October 14, 2019

Ultimate cured Beef and homemade mustard sandwich

Posted on November 20, 2008 by in beef

Ultimate cured Beef

The ultimate cured Beef and homemade mustard sandwich. Christmas is 1 month away and people here in South Africa are stocking up on all the cured meats for the season. The favorites in this part of the world is gammon, pickled ox tongue and or course corned beef.
My gran and my mom used to cure their own meat, but these days I buy it already cured and vacuum packed…ready to cook and enjoy.
If you feel adventurous and want to cure your own meat, click here! Or ask your local butcher to prepare it for you. The truth is, in my house Cured beef is a stock item when I can afford it, because it makes the best sandwich with crispy lettuce and homemade mustard. For all your condensmilk lovers out there, this mustard recipe is for YOU!!!! It is sweet, tangy and it is the perfect partner for this cured beef, fish, potatoes, salad or chicken.

Ultimate cured Beef
Sweet, tangy mustard

1 tin condensed milk
1/2 tin white wine vinegar
1 heaped Tbsp dry mustard powder
1 tbsp fine apricot jam

Method

Pour the condensed milk in a glass or stainless steel bowl. Now, fill the tin(condensed milk) halfway with the vinegar and add the dry mustard. Mix the mustard and vinegar until all lumps are removed and add to the condensed milk. Mix well until the mixture starts to thicken. Add the apricot jam and mix well. Let the mustard rest in the fridge for 30 min. Serve immediately with thin slices of the beef or store in a glass jar in the fridge. The mustard lasts for a long time in the fridge.

Tags: , , ,

18 Responses to “Ultimate cured Beef and homemade mustard sandwich”

1. kat 21 November 2008 at 1:54 am #

I can think of a lot of sandwiches that mustard would be good with

2. Cynthia 21 November 2008 at 2:05 am #

Look at how wicked you are with that shot! 🙂

3. Kevin 21 November 2008 at 4:09 am #

Making your own mustard sounds like fun!

4. Snooky doodle 21 November 2008 at 9:50 am #

interesting mustard reecipe 🙂

5. Jan 21 November 2008 at 3:30 pm #

Nina that looks amazing! I MUST try that mustard of yours – you are making me hungry!

6. Jan 21 November 2008 at 3:34 pm #

Me again – Nina what size tin was your condensed milk?

7. Nina Timm 21 November 2008 at 4:47 pm #

kat – you are so right!

cynthia – yes, wicked old me!

kevin – and it is so easy too!

snooky doodle – around here it is almost a family tradition with pork and cured beef!

jan – the only size available here in SA is 397g. Hope you like it!

8. Bellini Valli 21 November 2008 at 6:37 pm #

Simple and delicious Nina. It reminds me of the Montreal Smoked meat I enjoyed when I lived back East:D

9. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 21 November 2008 at 9:19 pm #

Oh I think I am drooling. I am loving that mustard! I think I could eat it with a spoon!

10. Mike of Mike's Table 21 November 2008 at 11:26 pm #

Very straightforward and it sounds delicious. I’d happily tear through that sandwich

11. That Girl 22 November 2008 at 1:48 am #

Very impressed by the homemade mustard.

12. Pam 22 November 2008 at 7:30 am #

Nina, I got your e-mail. I’ve tried to respond but it won’t deliver because it’s been rejected by your domain? Anyway, Thanks for letting me know about the problem. We removed a widget, please try again and let me know if it works better for you.

Your site is one of my favorites too and I was wondering where you have been.

This sandwich looks amazing. I’ve never made my own mustard before – I’ll have to give it a try. The apple and coconut crumple in the previous post is making my mouth water. Your pictures are as lovely as ever.

Thanks again and keep me posted.

13. Nina Timm 22 November 2008 at 7:41 am #

bellini vali – it sounds delicious too!

jenndz – beware it is not a mustard that you would find on the Heartfoundation’s Approved list!

mike – I am sure you would!It is a man-sized sandwich!

that girl – thank you!

pam – I left comments on your site. Thx for fixing the problem, sory about the lost widget!

14. Jeanne 24 November 2008 at 7:49 pm #

I love corned beef sandwiches and that pic of yours is pure foodp0rn!

And isn’t if funny how all the best South African home-made sauces feature apricot jam?!

15. Chef E 25 November 2008 at 2:53 am #

I am sure you have been told this before, but your food shots are so darn delicious!

16. thepassionatecook 25 November 2008 at 8:43 pm #

gorgeous picture! wow, i wish i could tuck into this right now!

17. glamah16 25 November 2008 at 11:37 pm #

That mustard sauce is original. I have to try it.

18. Le laquet 27 November 2008 at 8:08 am #

You can’t get proper “corned beef” here just the canned variety. I remember my grandad making his own – delicious!

You know bizarrely (as I am writing on a food blog) the word verification word is a real one and it’s dining!