December 6, 2019

Hermanus and swordfish with basil mayo

Posted on January 5, 2009 by in seafood

Hermanus is within reach of Cape Town International Airport and renowned for its champagne air,long stretches of beach, mild climate, rich floral kingdom and friendly environment.

“Hermanus, also described as the Riviera of the South, offers the best shore-based whalewatching in the world. Nature lovers from all over the world visit Hermanus to view these magnificent creatures from the beaches and the cliffs.

Every year around July, locals eagerly await the arrival of special guests of honour, the Southern Right Whales. These visitors are an endless source of delight as they gambol in Walker Bay, in easy view of the cliff paths. They favour the relatively shallow waters of the bay for breeding and mating.

During the summer months the white sandy beaches are filled with holiday makers enjoying the sunny weather and excellent swimming in the sea. Hermanus is the ideal overwintering resort for visitors who wish to escape the cold Northern Hemisphere.”
This picturesque town is no longer a small village and during summer holidays it is a favorite destination for many South Africans and during our winter the town is packed with visitors from abroad. Hermanus has many things to offer such as excellent wine routes, nature reserves, markets, diving with sharks and excellent accommodation in hotels and guest houses.

My family has been going to Hermanus every year now for the last 20 years and I hope this tradition will live on for many years to come. We have a wonderful home in a little village just outside ( 5 km) Hermanus, called Onrus. My children associate Onrus with Ouma and Oupa(Gran and Grandpa), tins and tins of Christmas cookies, potjiekos, braaivleis(barbeque) and lots of love and laughter. This year has been no exception to the rule and we had a glorious time with friends and family. The focus of course is always on the food and in the next few posts, I will share with you some of the delicious meals we had.
Before I share today’s recipe with you however, I want to wish you all an eventful 2009. I trust that you will all be blessed with good health and that you will have the strength to handle whatever life throws at you. God bless you all in 2009!
Photobucket
We are a meat-lovin’ family and when we are at our holiday home we over-indulge hopelessly on meat such as lamb, beef and pork, so normally after a December vacation we go on a meat fast for a month or so just to recuperate. I found some Swordfish fillets in the fridge that our holiday tenants left and that was ideal for tonight’s supper. I simply cut the fillets in portions, seasoned it with salt and pepper and pan-fried them in some olive oil. I made a delicious and light Basil and Buttermilk Mayo to go with the fish.

Swordfish with Basil Mayo

1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 handful of basil leaves
black pepper
zest and juice of a lemon

Blend together and pour over fish. Serve with fresh, boiled potatoes and a light green salad.

23 Responses to “Hermanus and swordfish with basil mayo”

1. Maryann 6 January 2009 at 1:23 am #

That is a beautiful dish, Nina. Happy new year to you too! Did you take that picture of the breaching whale? It’s gorgeous!

2. Maryann 6 January 2009 at 5:00 am #

It’s just me again. Can you write me? I have a little question for you and I couldn’t find your email address 🙂

3. Nina Timm 6 January 2009 at 5:14 am #

Maryann – we have been on many whale watching “expeditions” and have taken hundreds of photos, but could not find the perfect “breaching” photo just yet. This photo is also courtesy of Google. My email address is nina(at)boxpac.co.za.

4. Proud Italian Cook 6 January 2009 at 8:11 am #

Nina, Breathtaking views! What great memories you must have stored up after going for 20 years! You sound like you have a wonderful family. How fun you must have serving up all that good food!
    Wishing you and yours a healthy and happy 2009!
    xox, Marie

5. Pam 6 January 2009 at 8:38 am #

I was wondering where you were. I am glad you had a nice holiday with your family.

This swordfish looks amazing – the sauce is making me drool. Looking forward to trying this out.

Happy New Year Nina!

6. Bellini Valli 6 January 2009 at 1:39 pm #

Hermanus sounds like a treasured part of the world Nina. Off the coast here we view Killer Whale pods in the Spring. Such an exciting event!!! Swordfish is not something we would catch in the oceans of Canada but as with everything it is available here.Your dish sounds perfect!!

7. mikky 6 January 2009 at 8:13 pm #

what a vacation, what a creation… happy new year!!! 🙂

8. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 6 January 2009 at 8:51 pm #

Looks like a beautiful holiday destination, Nina! What a great place to take the family!

Happy New Year!!!

9. glamah16 6 January 2009 at 8:58 pm #

Looks ao lovely . One day I will get down there. My 2nd swordfish post today. We are all loving the fish at this time of year.

10. That Girl 6 January 2009 at 9:22 pm #

The beach, the water, GORGEOUS! And I bet it’s far warmer than the 50 degree ocean at my backyard!

11. RecipeGirl 6 January 2009 at 10:39 pm #

What a beautiful place. I’d be happy to vacation there!

Love swordfish, and what you’ve done with it is simply mouthwatering.

Happy NY to you!

12. Mike of Mike's Table 6 January 2009 at 11:04 pm #

That sounds like a great getaway and a happy new year to you, as well! The sword fish looks delicious with the basil mayo

13. Kevin 7 January 2009 at 5:20 am #

That looks like a great place to visit! I like the sound of the basil mayo.

14. Nina's Cooking 4 Fun 7 January 2009 at 5:36 am #

Hi Nina,
    Thanks for the visit. Nice pictures
    and GOOD FOOD !
    XOXO, Nina

15. Triv 7 January 2009 at 6:14 am #

Thank you for the kind comments you left on my blog. I really appreciate the encouragment more than you know.

And now because of your comment, I have found your wonderful blog and I intend to read as often as I can.

Mya

16. Navita 7 January 2009 at 12:03 pm #

love ur blog. Its so informative and built with love it seems.
    M new on blogosphere…a 2 month old blog n wud love it if u cud stop by! 🙂

17. Maryann 7 January 2009 at 4:19 pm #

Thanks sweety 🙂

18. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy 7 January 2009 at 8:47 pm #

Those shots of Hermanus are breathtaking! What a paradise!

Your swordfish looks pretty wonderful too. Perfect for a busy weeknight.

19. nicisme 7 January 2009 at 11:16 pm #

What a wonderful place to go on holiday!
    Happy New Year to you Nina!

20. Jeanne 12 January 2009 at 3:30 pm #

Love the sound of that mayo Nina, and swordfish is such a treat. I rememebr a lovely trip for a friend’s wedding where we stayed at a guest house at De Kelders just outside Hermanus and watched the whales frolicking all day – it was hevenly!

21. jinggo 2 April 2010 at 6:01 pm #

u make me hungry.

22. Anonymous 17 December 2010 at 11:50 am #

Merry Christmas! Let the new year will bring a lot of money

23. Mario Piting 26 March 2011 at 10:46 am #

Having read this material, I have learned for myself a lot of the new. Thanks http://www.collegeboard.org/