September 22, 2019

Spicy butternut soup to ease off the cold….

Posted on September 22, 2008 by in soups

I am always fascinated how the changes of seasons allow us to share similar climates even if it is only for a short period of time. We, here in the southern hemisphere are changing over from soups to salads and you in the northern hemisphere are doing totally the opposite.
The last 2 weeks however we have experienced heavy rain and snowfalls so eating salads were very low on the priority list. I think for you guys going into fall, this is delicious, light and a perfect introduction to winter foods.

Spicy butternut soup

5 medium sized butternuts (When they are huge, I only use 1-2)
1 medium onion
1 heaped Tsp curry powder
2cm piece grated ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 peeled and grated apple
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
1 liter of milk
250 ml cream
125ml orange juice
zest of the orange
salt and pepper
grated nutmeg

Saute the onion, garlic, ginger and apple in some oil. Add curry powder.
When translucent, add butternut and stock.
Close lid and cook until butternut is soft.
Add milk and orange juice.
Puree the soup with a stick blender of in a food processor.
Pour back into pot and add all seasoning, such as salt, pepper,orange zest and nutmeg.
Stir in 200ml of the cream, keep the rest for decoration.
Please taste your soup and add, maybe a little lemon juice to tart it up, let your own taste buds lead you.

Caramelized onions

2-3 onions, sliced thinly
vegetable oil
sugar and salt
balsamic vinegar.
Heat oil in pan and add onions. Turn the heat down and add sugar, salt and vinegar. Allow onions to braise slowly until golden in color.

Spoon some of the onions in a soup bowl and pour hot soup around it. Serve with a dollop of cream cheese and chives.

For another serving suggestion, follow this link.

Tags: , ,

30 Responses to “Spicy butternut soup to ease off the cold….”

1. Pam 22 September 2008 at 5:16 pm #

This is a perfect soup. I love that you add orange zest and juice to it. The fresh loaf of bread looks amazing too.

2. Bridgett 22 September 2008 at 6:22 pm #

I am going to have to give this a try now with the weather changing here. I love the addition of curry!

3. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 22 September 2008 at 6:44 pm #

Butternut squash is some of my very favorite! The color and consistency are just awesome!

4. katiez 22 September 2008 at 8:46 pm #

Interesting soup with both apple and orange. And the caramel onions… Sounds wonderful. Too bad about your snow.. but good excuse for the soup!

5. Peter M 22 September 2008 at 9:03 pm #

I too add ginger for this soup but no need for apple…the squash is sweet enough for my tastes.

6. RecipeGirl 22 September 2008 at 9:46 pm #

I wish I had seen your post before my trip to the store. I need some soup to soothe a sore throat today!

So colorful and yummy looking!!

7. Mike of Mike's Table 22 September 2008 at 9:52 pm #

This is one of my favorite kinds of soups and I love how you prepared it. I never would have considered the addition of apple–I’ll have to try it out this season

8. Ben 22 September 2008 at 11:22 pm #

Look at the color of that soup! Perfect for fall and winter. Thanks for the recipe 😀

9. That Girl 23 September 2008 at 3:22 am #

This is one of my favorite soups!

10. Anonymous 23 September 2008 at 8:24 am #

THE HUSBAND SAID: ” This is in my top 5 of things you make and is constantly fighting for the lead…and as you know Nin. I hate soup!The citrus definately makes a difference.
    Next question… when are you going to finish your book?????

11. Nina Timm 23 September 2008 at 5:04 pm #

pam – it does give a lovely nuance to the soup!

bridgette – just the right thing to warm up the tummy.

jenndz – I normally like a chunky soup, but this one has to be pureed!

katiez – thx for stopping by. I am the only one in the family who loves the cold!

peter – I think the apple(granny smith) breaks the sweetness, but that is just personal.

recipe girl – I really hope you are better!

mike – you’ll be surprised, go ahead try it!

ben – I could do with another round of winter…..

that girl – join the club!

the husband – I know that…..about the book, I’m a bit uninspired right now……will repent!!!

12. Lori Lynn 23 September 2008 at 5:58 pm #

That does set the mood for autumn, thanks Nina!

I like the red background in your photo too.

13. Jan 23 September 2008 at 6:23 pm #

Love the look of that soup!
    I agree with the ginger – or it would be too sweet for me. But I wouldn’t have thought to add apple – a great idea.

14. Helen 23 September 2008 at 6:39 pm #

What a gorgeous soup. I am loving all the autumn produce we are getting now over here now as the weather turns cooler and I actually squealed with excitement when I found a squash in my vegetable box the other week!

15. bee 23 September 2008 at 6:41 pm #

dear nina,
    your inbox hates me. everything bounces back. do you have a gmail ID? or any other ID? send me an e-mail, please at jugalbandee@gmail.com

thanks, hun, and sorry to be such a pest.

bee

16. Nina Timm 23 September 2008 at 8:07 pm #

lori lynn – ya, the red does add a bit of warmth, doesn’t it!

jan – I think you will be amazed at the taste.

helen – I find it amazing that butternut squash is such a rare find, here we can buy them in bags for next to nothing during winter.

bee – I need to speak to you about the judging thing….I’ll await your email!!!!

17. Olga 23 September 2008 at 10:39 pm #

What a beautiful pictures! I’ve made a similar soup with roasted apples and pears before, but never thought about orange juice: totally makes sense 😉

18. Nina Timm 24 September 2008 at 10:29 am #

olga – now there is a new idea…roasted pears and apples!!!

19. Darius T. Williams 24 September 2008 at 2:04 pm #

Wow – this soup looks really good!

-DTW

20. Rose&Thorn 25 September 2008 at 11:15 am #

You’ll always win my heart with a good soup – any time.

21. Nina Timm 25 September 2008 at 12:00 pm #

darius – thank you so much!

rose – in this waether, my heart also yearns soup all the time!

22. Jeanne 25 September 2008 at 7:21 pm #

Curry in butternut soup should be 100% compulsory – it just adds the certain something that sweet butternut needs. Sounds delicious and gorgeous pic.

23. Nina Timm 27 September 2008 at 5:49 pm #

jeanne – you are so right!

24. Shari@Whisk: a food blog 28 September 2008 at 9:32 pm #

Butternut squash with a hint of orange sounds amazing! Beautiful photo!

25. Hopie 2 October 2008 at 5:22 pm #

I’ve been drooling over butternut squash soup recipes for a while and I just posted one my blog. I mentioned yours because your caramelized onions inspired me 😉

26. Sophie 7 October 2008 at 7:25 pm #

There are two butternut squashes sitting on my counter just waiting to be transformed into this soup! It looks so tasty, the ingredients you added also make it fresh and healthy, such a cozy soup! I would love to feature this recipe on our blog and the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you’re interested. Thanks 🙂

27. Kevin 11 October 2008 at 1:27 pm #

I really like the sound of serving butternut squash soup with caramelized onions. Great idea!

28. aleta meadowlark 13 October 2008 at 2:59 am #

Ooo, I made a butternut soup this fall too! Yours has a much more sophisticated blend, I’ll have to give a try!

29. Darren 9 October 2009 at 5:29 pm #

Nina,
    I used to work as a chef in several large hotel chains and we are trained to be able to tell when a recipe will be good. I am sure this recipe will wonderful.

So sure that I have 8 large butternuts from my garden waiting for this recipe. Thanks. Nice Work!

30. Anonymous 9 November 2010 at 7:01 am #

I need to enquire of you how desire a time
    do surf internet a day?
    And what are you doing?
    Working, chating, searching inexperienced information?
    And what your [url=http://www.canoscanlide20.com/ ]favorite site[/url]?