December 9, 2018

Leg of Lamb – roasted to perfection

Posted on April 20, 2009 by in lamb

Leg of lamb, slow roasted to perfection is surely the ultimate indulgence when it comes to Sunday Lunch…well, for me it definitely is!! With food prices climbing weekly now, it is not on our table as often as I would like it to be,
but because I buy a whole sheep at a time, I know that there are 2 legs and 2 blades in the freezer to be taken out for special occasions. Having a meal with my family, to me is special enough so yesterday we had a delicious meal consisting of :

Leg of lamb
Sweet potatoes with ginger
Baked pumpkin with cinnamon sugar
Rice with gravy
Cauliflower with cheese sauce.

Yip, as you can see, not a green vegetable in sight! Yesterday we carbo-loaded!!!

Leg of lamb

1 Leg of lamb – mine was about 1.8kg – gland removed…ask your butcher
4 tsp salt
1 teaspoon whole coriander – dry roasted and crushed in a pestle and mortar
pepper
lemon infused olive oil
rosemary
3 clove of garlic – peeled and cut into slithers

Preheat oven to 200C
Rub the meat with the olive oil and then rub in the spices and the salt. Make incisions with a sharp knife and insert some garlic and small sprigs of rosemary. Place the leg of lamb in a casserole dish with a lid and place in the oven for about 1 hour.( NO WATER!) After an hour turn the heat right down to 100C and let the meat roaster for another 2-3 hours. Just before serving, drizzle with some more olive oil and place in a HOT oven for about 10-15 minutes, just to brown slightly. Your meat will fall off the bone!!!

If you need any of the vegetable recipes, just leave a comment and I will help you out!
Photobucket

Cauliflower with Cheese sauce

Sweet potato

A delicious High-Carb Sunday Lunch

28 Responses to “Leg of Lamb – roasted to perfection”

1. Junglefrog 20 April 2009 at 11:18 am #

Thaat sure looks delicious Nina! It’s actually quite a good idea to have a big lunch on the sunday, which we never seem to do for some reason, but it makes perfect sense. Maybe I should introduce this at my home as well…:)

2. Peter M 20 April 2009 at 11:31 am #

delicious Nina, had a leg of lamb as well yesterday. When done right – a fine Sunday dinner.

3. Nina Timm 20 April 2009 at 11:41 am #

jungle frog – I am quite embarrassed about the photographs, but the family was hovering over my shoulder with these hungry looks in their eyes!! The look on my face when they all opted for seconds instead of dessert, was priceless!!

peter – did you not do the whole sheep in the garbage bin thing????

4. My Carolina Kitchen 20 April 2009 at 12:04 pm #

I can’t imagine buying a whole sheep. How exciting. I’ve never used coriander with lamb but always use rosemary instead. You’ve given me some new ideas.
    We had lamb for Easter and of course ended up with leftovers. Leftover lamb is always a challenge for us. We usually make a curry with it but weren’t in the mood for curry this time. Instead I made a shepherds pie with a potato crust and my husband really liked it. Will you have leftovers and, if so, what do you do with them? Knowing you, something wonderful for sure.
    As always, fabulous photos Nina.

5. Nina Timm 20 April 2009 at 1:03 pm #

sam – I hate to disappoint you, but I had enough left over and dished 4 plates of food for tonight. It gives me the night off for cooking and the family a second change to enjoy the meal!!!

6. Pam 20 April 2009 at 4:27 pm #

What a beautiful and tasty feast Nina… I sure wish I could come for Sunday lunch.

7. That Girl 20 April 2009 at 5:52 pm #

That is one fabulous Sunday spread.

8. Helene 20 April 2009 at 8:28 pm #

You know how to make a festive Sunday. Looks really good.

9. Nina's Culinary Creations 21 April 2009 at 3:11 am #

Dear Nina, for your wonderful culinary work, I want to reward you.
    Please visit my blog @:
    ninasculinarycreations.blogspot.com
    and pick up your award. You deserve it girl! :):)

10. Elra 21 April 2009 at 6:28 am #

NiNa, what a coincidence. I invited our SA friends (He’s from Durbin) and I made roasted leg of lamb for a week. Yours look wonderful Nina.

