May 17, 2021

Melon soup to cool you down!

Posted on March 2, 2009 by in soups

Photobucket
I love Sweet melon and served cold in slices is so refreshing…….or is it??? Our summer here in Cape Town is at its peak and we are experiencing temperatures of 35-40C. Frankly, I do not like the heat, but then again, I love summer fruits so I guess I will have to grin and take the heat! Sweet melon together with watermelon are my favorite summer fruits.. Sweet Melons are the fruits of the muskmelon vine and are related to cucumbers.

I bought two huge sweet melons at the market the other day and the one we devoured that same night. I have been dying to try “cold soups” for a while now, so what better fruit to try it with than my second sweet melon.

There is absolutely NO recipe!!!

Simply peel the sweet melon and remove the pips. Dice the fruit and place in a blender with a few ice cubes. Process until smooth and thick. Pour into soup bowls and finish off with a drizzle of lemon-infused olive oil and some crumbed feta!!!!! I guarantee a taste sensation!!!

I must apologize for being so absent on everybody’s blogs or websites. I do visit, but I have so little time to comment and even reply to the comments that you leave on my site. I will be back one of these days when things have calmed down a bit. In the meantime, please be patient with me!!!

19 Responses to “Melon soup to cool you down!”

1. Pam 2 March 2009 at 11:04 pm #

What a beautiful soup! I love the color – another great photo.

2. Sophie 2 March 2009 at 11:26 pm #

What a beautiful soup,,MMMMM! But I have to wait until it is summer for those juicy melons!!!

3. Peter M 3 March 2009 at 12:20 am #

Darling Nina, it’s -10C here today…may I have a raincheck on the melon soup?

4. Helene 3 March 2009 at 2:33 am #

Looks so easy to make & delicious. Thanks for sharing.

5. Elra 3 March 2009 at 7:57 am #

I love the color of that melon soup, I am sure it delicious.
    Cheers,
    Elra

6. Bellini Valli 3 March 2009 at 8:38 am #

What a refreshing idea Nina:D

7. Rose&Thorn 3 March 2009 at 11:19 am #

I love spanspec – actually like you I love all the summer fruits. This soup looks lovely.

8. My Carolina Kitchen 3 March 2009 at 2:54 pm #

Your soup is beautiful. I’m jealous that it’s summer there. It could be summer all year and it would please me, but we lived in the Bahamas for ten years and are used to the heat. Cold here in the mountains and I’m missing summer………why did I move here I’m asking myself. Anyway, your gorgeous melon soup brought big rays of sunshine into my kitchen today. Thank you.

Hope to see you at the 2nd Annual Italian Fiesta. Can’t wait to see what you bring – I know it will be spectacular.

9. Nina Timm 3 March 2009 at 9:23 pm #

pam – the soup was a surprise for me too!

sophie – I can send our summer your way now!!!I cannot wait for winter!!

peter m – no problem!

helene – I hope you will try this!

elra – you bet it was!!

belinni valli – I am glad you liked it!!

roseþ – yip, spanspek is the word around here!!

my carolina kitchen – Why move from the Bahamas, tell me please!! I'll post my recipe later!!!

10. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 3 March 2009 at 10:42 pm #

I have always wanted to try this! It looks great!

11. Maryann 3 March 2009 at 11:27 pm #

I’m saving this for August! It looks so refreshing. Don’t worry. We all get busy!

12. MaryBeth 4 March 2009 at 5:47 am #

I could really go for some warm weather, I have never eaten a cold melon soup before but I have seen this type of thing many times, it really does sound very good.

13. Sophie 4 March 2009 at 4:42 pm #

Though I don’t need anything to cool me down where I am (it is so cold here 🙂 I would love this as a snack or dessert, it sounds refreshingly light and flavorful!

14. Nina Timm 4 March 2009 at 7:54 pm #

jenndz – it was my first effort too, but most definitely not my last!

maryann – It is so strange…I have no doubt in my mind that one day if(when) we sit down together for a cup of tea, we will hit it off and have a longgggg chat. Right now, I need that chat and you are miles away!!!

marybeth – I think you will get hooked, once you’ve tried this!

sophie – I am dying for some cold weather here. Tomorrow the weather man says it will be 37C again….

15. RecipeGirl 5 March 2009 at 7:34 am #

I love that there’s no recipe. I’m keeping this idea for our summer- which should be arriving soon by the look of things around here. This looks so refreshing.

16. glamah16 7 March 2009 at 5:19 pm #

It looks so refreshing abe beautiful. Healthy too!

17. Kevin 7 March 2009 at 11:11 pm #

A cool melon soup would hit the spot on a warm summer day! It looks really cool and refreshing!

18. Jeanne 20 March 2009 at 7:52 pm #

Are these spanspek melons? I can almost smell their wonderful sweet smell… Beautiful pic too!

19. Yomi 22 March 2011 at 10:50 am #