July 18, 2019

Apple and Coconut Crumble…always a comforting thought!

Posted on November 19, 2008 by in baked goods

Apple and Coconut Crumble

Apple and Coconut Crumble. There is something comforting about apple pie and as I browse through the different posts, I often see recipes for ” the ultimate apple pie” or “apple pie like my mother use to make it”!
The recipe that I am sharing with you today is a recipe that I got from my mother, but it is not exactly a family heirloom or such, but just a delicious apple pie recipe with a few twists.

Apple and Coconut Crumble

For the crust

125gr butter – room temperature
180ml sugar
375ml flour
10ml baking powder
375ml fine dry coconut

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix flour, baking powder and coconut and add to butter mixture. You have dry crumbly mixture. Press 2/3 of this mixture in a pie dish and keep aside. Now make the filling.

For the filling

1 large tinned pie apples – about 825gr
125ml sugar
125 ml sultanas
1 Tbsp custard powder

Heat the apples, sugar and sultanas with a little water in a pot. Mix custard powder with a little water and mix in with the apples. Cook for 1 minute and let it cool. Spoon the pie filling into the prepared pie dish and to with the remaining 1/3 dry crumb mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180 C. Serve with ice-cream, clotted cream or yogurt for a lighter option.
Apple and Coconut Crumble

11 Responses to “Apple and Coconut Crumble…always a comforting thought!”

1. That Girl 20 November 2008 at 5:03 am #

Apples and coconut is a new combo for me, but it sounds good!

2. Rose&Thorn 20 November 2008 at 12:22 pm #

This sounds really great, definitely will try this.

3. kat 20 November 2008 at 5:12 pm #

Oh I bet the coconut is so good with the apple

4. Bellini Valli 20 November 2008 at 5:40 pm #

This is what blogging is all about sharing wonderful family tried and true recipes with us all. The award is so well deserved as well Nina. Maryann is a sweetheart and so is Helene (my fellow Canadian):D

5. Cynthia 21 November 2008 at 2:07 am #

I am definitely going to be making this.

6. Maryann 21 November 2008 at 3:40 am #

Nina! You are such a sweety! I feel the same way about you! Thank you so much for this award. You’ve made my day.
    I like your recipe. The custard inside ..I think my bloke would love this. I think I’ll try it for my thanksgiving dessert table 🙂

7. Kevin 21 November 2008 at 4:10 am #

I really like the sound of using coconut in an apple crumble!!

8. Nina Timm 21 November 2008 at 4:50 pm #

that girl – always something new to try around here!

rose – you will love it!

kat – it is not an overly sweet pie recipe – just good!

bellini – amazing how we make new friends here in the blogosphere!

cynthia – please do and let me know what you think!

maryann – my pleasure!

kevin – I have found one or two people who do not eat coconut, but hey, we can’t please them all the time!

9. Elly 23 November 2008 at 2:46 am #

Ooh, I love the coconut here. I’ll have to give this combo a try.

10. Jeanne 24 November 2008 at 7:47 pm #

Coconut – now there’s a nice addition to apple pie! Love the photos too 🙂

11. Demi 21 August 2009 at 6:20 am #

Lekka Nins thank you for all the research&hardwork; to help us treat our families.Take care