September 23, 2019

Eggplant with 3 cheeses.

Posted on February 5, 2009 by in vegetarian

Eggplants!!!! You either love them or hate them, but if you are in the “hate them” group, I implore you to try this recipe before you finally make up your mind. The success of this recipe is in the tomato sauce. What you need here is a deep, rich, reduced and chunky tomato sauce.
I use the same sauce as for my pasta, but make sure that the sauce is thick and chunky and not watery at all. For the tomato sauce recipe, simply click here!

Eggplant with Three Cheeses

Ingredients (4 people)

1 large egg plant – try and find a “long” shape, it makes a better “roll”
300gr mozzarella cheese-grated
2 rings of feta cheese – cut into long strips – about 1cmx 1cm
about 500ml tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
dried oregano
100gr parmesan cheese-grated
olive oil

Preheat oven to 180 C

Remove the stem from the eggplant and cut in thin slices, lengthwise – about 5mm thick. Place the slices on a baking tray, brush with olive oil and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes – just enough time for the flesh to soften. Spoon about a Tbsp of tomato sauce on a slice of eggplant, top with a “stick of feta” and a little mozzarella cheese and roll up. Place in a baking dish, seam down. Repeat with all the other slices. Top the eggplant rolls with the remaining tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheese and bake in the oven until bubbly hot and delicious. Serve with some crusty bread… My husband said: “Honey, this is the nicest food you have ever made for me!!!! Geezz, to think of all the trouble I’ve been to to please this man…and he likes something this simple….men, phew!!!
This weekend I had 2 big functions and catered for just over 600 people. Every time I do this, it gets a little bit easier and less stressful. Planning is key and a good team of assistance is a blessing beyond measure!

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “Eggplant with 3 cheeses.”

1. Kevin 9 February 2009 at 10:10 pm #

Those eggplant rolls look good!

2. Pam 9 February 2009 at 10:52 pm #

I had a bad experience with eggplant when I was a kid and haven’t given them a second chance. This recipe makes me want to try it again!

3. veggie belly 10 February 2009 at 1:07 am #

I’m in the ‘dont like them’ group. But you are making me want to try this recipe! You present it so beautifully!

4. Nina's Culinary Creations 10 February 2009 at 1:40 am #

Nina, 1st: I LOVE EGGPLANT!
    2nd: next time when you have a big
    catering party and need help just call me ok? I will be there in a heart bit!!! haha

5. Bellini Valli 10 February 2009 at 3:28 am #

No need to convince me Nina. I know these were delicious:D

6. Sara 10 February 2009 at 4:17 am #

This looks fabulous – I just love eggplant dishes, I’m always looking for new ways to make it!

7. Elra 10 February 2009 at 4:58 am #

I love eggplant, and yours look so tempting.
    Cheers,
    Elra

8. Proud Italian Cook 10 February 2009 at 6:24 am #

I could live on eggplant, and yours fabulous to me! Pass the fork please!
    Also I applaud you for your massive catering jobs!! How do you do it all???

9. Rosabela 10 February 2009 at 11:29 am #

Oh my! This is soooo good! My hubby doesn’t like eggplant but I think he’ll love this. Will make this for our Valentine dinner. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe!!!

10. Jeanne 10 February 2009 at 6:58 pm #

Mmm, no need to convince me – I love eggplant! And with tomato and cheese, how can you go wrong?? As for men… they have a knack for liking the stuff that takes you 5 minutes to make and ignoring the stuff that took 2 days. Aaarrrgh!

11. Psychgrad 10 February 2009 at 7:45 pm #

Wow. 600 in one weekend. Kudos to you. I hope you took a day or two off to relax.

The eggplant dish looks delicious. I know what you mean about your hubby liking the simple dishes. I could spend two days making a masterpiece. It would be equally received to something I threw together. Kind of frustrating. But, I guess it does relieve you from some of the time and effort it takes to make some dishes.

12. Snooky doodle 10 February 2009 at 9:37 pm #

what a nice recipe. look so good and yummy 🙂

13. Rose&Thorn 11 February 2009 at 9:43 am #

I love eggplant and I love these rolls. Have made something similar and I agree with Mr Timm, this is the nicest food you have every made!

14. Sophie 11 February 2009 at 5:38 pm #

Those aubergine rolls look so delicious!! By the way, I really like your foodblog, it ROCKS!!!

15. Emily 12 February 2009 at 1:04 pm #

Wow! That’s a ton of people. Glad you pulled it off!

I love eggplant. It’s probably one of my favorite foods. This looks fantastic!

16. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 12 February 2009 at 7:16 pm #

I adore eggplant, so I am easy to convince here! Eggplant was just born to be served with tomato – this looks like my kind of food Nina! Yum!

17. Peter M 12 February 2009 at 11:43 pm #

Add me to the list of eggplant lovers and the ingredients here speak to my Greek tastes.

18. Maryann 13 February 2009 at 5:42 am #

Hi Nina! How are you? Your table looks bountiful and beautiful! It looks like the 600 were in very capable and talented hands by the look of that spread.It’s nice to see pictures of you. To put a face to all the nice words you leave scattered across the food blog world.
    And the eggplant! I love it! Are you sure you’re not Italian? 😉