October 22, 2019

Proudly South African “Hot dog” or Boerewors Roll

Posted on March 30, 2009 by in beef

proudly south african hot dog or boerewors roll

In South Africa, Boerewors (our equivalent of a sausage) is as traditional as you can get and it is hard to imagine a sports event, farmer’s market or school fete without a Boerewors stall.
It is pronounced “Boo-ruh-vors” and loosely translated it means “boere” – farmers and “wors” – sausage and this is indicative of where the boerewors originated from.
Boerewors is basically coarsely minced beef(sometimes pork and lamb is added) with some spices such as coriander, pepper, nutmeg, cloves and all spice. This mixture is then stuffed into a casing. Boerewors is traditionally cooked on an open fire, but you can also cook it on a gas grill, oven or in a pan.

The smell of boerewors on an open fire, however is very hard to match! A Boerewors Roll is simply a piece or sausage in a long bun, enjoyed with caramelized onions and of course Mrs Balls Chutney!!!

I am a tough customer when it comes to buying boerewors! I like a loose sausage, crumbly in texture and I also like a prominent coriander taste. I found a supplier who makes, in my opinion, THE BEST BOEREWORS IN SOUTH AFRICA and if you live in the Cape Town area, you can order directly from me.

I am sure if you are visiting South Africa in future, maybe even next year for the 2010 Fifa World Cup you will find this true South African treat sold by many a street vendor!

proudly south african hot dog or boerewors roll

24 Responses to “Proudly South African “Hot dog” or Boerewors Roll”

1. Darius T. Williams 30 March 2009 at 2:11 pm #

this looks like something I’m gonna need to try – for real!

2. Nina Timm 30 March 2009 at 2:54 pm #

darius – yeezz…I haven’t seen you around for quite some time!! This is a man’s kinda meal, You’ll love it!!!

3. Jan 30 March 2009 at 4:43 pm #

Looks yummy!

4. Pam 30 March 2009 at 5:04 pm #

The caramelized onions are calling my name!

The tart down below looks tasty and beautiful – nicely done Nina.

5. Bellini Valli 30 March 2009 at 5:17 pm #

Thanks for sharing this with us Nina:D

6. burpandslurp 30 March 2009 at 7:00 pm #

wow! I’ve learned something new today! wish I could find that african sausage around here to try!

7. Helene 30 March 2009 at 7:11 pm #

This is something new to me. Looks good.

8. Elra 30 March 2009 at 7:46 pm #

I had Boerewors when I was visiting my cousin in Cape Town. It was delicious and I like it very much.
    Cheers,
    elra

9. Dragon 31 March 2009 at 2:35 am #

Looks really yummy!

10. lisaiscooking 31 March 2009 at 4:30 pm #

I hadn’t heard of Boerewors before. It must smell great being grilled outside!

11. Junglefrog 31 March 2009 at 7:50 pm #

Thanks for visiting my blog Nina! I love how the South african language has so many Dutch words in it… We would say Boerenworst, but it’s pretty close just missing two letters! And I love boerenworst too! Think it’s one of the best!

12. Emily 1 April 2009 at 8:27 am #

Yum! Look at that “hotdog”. Looks very gourmet! I’d love to try it. 🙂

13. Sophie 1 April 2009 at 6:02 pm #

That boerewors looks great! South African the language is a lot similar to our Dutch. I love the language!! Boere means in our Dutch the same Boer = farmer!!
    I am glad that you are happy with the award!! Enjoy it !!

14. mycookinghut 1 April 2009 at 8:18 pm #

Looks good, nina.. I love the onions…. 🙂

15. Peter M 1 April 2009 at 10:14 pm #

Well, you quickly answered that there’s little relation to the Boer War!

I’m a huge fan of sausage and sadly there’s nothing here that I can buy commercially. Thanks for the virtual feeding, though.

16. megan (brooklyn farmhouse) 4 April 2009 at 6:33 pm #

I need to get myself to South Africa for SURE!

17. glamah16 6 April 2009 at 10:56 pm #

I see a lot of the Euro influence with SA food as well other ethnicities. I will take one of those now!

18. Jeanne 23 April 2009 at 1:25 pm #

Mmm, I blogged these a year or 2 ago with chakalaka. Boerewors is one of the SA dishes I crave the most – luckily there is an excellent supplier here in London too! I used to love the Pick & Pay preservative-free wors – wonder if it's still so good?

19. Jeanne 23 April 2009 at 1:25 pm #

20. Frank 4 July 2009 at 12:34 am #

I love a good boerewors, but I feel the need to criticise what I see in the above photo. The wors looks to be way overcooked, a common mistake made by many people. Never prick the wors, all the tasty juices will run out. Never cook wors until the juices are dried out.

21. Andre Fourie 9 January 2014 at 10:49 am #

i am in PE,is it possible to order of that boerewors

• nerinatimm 9 January 2014 at 12:14 pm #

Ooops, sorry it may be a problem to get it there. When I come to PE again, I will bring some with, ok!

22. Desiree 26 January 2016 at 1:00 am #

Love the boerewors rolls in cape town, from the late night vendors, I’m dying to know where can I find that coriander chutney they serve on it

• nerinatimm 1 February 2016 at 9:41 pm #

Probeer gerus Qualtiy Pickles, hulle het al ‘n Eat Out Award gewen!