March 8, 2021

Sushi for beginners…..

Posted on September 24, 2008 by in seafood

On Friday is my birthday and when you get to this time of your life, you try and avoid big celebrations. Thank goodness for people like my wonderful mother-in-law who thinks that birthdays should be celebrated well and who then send down 4 plane tickets so that my whole family could go away for the school holiday. Thanks mom, you are a star!

I do not have much of a recipe for you today, but I am amazed every time I make sushi at how comfortable my children is with eating this delicacy. My son does not care much about the ginger and the soy, but he literally pops the nigiri like MnM”s. I feel good knowing that my children have acquired this taste and that they are eating something so incredibly nutritious.

Photobucket

Tags: , ,

37 Responses to “Sushi for beginners…..”

1. Sylvie 24 September 2008 at 11:09 pm #

I haven’t made sushi in ages. Yours looks lovely! Enjoy your trip and your birthday!

2. That Girl 24 September 2008 at 11:57 pm #

I am always so impressed by people who make their own sushi

3. glamah16 25 September 2008 at 4:46 am #

Todays children are so fortunate to be expose to so mant foods. Yours look good.

4. Abigail 25 September 2008 at 6:55 am #

That looks beautiful and tasty! And happy birthday! Mine’s next week – wonder if we’re close in age – but I won’t ask if you won’t! πŸ˜‰

5. Jan 25 September 2008 at 8:11 am #

Happy Birthday for Friday!
    I have never tried Sushi – I must give it a go.

6. Marianna 25 September 2008 at 11:16 am #

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    I am craving sushi- each weekend I tell myself I should make some! Wish I could pull some out of your photos- they look amazing!!

7. Nina Timm 25 September 2008 at 11:59 am #

sylvie – I will most certainly, thx!

that girl – You could do it too and be impressed with yourself…it is dead easy!

glamah – absolutely!!!

abigail – let’s just say I am a few years away from 1/2 a century…how OLD is that!!!!

jan – thx my friend….

marianna – thanks so much! I hope this weekend you will do it!!!

8. nicisme 25 September 2008 at 1:01 pm #

That looks delicious, but my kids wouldn’t touch it.
    Have a great birthday, wonder where you are off to on your trip?

9. Peter M 25 September 2008 at 1:28 pm #

Nina, that sushi looks as good as anything I’ve eaten at the restaurants.

Have a wonderful birthday tomorrow and I say your family cooks for you tomorrow!

10. Pam 25 September 2008 at 4:06 pm #

Oh Nina, this looks so good. I have never made sushi but I really should try.

11. kat 25 September 2008 at 4:36 pm #

oh its great your kids eat sushi, its amazing how many people, even adults fear it

12. Bridgett 25 September 2008 at 5:58 pm #

Enjoy a wonderful Birthday tomorrow! I think it is great that your kids happily eat such a great dish! Your photos never cease to amaze me, they are always gorgeous.

13. Hopie 25 September 2008 at 6:09 pm #

I love homemade sushi! It’s fun to make and you get to put exactly what you want in it! I posted your award on my blog. Thanks again and happy birthday!

14. Jeanne 25 September 2008 at 7:15 pm #

Hey – hope you are going to have a fab birthday tomorrow! And I *love* sushi. There is a sushi place here called Itsu that is just my favourite. I know it’s slightly westernised sushi, but it’s delicious so we don’t stand on ceremony πŸ™‚ The best sushi I’ve had recently in SA was at Fu-Shi in Plett. Divine!

15. Helene 25 September 2008 at 8:46 pm #

It’s been a while since I made Sushis but I love them. Nice pics.

16. katiez 25 September 2008 at 9:54 pm #

Gorgeous sushi!!!
    And have a great Birthday!

17. Mike of Mike's Table 25 September 2008 at 10:44 pm #

This comes at an opportune time as I have sushi making on my mind for the coming week! It looks great

18. bee 26 September 2008 at 1:58 am #

happy birthday, nina.

19. Jaime 26 September 2008 at 2:20 am #

wow, your sushi is so perfect looking! i have never tried making my own at home, but i imagine it can’t be that hard, right? πŸ™‚

20. Nafisa 26 September 2008 at 11:57 am #

Wow, your sushi is stunning! I can have sushi as a meal, not just starters πŸ™‚

I’ve added my sushi attempt to my blog as a new page, if you have time check it out. Looks nowhere as good as yours.

PS Have played the blog game.

Have a great weekend!

