June 5, 2020

Peach and Plum Crumble!

Posted on February 1, 2009 by in desserts

The stone fruits like peaches, plums nectarines and apricots are still in abundance on the markets even though the weather is starting to change slowly but surely. The sun comes up a little later and I can no longer enjoy my morning coffee at 5 outside in the garden.

I grew up in a little town called Ceres and there were all kinds of fruit available all year round. Apples and pears in winter and in summer the lovely stone fruits. I remember a peach tree in our back yard that bore so much fruit that we had to give baskets full away to friends and family. I also remember picking a peach off the tree, wash it under the tap and sink my teeth into a juicy Hale Haven Peach.

This time of the year bloggers of the northern and southern hemispheres can share the same kinds of recipes as climates here and there are somewhat similar. After all the cold desserts, I felt like making something a little more comforting.I found these delicious plums in the market and wanted to pair them with some sweet peaches, sadly not Hale Havens, but canned in natural juices.

Photobucket

Peach and Plum Crumble

Ingredients (serves 8 small individual servings or 1 big crumble)

2 +- 800gr canned peach slices – pour off the liquid
5 fresh plums – pitted and sliced thinly

For the crumble

1 cup butter – coarsely grated
125 ml coconut
125ml ground almonds
250ml flour
2 tsp fine cinnamon
250 ml sugar

Place the grated butter in a big mixing bowl and add all other ingredients. Rub the dry ingredients into the butter until you have crumbs resembling breadcrumbs.
Pour fruit into individual pie dishes or in big tart dish and top with crumble mixture. Bake until golden brown and bubbly. Serve with cream or ice-cream.

Tags:

16 Responses to “Peach and Plum Crumble!”

1. Nina's Culinary Creations 2 February 2009 at 12:18 am #

This is delicious Nina; looks like is baked individual; it’s a good idea!

2. Elra 2 February 2009 at 12:23 am #

Nina,
    The topping sounds so good, really like the addition of the coconut there.
    Cheers,
    Elra

3. Jeanne 2 February 2009 at 1:51 am #

Oh I can’t WAIT for summer’s abundance of stone fruits! This looks divine, and I love the idea of adding coconut to the topping πŸ™‚

4. Helene 2 February 2009 at 3:05 am #

What a beautiful crumble.

5. That Girl 2 February 2009 at 7:57 pm #

It’s funny, I have a whole carton of peaches in my fridge, but only one lonely plum ;-(

6. Sylvie 2 February 2009 at 10:30 pm #

Crumbles are one of my favourite puddings and peach and plum sounds fantastic.

7. Pam 3 February 2009 at 6:46 pm #

This looks fantastic – I especially love that you used coconut in your topping. Delicious Nina.

8. Navita 3 February 2009 at 7:02 pm #

this recipe sounds like a keeper…great click as usual πŸ™‚

9. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 3 February 2009 at 11:39 pm #

Yum. That last photo looks great, with a bit of the juices spilling out on the dish.

10. Kevin 4 February 2009 at 5:31 am #

That looks good. I like the sound of the peach and plumb combo and I like the use of the coconut!

11. lisa (dandysugar) 4 February 2009 at 7:23 am #

Yum, this sounds wonderful. Love the coconut in the topping!

12. Selba 4 February 2009 at 8:15 am #

Looks beautiful!

Very nice pictures in here πŸ™‚

13. Rose&Thorn 4 February 2009 at 8:21 am #

Oh no, not another perfect recipe for me to try! I have all these ingredients waiting for me at home, so I guess you know what’s on the menu tonight.

14. Peter M 4 February 2009 at 9:21 pm #

Ahh Nina, I remember you lamneting how you had to watch us cook with our summer fresh produce.

The tables have turned, I’m “ripe” with envy!

15. Nina Timm 5 February 2009 at 5:16 am #

Nina’s culinary creations – I love to make my desserts individual servings.

elra – for me the secret ingredient here is the ground almonds…it is lovely once it is baked.

jeanne – only a month or so and the rolls will be reversed and it will be me looking out for all the summer fruits.

helen – thank you

that girl – that ratio is about right!

sylvie – the plum tarts it up a bit!!

pam – yes, it does give the crumble a whole new texture.

navita – thanks friend!

jenndz – a little over indulgence has never hurt anybody, right?

kevin – thanks a lot!

lisa – thanks for the visit,Please come again!

selba- thanks you, please call again!

rose – let me know what you think!

peter m – aahh, yes you are so right, I remember!

16. glamah16 6 February 2009 at 8:33 am #

YUMMM, Cant wait for summer to try this.