May 15, 2021

Calamari Salad

Posted on September 16, 2008 by in seafood

Things have been pretty hectic around here with catering, a test series at school and a car being in the garage for repairs so not much planning has gone into family meals.
I found some calamari steaks at the fish monger the other day and had it in the fridge for a couple of days while trying to find a good recipe for it. There was no time for slow cooked food, so one lunchtime my daughter and I got back from school and we decided today is the day for a calamari salad….

I simply scored the calamari with a crisscross pattern and marinated it for about 10 minutes in Olive oil, lemon juice and soy sauce.
In the meantime we made a salad with a young Asian mix leaves, halved cocktail tomatoes, cucumber and some Strawberries. The strawberries were Chloe’s idea and what a stunning combination it turned out to be…. When the salad was ready, I heated a pan and quickly fried the calamari – about 30 seconds on each side. Serve with a simple dressing of your choice. To keep the Asian flavors I used a glug of olive oil, some soy sauce, lemon juice and zest and a pinch of sugar. I thought about adding a few drops of peanut oil, but in hindsight I think it would have over-powered the subtle sweetness of the strawberries. The salad was a delight and cooking with my child was such a pleasure She has a wonderful palate already and she is only 7. I cannot wait to try more of her creations….

For more of Chloe’s recipes, simply follow the links below!

20 Responses to “Calamari Salad”

1. Jan 16 September 2008 at 1:17 pm #

That salad looks good! I love the idea of the strawberries too.

2. kat 16 September 2008 at 2:22 pm #

wow, she does have quite the palate for 7!

3. Peter M 16 September 2008 at 2:54 pm #

I score my squid too and do a salad with it grilled…stunning and delish.

4. Fearless Kitchen 16 September 2008 at 4:49 pm #

This looks absolutely wonderful. Squid is a great ingredient – it’s so versatile and it cooks up so quickly!

5. Janna 16 September 2008 at 5:16 pm #

This looks AMAZING! Please tell Miss Chloe she did an awesome job!

6. Pam 16 September 2008 at 5:32 pm #

I love cooking with my children! This salad is stunning. I love all the flavors, colors and textures. Another beautiful photo too. Great job Chloe!

7. Hopie 16 September 2008 at 5:40 pm #

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I’m having fun exploring yours. You take such lovely photos of your creations!

8. Nik Snacks 16 September 2008 at 6:05 pm #

I like how you scored the calamari. That is so cute you made this with your little one πŸ™‚ It’s starts right now!

9. glamah16 16 September 2008 at 6:12 pm #

Im loving this salad. Thegrilled calamari on a bed of grrens. Awesome.

10. Jeanne 16 September 2008 at 6:15 pm #

Sjoe, I miss calamari steaks! You get them here, but not as often as you do at home. My ex-boyfriend’s mom used to make a mean calamari steak that she marinated overnight in pineapple puree and it was always butter soft. Love the addition of strawberries – you have a little gourmet on your hands πŸ™‚

11. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 16 September 2008 at 7:06 pm #

I always enjoy sharing a meal with children that have such an advanced palate – isn’t that just the BEST!? πŸ™‚

I love the criss-crosses – it just makes the salad that much more elegant, Nina!

12. That Girl 17 September 2008 at 5:59 am #

Calamari is such an underrated food! I love it so much!

13. Nafisa 17 September 2008 at 2:11 pm #

Hey Nina. Its Nafisa from foodblogs.24.com. I’ve duplicated my blog here: http://nafisashellskitchen.wordpress.com and have added a link to your site.

Just thought I’d let you know.

Ciao

14. Rose&Thorn 18 September 2008 at 9:05 am #

I find such joy sitting down with my son and having lunch together after school. Those are the moments which you treasure forever! They can come up with some great ideas too.

15. Jan 18 September 2008 at 12:05 pm #

Nina – I have given you an award – please pop over to get it. Jan x

16. Daziano 18 September 2008 at 5:44 pm #

Calamari salad is one of my favorites!!! Gorgeous photo!

17. Darius T. Williams 19 September 2008 at 1:14 am #

Loks good…like, for real – you know that. I’d love this…just with no calamari, that’s all.

-DTW

18. Nina Timm 19 September 2008 at 7:39 am #

jan – I think today would be a good day to have another one!!!

kat – she does, doesn’t she!

peter – great minds think alike then?

fearless kitchen – I have calamari tubes that I want to stuff for my ext calamari post!!!

janna – Miss Chloe says: “Thank you!”

pan – it teaches me a lot of patience, for sure!

hopie – welcome on my site, and take your time, there is lots to see!!

nik snacks – you’re right, food brings people together and if I can leave my children this legacy one day, I will die a happy person!

glamah – it WAS stunning!!

jeanne – that sounds interesting!!! I thought these steaks would be touch, because they were frozen and I did not marinade them, but surprisingly they were deliciously soft.

jenndz – it beats fish fingers and mash anyday and that is what most children around here are exposed to!

that girl – I am definitely going to use it more often now!

nafisa – thanks for the visit and the link, I appreciate it so much!

rose – I feel we need to create these times where the children can communicate with us, that is where they will tell us the happy things and God forbid also the sad things if it happens!

jan – I am honored!!!!Thanks Jan

daziano – it is funny you say that, because Foodgawker rejected it!

darius – come on!!!!Give it a try!!!

19. Cynthia 19 September 2008 at 9:55 pm #

Nina, the bottom line is that I love you but sometimes I have to question myself about that, especially when you flaunt calamari like that in my face knowing the I can’t get any here in B’dos unless I am willing to sell my car to buy it! πŸ˜€

20. Nina Timm 24 September 2008 at 10:32 am #

cynthia – Do you know the song…..”love hurts!”