June 16, 2019

Baby Leaf Salad-with Prickly Pear and a passion fruit vinaigrette

Posted on February 16, 2009 by in vegetarian

Baby Leaf Salad with Prickly Pear and a passion fruit vinaigrette

Baby Leaf Salad with Prickly Pear and a passion fruit vinaigrette. I love to combine fruit and vegetables in the same salad. The sweet and savory flavors on one plate really appeal to me! At the moment I am trying to make the most of all the fruit and vegetables that are still available although we are now moving towards autumn.
Baby Leaf Salad with Prickly Pear. I found some prickly pears at the market the other day and could not resist buying some as this fruit holds many fond memories for me.

Baby Leaf Salad with Prickly Pear . You see, my father has a feel for good fruit and he really knows “how to pick’em” so when we go to our holiday home in December, his job is always to make sure that there are plenty of fruit available at every meal. He never buys per lbs or per kg, but always per box!!! The days when he arrives with a box of prickly pears, I can sit and watch him until every last fruit is peeled and stored in a Tupperware container to cool down before the next meal. He makes it look like an art!!! It’s funny how the children never ask for sweets when we visit there, they can just enjoy the abundance of fruit always available!!!!
Baby Leaf Salad with Prickly Pear. Prickly Pears, also named Barbary Figs, Cactus Pears, Christian Figs or Indian Figs are delicious to eat in salads, baked in breads and pastries, made into jellies, jams, and candy, and pureed for use in beverages. I prefer to eat them as is, but you are welcome to experiment. The nutritional value for Prickly pears are as follows:(Information courtesy of PPC Natural Markets)

Baby Leaf Salad with Prickly Pear and a passion fruit vinaigrette

Nutrition Highlights

Prickly pear, 1 fruit (103g)
Calories: 42
Protein: 0.75g
Carbohydrate: 9.86g
Total fat: 0.53g
Fiber: 3.7g
*Excellent source of: Vitamin C (14.4mg)
*Good source of: Magnesium (88mg)

Baby Leaf Salad with Prickly Pear, Cottage cheese and a Passionfruit Vinaigrette

Ingredients ( 1 serving)
1 handful of baby salad leaves
2 pricly pears – peeled and sliced
50gr crumbed cottage cheese

For the Passionfruit dressing

1 small tin passion fruit pulp
1/2 cup vegetable oil(olive oil is too pungent)
zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
2 tbs white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp xilotol – sugar replacement
salt to taste

Blend together until it is smooth and creamy.

Assemble the salad leaves in the middle of the plate. Arrange the prickly pear slices around the leaves and top with the cottage cheese. Drizzle with the salad dressing and enjoy this nutritious and delicious salad.

My report back on Go red for Women.

I now eat breakfast every day – I try to have a small protein with the meal, eg. peanut butter or cheese.
I walk about 3km in the morning
I have managed so far not to have sugar intentionally, but it was quite hard for me!!!!

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to “Baby Leaf Salad-with Prickly Pear and a passion fruit vinaigrette”

1. Jeanne 17 February 2009 at 12:49 am #

Now when last did I have a prickly pear?? That salad looks too beautiful!

And well done on the early morning walking – I am back in the gym for the first time in years and know how hard it can be to keep motivated…

2. Helene 17 February 2009 at 1:36 am #

This looks delicious. You’re doing good for the Go Red for Women.

3. Elra 17 February 2009 at 2:51 am #

I’ve always been so curious about prickly pears, never tempted to buy them, as I don’t know how to cook them. I am not even sure how they actually taste. Seing this post, make me want to try them.
    Cheers,
    Elra

4. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy 17 February 2009 at 7:14 am #

What a beautiful salad! I’ve eaten prickly pear salsa before and really liked it. I’m going to have to pick some up the next time I see them in the market and give this salad a try.

5. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy 17 February 2009 at 7:17 am #

This comment has been removed by the author.

6. Ben 17 February 2009 at 1:47 pm #

I love sweet and savory dishes too and this salad sounds like something I’d enjoy eating. Great combination.

7. My Carolina Kitchen 17 February 2009 at 4:02 pm #

Nina, your salads get more beautiful by the day. I’m not familiar with prickly pears but you’ve got me interested. When I first saw the picture, at first glance I thought they were heirloom tomatoes, which I adore.
    Way to go for the Red. Keep up the good work.

8. Sophie 17 February 2009 at 5:38 pm #

This salad looks stunning! MMMMMM…. wow, what a great combination of lovely ingredients!!

9. Rosa 17 February 2009 at 6:35 pm #

Hi Nina,

I just posted an entry about the 3 cheese eggplant. Just wanted to let you know if you’re interested in reading it. Thanks for letting me post the recipes! My husband LOVED the dish!!

rosa
    cookingwithrosie.blogspot.com

10. Pam 17 February 2009 at 6:44 pm #

Beautiful! I’ve only had a prickly pear margarita – never in a salad. The salad dressing sounds fantastic.

11. glamah16 17 February 2009 at 7:39 pm #

I love prickly pear. Have never used it in a sald. I love and salad with cottage cheese. Beautiful work.

12. That Girl 17 February 2009 at 8:02 pm #

I really do love seeing the different produce you have available to you versus what we have!

13. Trixi 18 February 2009 at 1:42 pm #

I just LUV prickly pears, but I have never seen the yellow variety here in the Eastern Cape.