December 12, 2018

Beer-battered Onion Rings

Posted on September 13, 2008 by in vegetarian

Photobucket

My best post ever on this site has been this Beer-battered Fish. It made me realize that although we are all trying to adapt to a healthier lifestyle, there is something in all of us mere mortals that like things fried and crispy and greasy and not at all good for ye! It is kind of “eating of the forbidden fruit…”
Proper pub-style onion rings are a rare find and some restaurants would opt for caramelized onions rather than running the risk of serving soggy onion rings. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love caramelized onions, but sometimes a steak calls for crispy-on-the-outside-and-soft-on-the-inside-onion rings.

So I thought..why not use the beer batter on the onion rings. My plan worked and as you can see, they were just perfect!!!!! I halved the batter recipe and used 2 big onions.
Peel onions and slice in about 3-4mm thick slices. Loosen the rings and dust with flour. Dip in the batter and fry until golden brown. Drain on some kitchen toweling and sprinkle with Smoked Maldon Salt. Delicious!!!

Photobucket

Tags: , ,

30 Responses to “Beer-battered Onion Rings”

1. Darius T. Williams 13 September 2008 at 2:19 pm #

Great pics (as always). coming here makes me realize that I need to do something to step up my picture game – lol!

-DTW

2. Bellini Valli 13 September 2008 at 2:49 pm #

Onion rings are one of my hidden passions Nina. I make a baked version but have never tried making my own battered ones. Yours just look like a little slice of heaven:D

3. kat 13 September 2008 at 3:13 pm #

Oh man there is nothing like a perfectly cooked onion ring!

4. Peter M 13 September 2008 at 6:13 pm #

What you’ve done here is so elusive to many…perfectly done onion rings!

5. RecipeGirl 13 September 2008 at 8:39 pm #

Goodness these look perfect. For those days when you just need to have a bunch of deep fried stuff!!

6. Brilynn 13 September 2008 at 9:06 pm #

Those look AMAZING!!

I love onion rings but have never made them myself.

7. Jules 13 September 2008 at 10:13 pm #

I love ontion rings and these look scrummy!

8. Natasha 13 September 2008 at 10:54 pm #

They look so gorgeous! I want to make some right now, but I’m confused: how much beer did you use. Are your beer bottles 0.3 l?

9. That Girl 13 September 2008 at 11:11 pm #

Onion rings are a definite guilty pleasure of mine.

10. chuck 13 September 2008 at 11:14 pm #

OMG, look that those individual onion rings. I’ll take those onion rings over any french fry any day. Yummy!

11. Deborah 14 September 2008 at 1:28 am #

YUM! I can’t resist anything fried, especially onion rings!

12. Jan 14 September 2008 at 10:15 am #

WOW – now they are what I call onion rings! FANTASTIC pictures!!

13. Lori Lynn 14 September 2008 at 11:00 am #

Nina- you always have such a clever and unique presentations.

14. Maryann 14 September 2008 at 1:29 pm #

Hi Nina! Who doesn’t love these? They look so crispy good!

15. Sylvie 14 September 2008 at 6:50 pm #

Simply beautiful!

16. Elly 15 September 2008 at 4:13 am #

Oooh Nina, these look TOO GOOD. I don’t eat onion rings all that often but when I crave them I REALLY crave some nice crispy (and of course greasy 🙂 ones. These look perfect!

17. Nina Timm 15 September 2008 at 5:19 am #

darius – thank you. I is really a case of practice makes perfect, so keep trying!!!

bellini – it sure was heaven biting into them!

kat – you are so right!

peter m – like your cooking is elusive to me…..you’re just too good!

recipe girl – I know about those days….

brilynn – this is a good reason to start….

jules – oh boy they were.

nastasha – oops, well I mix the egg(s) and the flour and while stirring add some beer. What you want is a thickish lumpy batter – then drink the rest of your beer.

that girl – I think we all feel guilty when eating fried food!

chuck – I cannot agree with you more..

deborah – why resist it, go for it!

jan – thanks so much!

lori lynn – sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, but I just keep on trying. Thank you!

maryann – they were indeed!

sylvie – thank you

elly – we also try and keep fried food for special occasions.

18. Janna 15 September 2008 at 8:49 pm #

Can we be family so you can cook for me?

19. Pam 16 September 2008 at 3:13 am #

Onion rings are my FAVORITE! I was just telling a friend the other day that on my death bed, I want onion rings. These beauties look fantastic Nina.

20. glamah16 16 September 2008 at 6:14 pm #

YUMM. I love onion rings, They even work topped on vegetables like green beans.

21. Jeanne 16 September 2008 at 6:17 pm #

Ooooh, I love onion rings! I remember a steakhouse in PE (was it El CId?) that used to make onion rings that looked just like this and were always super-crispy, not soggy. Like you say, healthy eating is good, but sometimes it’s just gotta be fried 🙂

22. bee 17 September 2008 at 7:25 am #

looks wonderful and crisp. excellent presentation nina.

-jai

23. [eatingclub] vancouver || js 18 September 2008 at 1:57 am #

How beautiful, how delicious! It’s been so long since I’ve had onion rings and your pictures make me yearn for them more. . .Yummy!

24. Rose&Thorn 18 September 2008 at 9:09 am #

We love onion rings, you have given me a great idea for dinner tonight. I bought some oak smoked salt which I think will go perfectly with these.

25. Jeanine 18 September 2008 at 4:07 pm #

Mmm…now THOSE are onion rings! Wow! Love your blog & pics, makes me hungry every time!

26. Nina Timm 19 September 2008 at 7:45 am #

janna – sure sister!!!

pam – I hope you do not plan on going to your deathbed soon just to get onion rings.

glamah – that’s a novel idea!

Jeanne – yip, I remember that steakhouse!!!

bee – thanks so much!

eatingclub(vancouver) – glad I could inspire you!

rose – you’ll love it!!

janine – thank you, I aim to please!

27. Kevin 11 October 2008 at 1:22 pm #

Those onion rings look so nice and crispy and good! I don’t know why I didn’t think of beer battering some onion rings. I am going to have to get to making these soon.

28. rhid 12 October 2008 at 5:21 am #

These look really good! Nice and battered but not too thick. Really nice!

29. Anonymous 4 September 2010 at 7:17 am #

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

30. Lindsey 30 December 2012 at 7:33 am #

Hi Nina, your beautiful website and exciting recipes make me want to rush into the kitchen and start cooking. My busy life has minimized my kitchen adventures of late. Thanks for the inspiration. 🙂