October 14, 2019

Bangers and Mash

Posted on July 30, 2009 by in pork

Bangers and Mash

Bangers and Mash

Bangers and Mash is a perfect example of pub-grub, because it is easy to make, quick to prepare and yet in my opinion perfect comfort food. It is really just a another name for sausage and potatoes and is a typical English/Irish dish. Bangers and mash consists of mashed potatoes and sausage which can be made from either beef or pork.

Traditionally it is served with a think onion gravy. I wanted to revive this old favorite somewhat and made a few delicious changes.
I flavored the mash with some creamed horseradish and chopped chives and in stead of the traditional onion gravy, I made a onion relish and I topped it off with some parsnip crisps!!! All in all winner with the family!

You can use a sausage of your choice, just make sure it is a good one and the mash is pretty straight forward, just add the 2 mentioned ingredients with a knob of butter when mashing the potatoes!

Bangers and Mash

Bangers and Mash

Thick onion chutney/relish

4 large onions – halved and sliced
olive oil
sugar – about 1 tbsp
balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp red wine
salt/pepper
fresh thyme

Heat the oil in the pan and saute the onions until it starts to soften. Add the sugar and let the onions caramelize. Add the wine and vinegar and let the onions cook until it becomes syruppy and delicious. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Serve with the bangers and mash or keep in a glass jar in the fridge to enjoy with sandwiches and salads!

Bangers and Mash

Bangers and Mash

23 Responses to “Bangers and Mash”

1. Emily 30 July 2009 at 11:00 am #

This looks like pure comfort food! I also like that you call sausage, bangers.

2. Snooky doodle 30 July 2009 at 11:03 am #

what a nice and delicious dish. It s nice spending time with your daughter in the kitchen 🙂

3. Bellini Valli 30 July 2009 at 1:57 pm #

Such traditional comfort frood Nina. Love the fact that your daughter is following in your footsteps in the kitchen as well as in blogging:D

4. Elra 30 July 2009 at 5:18 pm #

Sounds really delicious Nina. I never had this before.

5. Junglefrog 30 July 2009 at 5:27 pm #

Looks delicious Nina!

6. That Girl 30 July 2009 at 5:53 pm #

Food is always a family affair and I definitely think helping to make it builds great eating habits later on.

7. Pam 30 July 2009 at 6:28 pm #

What a beautiful looking meal filled with my favorite comfort foods. Chloe's salad looks great too.

8. Peter M 30 July 2009 at 10:46 pm #

That is the classiest Bangers & Mash I've ever seen. Comfort food goes posh.

9. Christine Medifast 31 July 2009 at 1:11 am #

Such a delicious meal. This is something my family eats at least once a month, if not more. The salad also looks quite great. Good addition Chloe!

10. My Carolina Kitchen 31 July 2009 at 2:29 am #

I've never, ever seen bangers and mash look this gorgeous. As Peter M said so well, "Comfort food goes posh." I can't think of a better way to say it.

11. Nil 31 July 2009 at 4:12 am #

I love your blog. congratulations for so many wonderful recipes.
    Regards, Nil Brasil

12. elly 31 July 2009 at 2:06 pm #

Perfect pub grub is right! Looks delicious and I love the sound of the onion relish.

13. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 31 July 2009 at 3:52 pm #

One of my blogging friends had a St. Patrick's Day event and I made Doyle's Dublin Coddle which is very similar to Bangers and Mash. It was great! Your's looks fantastic with the onion relish and parsnip crisps! I love fried parsnips on salads too.

How nice that your daughter is spending more time with you the the kitchen 🙂

~Susan

14. Daniela 31 July 2009 at 7:23 pm #

Bellissime le ricette che ho trovato nel tuo blog, complimenti.
    Ciao Daniela.

15. Helene 1 August 2009 at 12:59 am #

That meal looks delicious. Enjoy every minute with your precious daughter.

16. Lori Lynn 1 August 2009 at 4:43 am #

The chutney sounds great.
    Love the graphics!
    YAY for your kids, I've been there, and was impressed.
    Very cool.
    LL

17. matt 3 August 2009 at 8:14 pm #

Looks like the best bangers and mash I have ever seen!

18. Jeanne 4 August 2009 at 4:09 pm #

Bangers and mash are the BEST (although I'd struggle to do without the onion gravy…!). I often flavour my mash with wholegrain mustard. Love your pic!

19. MeetaK 5 August 2009 at 6:51 pm #

nina this is simply fantastic. i love bangers and mash and your modifications are just too delicious. nice budget meal for the family – i like very much!

20. James Walsh 8 August 2009 at 5:15 am #

I am going to make this tonight and put it on my blog with credit to you. Thanks for the idea. The simplest things are always the best are they not.

21. Abigail (aka Mamatouille) 12 August 2009 at 7:42 am #

Nina, you make even mom-and-pop food look absolutely stunning! What great ideas you had to spruce up the traditional meal – I'm definitely trying this as soon as possible!

22. Loader 17 March 2016 at 11:10 pm #

Great article!
    Your photo and its source have been featured on the World Food Guide website:

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. My Easy Cooking – Easy, yet flavorful Banger and Mash | Mumspiration - June 17, 2014

[…] our household, but I try to give it a different twist every time. Sometimes it is straight forward Bangers and Mash, sometimes I make a tomato base sauce to serve with the mash, but this time I added rather […]