Nina, I have a question if I may…
    When I was in SA, we stayed at one of the farm house for one night. They serve us some delicious meal, one of them was corn dish. She said this is very common to serve in SA, I think the name of the dish was Corn cream? Creamed Corn? I don’t really remember , but something like that. It was baked, and was so delicious. I really want to make it my self. Do you have any idea which one/recipe it is? Thank you in advance.
    Cheers,
    elra

11. Nina Timm 21 April 2009 at 9:17 am #

pam – you will always be welcome!!!

that girl – thank you.How are you doing??

helene – I think every meal with your family should be a festive occasion!

nina – you are so kind, thanks for the award!

elra – they must have loved it. I will find a recipe for you and send it your way, ok!!!

12. Rose&Thorn 21 April 2009 at 10:54 am #

Oh Nina – you shouldn’t put pictures like that on your site without a warning! You are the master of the Sunday roast!

13. Jeanne 22 April 2009 at 12:35 am #

Fantastic! Real "rys, vleis, aartappels & pampoen" goodness! And I firmly believe that high-carb is the only way a proper Sunday lunch should be 🙂

14. Rosabela 22 April 2009 at 5:15 am #

This looks absolutely wonderful! I love leg of lamb! My mom used to cook it for us all the time. 🙂

15. Brownie Power 22 April 2009 at 6:21 am #

This Sunday feast looks wonderful! I love leg of lamb!

16. Emily 22 April 2009 at 8:05 am #

I’d love to sink my teeth into that leg of lamb! Looks great!

17. Nina Timm 22 April 2009 at 8:30 am #

rose & thorn – Aaaaaah, I feel honored with a compliment like this!!

jeanne – When you are a Dutchmen like me….high carb just comes natural!!!

rosabella – you take after your mom then..being a great cook n' all!!!!

brownie power – thank you for the compliment and the visit!!!

emily – it sure was delicious!!!

emily –

18. Cate O'Malley 22 April 2009 at 7:54 pm #

Are those potatoes in the dish with the lamb? They look so nice and crispy – yum!

19. Jeanne 23 April 2009 at 1:18 pm #

Vrystaat!! 😉

20. Elra 26 April 2009 at 7:10 pm #

Nina,
    thank you so much dear!

21. glamah16 27 April 2009 at 6:26 pm #

I want to come over for Sunday Lunch. Looks like a spread my Mom would put out for us.

22. Katy 22 March 2011 at 5:12 am #

This is awesome!thanks so much for sharing!

23. Anonymous 1 June 2011 at 8:06 pm #

Hi Nina, ek het nou jou insetsel op Kwela gesien, en was so bly ek was ingeskakel. Ek kook hier in my woestynkombuis net vir 2, en my kos is maar vervelig en vaal. En ek kan net uit respepteboeke uit kook. Wel, my man kom nou na 2 maande huis toe, en ek gaan jou heerlike Skaapboud sondagete vir hom maak (Ek slag die gemeste kalf as hy huis toe kom!). Ek glo hy sal daardie ete baie waardeer. Ek sal beslis van nou af verwys na jou resepte om die saaiheid uit my kombuis te hou. Baie dankie vir jou wonderlike resepte en die moeite wat jy doen met jou webtuiste. Doe so voort! Linda uit 'n pragige groen Namib Woestyn in Namibia.

24. Jen 12 December 2013 at 2:54 pm #

hi nina, that looks soooo lekker,i am having my son and his in-laws from u.s.a and my other son’s future in-laws for the christmas and holidays,so i would like to know if you would mind to forward me that veg dishes and some nice easy puddings and cheese cake recipes, if that is possible,please. Thank you for the leg of lamb,i’m going to make it this christmas with all the vegies etc…

25. Jeanine 4 June 2014 at 7:43 pm #

Hi Nina, I’m cooking Sunday lunch for 10 people and planned to put a 3 kg lamsboud in the oven. Can I use the same time frames that you did?

• nerinatimm 4 June 2014 at 7:55 pm #

For 3 kg at least 2.5 to 3 hours. Test with fork, it must go in easily without resistance. Enjoy your lunch!

26. Estelle Grobler 23 October 2014 at 2:52 pm #

Hi Nina, skaapboud lyk heerlik wil Sondag maak. Sal jy asb jou groente resepte plaas. Dankie Nina

27. Mimi 4 April 2015 at 9:13 am #

Hi Please let me have your cauliflower and cheese sauce recipe. Mimi