September 23, 2019

You can now nominate for the 2009 SA Blog Awards

Posted on March 6, 2009 by in awards

Bloggers here in South Africa are catching up with our fellow bloggers in other countries and once again it is that time of the year where SA bloggers(or SA bloggers in other countries, like our own Cooksister) can be rewarded for their hard work and dedication..
You must vote for at least 3 websites or blogs and you can also vote for 1 blog in more than 1 category. If you are not familiar with other SA bloggers, you can find a list of food and wine blogs on Jeanne’s site.
For other SA blogs and websites go to Amatomu.

Speaking of awards……I want to tell you about a cheesery/winery or let’s just say a company that you will just have to put on your list of “Places to visit!” The Cheese and Winemakers that I am referring to is none other than Fairview. They have claimed many awards locally and internationally and can now proudly say that they have beaten the French at cheese-making.

Photobucket

As you know, cheese is not exactly a good food choice when “going red”, but what to do when the craving hits you or you have to invent a starter for vegetarians. Luckily for me, Fairview has produced a Camembert with 40% Less fat which is also suitable for vegetarians, because it is made with non-animal rennet.

I wanted to serve something really delicious with the cheese parcels so I made some Sweet Onion Chutney. I used a sugar replacement and very little fat, so even the chutney was not too sinful.

Camembert parcels with Sweet onion Chutney – serves 2

1x 125g Fairview Camembert(40 % less fat)
2 sheets of phyllo pastry
non-stick Spray

Preheat oven to 170C
Simply cut the cheese in have and make a little bundle using the phyllo pastry- I folded my phyllo in halve just to make it a bit thicker. Tie the bundle with string or raffia, spray with the non-stick spray and bake in a pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes.
(If you want to use butter to brush over the phyllo, please do so, but I find that the non-stick spray works just as well and it cuts down on the calories…….)

Sweet Onion Chutney

1 big white onion, cut in halve and sliced thinly
2 tbsp water
2 tsp xylitol – sugar replacement
2 tbsp red wine or port
15ml oil.
1 tbsp red wine vinegar

Put the water and the onion in a saucepan and cook the onion until soft. Add the oil and let it caramelize slightly. Add the wine, vinegar and xylitol and reduce the heat. Let the onion slowly reduce down to a lovely, sweet and soft chutney. Serve with the cheese parcels as it comes out of the oven. I know the phyllo acts as the starch in this recipe, but my family still wanted chunks of bread for the soft gooey cheese.

19 Responses to “You can now nominate for the 2009 SA Blog Awards”

1. Sophie 6 March 2009 at 4:42 pm #

My dear nina, I just voted for you in 3 categories!!! Because you are worth it, dear friend!!!

2. Elra 6 March 2009 at 6:29 pm #

Oh dear, look at that photo of the camembert dripping… so mouth watering.
    I’ll look into the link Nina, thanks for the info.
    Cheers,
    elra

3. Pam 6 March 2009 at 6:42 pm #

I’ll go vote for you right away…good luck.

This recipe is making me drool. The onion chutney sounds so good.

4. Bellini Valli 6 March 2009 at 8:12 pm #

This is a stunning presentation Nina!!!

5. Snooky doodle 6 March 2009 at 9:26 pm #

you surely deserve a vote! nice photo and presentation 🙂

6. Coffee and Vanilla 6 March 2009 at 9:52 pm #

That sounds and looks lovely! Great combination of flavours 🙂

7. Helene 7 March 2009 at 2:49 am #

I love they way you did the camembert. Delicious!

8. Emily 7 March 2009 at 12:42 pm #

Wow, this sounds amazing! I love camembert. The sweet onion chutney would make a nice compliment to the cheese. I’m off to vote for you!

9. My Carolina Kitchen 7 March 2009 at 2:42 pm #

Your phyllo bundles are gorgeous – very professional looking. I’m not familiar with the sugar replacement xylitol. Think I could use Splenda or something like it?
    I’ve got to go………time to vote. No doubt in my mind that you’ll be the winner.

10. Nina Timm 7 March 2009 at 3:18 pm #

sophie – I am so grateful, thank you dear Sophie.

elra – it is such an easy starter, but trust me, it wows people time and time again…

pam – I am up against some stiff competition, so I can use all the help I can get.Thx

val – thx dear!

snooky doodle – have you found all your posts yet?Thank you!!

coffee and vanilla – thanks for the visit, please drop in again!

helene – thank you!

emily – thank you so very much!!

my carolina kitchen – Splenda is perfect….if you do not have a weight issue, sugar is fine!!! Thx for the vote, I appreciate it!

11. glamah16 7 March 2009 at 5:16 pm #

You always do the most beautiful dishes for entertaining.

12. Kevin 8 March 2009 at 2:57 pm #

That look so good with the melted cheese running out! The sweet onion chutney that you paired it with sounds great as well!

13. jesse 9 March 2009 at 1:24 am #

Woooow, your presentation is divine!

14. megan (brooklyn farmhouse) 9 March 2009 at 11:43 pm #

Oh yes, I love anything with cheese wrapped in pastry! Delicious!

15. Sophie 10 March 2009 at 11:23 am #

I voted again & again every day in 3 categories!!

16. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 10 March 2009 at 10:59 pm #

Going to go vote right now! You are awesome and totally deserve to win!
    I mean just look at these drool-worthy photos!!!

17. Trixi 11 March 2009 at 12:45 pm #

Now these are parcels for you! Never mind my apple parcels…this will surely impress anybody.

18. quanton 17 March 2009 at 3:29 pm #

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Kaylee

19. Jeanne 20 March 2009 at 8:01 pm #

OK, if I pretend to be a vegetarian, do you promise to make this as a starter if I visit you??

😉