March 30, 2020

Scrumptious Beef Pot Pies to enjoy the last of winter

Posted on September 11, 2008 by in baked goods

Scrumptious Beef Pot Pies

Scrumptious Beef Pot Pies

The most talented Bee and Jai at Jugalbundi is running an event every month that is dedicated to Food Photography. The event is called “Click” and a theme is announced on the first of each month and all bloggers are invited to send their pictures.

Scrumptious Beef Pot Pies. This month the theme selected is “Crusts”. Now, there are many people who eat only the soft inside of bread, the soft center or a tart or would not dream of eating the end slices of bread. I, on the other hand, always wait for everyone to slice, dish or eat and then I go in for the crusts.

When eating a sandwich, I always save the crusts for last…Do you think I am a nut case? How about you? So, needless to say the theme for this month grabbed my attention.

Scrumptious Beef Pot Pies

I love individual pot pies. I think they are cute and it is easy to do portion planning. I made these Beef and Vegetable pies earlier this winter and they were delicious. This time I wanted to make a deep dark beef pie with brisket, cooked for hours in red wine, nothing added, just meat and then the delicious puff pastry crust. So I do not have much of a recipe except this:

Beef Pot Pies

4 kg boneless brisket – most of the fat removed
1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
4 cloves
salt and pepper
a few sprigs rosemary
1 tsp ground coriander
a little flour and oil for thickening
1 cup beef stock

Cut meat into cubes and brown in some olive oil. Put meat with all other ingredients in a big cast iron pot and cook in oven (180 C). I cooked this meat until it was so tender. I mixed about 1 Tbsp flour and some olive oil and used it to thicken the gravy. Cool the filling.
Cut circles from the puff pastry and make individual pies in little bowls like I did or make 3 family sized pies. Freeze and bake when needed. I do not put pastry at the bottom of my pie dish, but if you do, just bake for a while longer. Brush the uncooked pies with egg wash and bake at 200C until golden and puffy. I got about 8 individual pies from this “recipe”.

Photobucket Image Hosting

So this is then my entry to this month’s “Click” event. I hope you will all join me and enter your pictures too.

24 Responses to “Scrumptious Beef Pot Pies to enjoy the last of winter”

1. bee 11 September 2008 at 4:47 pm #

these are gorgeous. they just invite you to dig in. thanks for your entry, dear nina.

2. Pam 11 September 2008 at 5:57 pm #

I am a pot pie lover… the flakey crust is my favorite part. Lovely photos Nina (like always).

3. Sylvie 11 September 2008 at 6:51 pm #

Beautiful pot pies. Crusts in my opinion are what it’s all about!

4. glamah16 11 September 2008 at 7:06 pm #

You are leaving winter behind and we are going into fall/ winter. I see these delicous pot pies in my future.

5. Anonymous 11 September 2008 at 7:25 pm #

You CAN cook girl. Really my whole family love every recipy I try that I find on your site. The pot pie was delicious and the nuts fruit and Camembert with the sweet vanilla sauce was ….. I have no words. Thanks I am still licking my fingers…..

6. Peter M 11 September 2008 at 8:11 pm #

Meat pies will hit the spot very soon…cool weather around the corner.

7. Rina 11 September 2008 at 9:43 pm #

Dear Nina your food is as lovely as you and your family are. Totaly amazing food and people. Please don’t stop with your incredible stunningly looking food. My family all of a suddon thinks I’m a good cook (thanks to you)

8. [eatingclub] vancouver || js 11 September 2008 at 10:36 pm #

These are spectacular! I love pot pies and that crust looks superflaky!

9. Jeanne 12 September 2008 at 2:10 am #

Oh, I *love* pot pies! These look so heavenly and perfect for our rainy early-onset-of-autumn weather 😉

10. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy 12 September 2008 at 4:35 am #

These are beautiful, Nina! They looks delicious and they will be a perfect entry for Click! too.