21. Anonymous 26 September 2008 at 7:34 pm #

2 of vegies will do the trick
    happy birthday mom!
    I hope you had enjoed your day today”
    and that you have many blessinys.
    LOVE CHLOE

22. Anonymous 26 September 2008 at 7:39 pm #

HeyNin!!
    Youre one in a million. Tonight we are braaing (barbeque) We had national Braai day in SA Wednesday and we are glad to celebrate it with you in Port Elizabeth. Luv you stacks. Des (THE HUSBAND)

23. Janna 26 September 2008 at 9:30 pm #

I am so impressed! I crave sushi, need sushi, big puffy heart LOVE sushi! I have never tried to make my own. Your looks beautiful and as always so tasty!

24. Bellini Valli 27 September 2008 at 3:22 pm #

Happy Birthday Nina. I hope your day is everything you hope it to be. Enjoy your holiday as well:D

25. RecipeGirl 27 September 2008 at 4:59 pm #

These are so beautiful! Sushi is on my list of things to make.

Side note… I ate lunch w/ my son at his elem. school yesterday and there was a little Asian girl sitting near us eating her Mom’s homemade sushi (with chopsticks!) So cute!

26. Nina Timm 27 September 2008 at 5:47 pm #

nicisme – thank you for the good wishes…keep trying, mine did not eat sushi at first either.

peter m – I have to tell you that I not only cooked for my family, but I went to a friend’s house and gave her a quick lesson on Malay Curry….

pam – if you like eating it, you should really try to make your own.

kat – I have to tell you that I am one of those adults…and it is not the raw fish, but I do not like the texture of the rice, cold…

bridgette – thank you for the wishes as well as the comment, I appreciate.

hopie – that, to my children is the great thing…they get to choose the ingredients…

jeanne – guess where I am…PE!!!

helene – you really should!!!!

katiez – thanks dear!

mike – it is the second time I think that we had the same idea about food…great minds…

bee – thanks my friend!

jaime – it really is so simple….

nafisa – there is nothing wrong with your sushi, kiddo!

anonymous 1 and 2 – I am glad you like my girlie…thx for sharing mommy’s passion!
    thanks for bringing me here for my birthday!!!!

janna – you should try..there is something sexy about making this together with your hubby!

bellini – thank you dear Val!

recipe girl – my son insisted that I pack some sushi for him to school…where are the days of PBJ sandwiches????

27. Nina Timm 27 September 2008 at 5:48 pm #

pam – if you like eating it, you should really try to make your own.

bridgette – thank you for the wishes as well as the comment, I appreciate.

jeanne – guess where I am…PE!!!

helene – you really should!!!!

katiez – thanks dear!

bee – thanks my friend!

jaime – it really is so simple….

nafisa – there is nothing wrong with your sushi, kiddo!

thanks for bringing me here for my birthday!!!!

bellini – thank you dear Val!

28. Nina Timm 27 September 2008 at 5:48 pm #

pam – if you like eating it, you should really try to make your own.

bridgette – thank you for the wishes as well as the comment, I appreciate.

jeanne – guess where I am…PE!!!

helene – you really should!!!!

katiez – thanks dear!

bee – thanks my friend!

jaime – it really is so simple….

nafisa – there is nothing wrong with your sushi, kiddo!

thanks for bringing me here for my birthday!!!!

bellini – thank you dear Val!

29. Lori Lynn 28 September 2008 at 12:18 am #

Nice sushi rolls! And wishing you a very happy birthday Nina!

30. noobcook 29 September 2008 at 3:52 pm #

Happy belated birthday… your sushi is making me drool, I just had dinner ;p

31. myfrenchkitchen 30 September 2008 at 9:23 am #

What a lucky girl you are! Although I’m too late…I hope you had a wonderful time and even more wonderful birhtday!
    Ronell

32. Jessy and her dog Winnie 3 October 2008 at 2:11 am #

Your sushi looks so amazing! Im seriously impressed!! I made it once, but it didnt look half as good as yours!

33. taste memory 3 October 2008 at 1:59 pm #

these are beautiful! you roll perfectly πŸ˜‰

My kids love sushi maki too – I think kids love it so much because they’re miniature, delicate + jewel like bites/tastes great too!

Happy Birthday weekend!!!

34. Maryann 4 October 2008 at 2:33 am #

aww, I’m late wishing you a happy birthday? I hope you had a great day, Nina πŸ™‚
    btw…do you know who is hosting DMBLGIT? Can you write me if you do?
    Thanks kiddo!
    Big hug!
    Maryann xox

35. Maryann 4 October 2008 at 1:52 pm #

Never mind, Nina. I’ve got it! xox

36. eliza 5 October 2008 at 7:21 am #

i’m a little bit late, but it’s better late than never, so happy belated birthday to you! you make great rolls, and happy to hear you have fun making them.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Low Carb Sushi - My Easy Cooking - February 21, 2021

[…] love sushi and I can say my sushi-making skills have improved significantly since my first attempt. Over the years I have tried to perfect the art of making maki,Β and to this day my sushi starter […]