…!
    Ronell

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Cheesy Biltong Pull Apart Bread - My Easy Cooking - November 20, 2018

[…] know, I know, how can we push aside a good garlic bread? Well, let’s have an open mind here. If you braai as often as we do, there will be plenty […]