11. That Girl 12 September 2008 at 4:55 am #

I’ve got to say, I’ve made family pot pies and I’ve made individual pot pies – individual are SO much cuter!

12. Nina Timm 12 September 2008 at 5:22 am #

bee – I love the juices all running out on the side, but hubby not.Can please everybody all of the time, I suppose.

pam – my favorite is also the flaky crusts.

sylvie – you’re absolutely right.

glamah – I do too!

anonymous(Rina) – It was only a pleasure to cook for you guys..It is always great to see u too!Next time come longer and we go to Hermanus to see the whales, ha-ha I know it is a touchie spot!!!!!

peter m – I’m sure you will enjoy!

eatingclub(vancouver) – Sadly I hanen’t made puff pastry before, but I buy the best there is….you know..life’s to short to peal a pea, kin of thing!!!

jeanne – I cannot tell someone living in England about bad weather, but we have a a long and very wet winter, Sunday another cold front is hitting us and emergency services have only just cleared last weeks damage. I love the rainy weather for then I can cook up a storm, but the rest of Cape Town has had enough!!!

stickgooyecreamychewy – thanks, let’s hold thumbs!

that girl – I think it is more special too!

13. Helene 12 September 2008 at 7:37 pm #

You're at the end of winter & we're at the end of summer. So we're starting to think about making these kind of dishes & also soups to warm us. I love the pictures.

14. Rina 12 September 2008 at 7:44 pm #

We love visiting you!! We enjoy you guys so much (and the eating of course ha ha yummy – but I can tell you one thing I’ve put my foot down about – next year this time it will be Hermanus and the whales and Nina first and then the Namaqualand with its beautiful flowers!! Got to see the whales …. just have to ….. and not missing out on a visit to your lovely parents. They made such an impression on me and Attie. Give them our regards and thank you once again – we stuffed ourselves with your delicious food.

15. Mike of Mike's Table 12 September 2008 at 10:17 pm #

I’m with you on the crusts. Making a crusty exterior just right while keeping the inside of anything also just right is an art form–crispy chicken skin, crusty baguette, pie, etc. I love the pot pies and the photos!

16. Darius T. Williams 13 September 2008 at 1:47 am #

Sooo – you gotta love puff pastry!

-DTW

17. Jan 13 September 2008 at 9:44 am #

Those pies of yours look amazing! I love the crusts on them!!

18. Bellini Valli 13 September 2008 at 2:53 pm #

I enjoy an individual pie as well Nina. The crust just seems that much better…maybe because it is made “just for you”. By the way I have passed an award your way if you care to pick it up :come on down”:D

19. Nina Timm 15 September 2008 at 5:25 am #

helene – thank you! We are having so much rain, that the government has given relief to some communities.

rina – that’s a deal! We really enjoy having you guys too!

mike – don’t get me going on crispy chicken skin……thanks for the compliment.

darius – I just do not have the courage to make it myself.

jan – thanks a lot!

bellini – thank you so much for the award. I loe your blog too!!!!

20. Maryann 16 September 2008 at 11:07 am #

Beautiful, Nina! And I love pot pies. Do you remember when they used to make tuna pot pies? My mom used to feed these to her brood and we loved them 🙂

21. Nina Timm 16 September 2008 at 11:52 am #

maryann – I think everything with a pastry lid is stunning!!! I have a frozen chunk of tuna in my freezer, that hubby caught himself…you have just put an idea in my head!!!

22. Proud Italian Cook 16 September 2008 at 11:24 pm #

I want this for dinner right now Nina! Perfect entry for Click!

23. Micha 10 October 2008 at 1:44 am #

The last photo you have on this post is SO enticing! You make it sound so easy too…I’ll have to try these for sure…hubby LOVES pot pies 🙂

24. Kevin 11 October 2008 at 1:19 pm #

Those look good with the golden brown flaky crusts…mmm…