July 7, 2020

Fruit Salad with Vanilla Bean Ice-cream

Posted on January 15, 2009 by in desserts

Fruit Salad has been a part of our family’s eating heritage for as long as I can remember. Whenever we had a church camp out, my mom would take a whole bucket of fruit salad and thin runny custard on the side. Friends and family would come to our campsite just for mom’s fruit salad.
We call it “angel’s food”! The secret to this fruit salad is to peel all the fruit, No and I mean NO peels.

What happens when you do this, is that the different fruits blend and you are left with a soft, glorious sensation. You will see that we also used canned fruit and I am sure some of you will have a fit about that, but give it a try, you will not be sorry that you did. I used the fruit that is canned in their own juices. So get ready for the taste ride of your life.

Fruit Salad( I would say for about 8 people)

3x 410gr tins fruit cocktail – this is what it is called here, but you are looking for canned fruit salad.
1x 410gr tin guava – cut up
4 passion fruits – or 2 small tins passion fruit pulp
1 small paw-paw- peeled and cut in cubes
3 bananas -peeled and sliced
1 small punnet blue berries
1 small punnet raspberries
1 small punnet goose berries
1 pinch of salt – it does make a difference ..it brings out the flavor or the fruits.

Open the tins and pour off all the liquid. Mix all the tinned fruit together in a glass bowl. Add the paw-paw and bananas. Just before serving add all the berries and mix through. Keep the passion fruit and pour over the ice-cream. The fruit salad is best if left in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Photobucket
Tip – to keep your bananas from browning, do the following. Place 3 bananas with their peels still on in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Wait until the peels are black. Now peel the bananas and use as indicated in the recipe.

For the Vanilla bean ice-cream, I used a recipe from Kevin’s site, Closet cooking. We all love d the ice-cream and my serving suggestion just about floored my family. To make your own ice-bowl, click here.

Tags: , ,

28 Responses to “Fruit Salad with Vanilla Bean Ice-cream”

1. Maryann 15 January 2009 at 3:05 pm #

I love the ice bowl. You set this photo up so nicely!

2. Abigail 15 January 2009 at 3:28 pm #

Absolutely STUNNING, Nina. Wow.

3. Peter M 15 January 2009 at 4:02 pm #

What a beautiful photo and I’m in awe that you made an ice bowl for the fruit!

4. Pam 15 January 2009 at 6:57 pm #

You clever girl. I love the ice bowl The fruit and ice cream look so tasty and refreshing. Excellent photo Nina.

5. That Girl 15 January 2009 at 7:12 pm #

Fruit Salad was always our summer dessert growing up. We didn’t do a lot of cakes, cookies, or snack foods, but we always had plenty of fruit!

6. Sylvie 15 January 2009 at 9:29 pm #

I wish it was summer here and I could wonderful fresh fruit!

7. Snooky doodle 15 January 2009 at 9:59 pm #

this will be ideal on a hot summer day. colour is wonderful and looks so tempting especially with that gloroius ice cream 🙂

8. Maggie 15 January 2009 at 10:17 pm #

I love the mint in the ice bowl and the passion fruit on top. Definitely a superior fruit salad!

9. elly 16 January 2009 at 12:11 am #

Wow, the ice bowl is great and the fruit salad looks so refreshing. I love to add some toasted coconut to my fruit salads!

10. Helene 16 January 2009 at 3:58 am #

It’s beautiful. I love the idea of mixing canned fruits. Great ice bowl.

11. Kevin 16 January 2009 at 4:54 am #

That fruit salad looks great! I like the sound of the vanilla bean ice cream on top of it. I also like the sound of no dishes!

12. MaryBeth 16 January 2009 at 5:47 am #

Wonderful looking picture, Kevin does have some great recipes. I really love the ice bowl.

13. Emily 16 January 2009 at 9:14 am #

Ohhh, it feels like summer! This looks delicious. I’d be all over that.

14. Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella 17 January 2009 at 1:39 am #

What a gorgeous way of serving it! I love it 🙂 Also I agree some fruit is gorgeous tinned like pineapple which unless you get a super sweet breed, is too acidic 🙂

15. Dawn 17 January 2009 at 1:45 am #

what a stunning photo! wow!

16. Elra 17 January 2009 at 6:48 pm #

Wow, fruit salad never look this beautiful. I love the bowl too. Look so delicious and refreshing.
    Cheers,
    Elra

17. Sara 18 January 2009 at 7:26 am #

This looks beautiful! I love passionfruit, I’ve been trying to find them locally for some time. I just bought a jar of passionfruit puree, better than nothing right?

18. Bellini Valli 18 January 2009 at 9:36 pm #

Wonderful presentation Nina. This is an excellent family tradition to follow!!

19. glamah16 18 January 2009 at 10:50 pm #

What a tip about the bananas! I have to remember that. Great idea for the ice bowl. Im am not above canned or preserved fruit. Especially the more exotic ones.

20. Jeanne 19 January 2009 at 1:59 am #

Oh, that looks fantastic! I am very picky about my fruit salads, but this one sure passes the test. And I haven’t seen one of those ice bowls in ages – a friend of mine used to make them when she entertained 🙂

21. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 19 January 2009 at 7:12 pm #

This looks so good! I grew up on fruit cocktail with Breyer’s vanilla bean ice cream on top – one of my grandmother’s signature desserts for the summer! I love how you added many fresh seasonal fruits as well. Looks gorgeous and refreshing!

22. Rose&Thorn 20 January 2009 at 11:37 am #

I have finally touched ground and getting around to see what everyone is doing – You have been super creative! Stunning! Stunning! Stunning!
    My son leaves tomorrow for boarding school, so things will be very quite at home – going to have lots of time for experimenting but no one to cook for!

23. taste memory 21 January 2009 at 4:26 pm #

I must comment on that ice bowl! That’s beautiful Nina…I have a very old newspaper clipping that has ingredients/instruc how to do it and have been putting it off. So glad to see you have donea lovely piece of art work! Fruit salad looks delicious esp. passion fruit. thanks for sharing….

24. shuqin 6 May 2009 at 10:55 am #

A Girl Just Like Mother

No matter which girl he brought home, the young manAir jordan sneakerfound disapproval from his mother. A friend gave him advice.

“Find a girl just like your mother—then she’s bound to like her.

So the young man searched and searched, and finally found the girl.He told his friendly adviser:

“Just like you said, I found a girl who looked,talked
    Nike air jordan shoes,dressed, and even cooked like mother.And just as you said,mother liked her”

“So,”asked the friend,“what happened?”

“Nothing,”said the young man.“My father hates her!”

25. Anonymous 18 March 2011 at 4:51 pm #

mmmmmmmmmmmmm…… my friend loves it too x

26. foodie 28 February 2018 at 6:52 am #

Good daү I am so delightеd I found your foodsnobstl website, I really foᥙnd ʏou by mistake,whiⅼe I was researching on Digg for somethinng else.
    Аnywɑys I am here now and wоuld just liҝe to say cheers for а fantastic post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design). I don’t have time too read through it all at the moment but I haᴠe savеd it and also added your RSS fеeds, so when I have tkme I will be back too read a great deal mοre. Please do keep up the awesome work.

[url=http://www.foodsnobstl.com]foodsnobstl[/url]

27. axis 13 April 2018 at 8:54 am #

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog.
    It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme?
    Outstanding work!

judi bola

• nerinatimm 16 April 2018 at 10:17 pm #

Thank you, yes my husband and I did most of the work!