October 21, 2020
โ€จ

Papaya Lassi – Delicious and healthy way to start the week!

Posted on August 31, 2009 by in dairy

Papaya Lassi

Papaya Lassi is typically an Indian drink and is very similar to a fruit shake or milkshake, but the milk is just replaced by yogurt. Yogurt is one of the most used dairy products in India, mostly for its cooling and refreshing qualities. A lassi can be made with any fruit, but at the moment papayas are at their peak here in South Africa so it was my fruit of choice.
I also feel extremely healthy when eating papaya, it is wonderful for the digestive system and is packed with vitamins A, B and C. Papayas are also very sweet so the lassi needs very little or no sugar.

Papaya Lassi can be served plain, salted, sweetened or with fruit, sometimes even with spices like chili, cardamom or cumin. When a fruit like papaya is added, this delicious drink is served as a dessert rather than a drink with a meal.
I have been battling to get rid of a nasty old cold and I believe the first thing to check is always ones diet. I have come to the realization that through the winter months my fruit intake has not been what it should be. So, let’s at least start the week on a good note. I could not find any mangos so had to make a plan……
ย
Papaya Lassi

1/2 a papaya
250ml low-fat plain yogurt
juice and zest of 1 orange
zest and juice of 1 lime
a small pinch of salt
125ml milk
2 tsp honey

Peel paw-paw, remove the pips and cut in cubes. Place the papaya with all the ingredients is a blender and blend until smooth and silky. Taste and add more honey or more lime juice according to taste.
This papaya lassi can also be served as a refreshing dessert after a hot curry meal. Feel free to experiment with different kinds of fruit and spices.

Papaya Lassi

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “Papaya Lassi – Delicious and healthy way to start the week!”

1. Deeba @Passionate About Baking 31 August 2009 at 12:51 pm #

How delicious & how intriguing. I just posted a mango lassi as part of my post last evening Nina. Mine was just a mix of mango, yogurt, vanilla sugar & crushed ice. Never tried paw paw (papaya?) in a lassi. Now am inspired to..

2. Amy 31 August 2009 at 1:44 pm #

I'm not familiar with paw paw and don't think I've ever seen it available at the market. Mango, on the other hand, is one of my favorite fruits and I am always looking for a reason to use my handy mango splitter gadget ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh, that does look refreshing.

3. Kevin 31 August 2009 at 1:50 pm #

That is one cool and refreshing looking mango lassi!

4. Elra 31 August 2009 at 5:28 pm #

Who would have thought making papaya lassi? what a clever idea Nina. I'm liking it!

5. That Girl 31 August 2009 at 6:27 pm #

I honestly think lassis are going to be the next big thing, because they're so versatile and easy to make.

6. Bellini Valli 31 August 2009 at 10:25 pm #

This would be a perfect way to start the week Nina. Everything is here.

7. Wendy T 1 September 2009 at 1:16 pm #

Could have one of thise right now!!! Looks delicious, we dont get pawpaw here very often and the mango's are about R25 each and never taste quite like they should!!!

8. My Carolina Kitchen 1 September 2009 at 1:32 pm #

What a gorgeous way to start the day. Bravo.

9. elly 1 September 2009 at 2:10 pm #

I love making things like this with fresh fruit and yogurt. Papayas aren't exactly easy to find here, unfortunately. I love all the zest in this too, sounds SO refreshing!

10. ben.herrera 1 September 2009 at 3:12 pm #

Nice! This is another way to eat the delicious papayas I've been buying lately. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Lori Lynn 1 September 2009 at 6:25 pm #

Hope you are feeling better Nina.

This sounds so refreshing, and your presentation is beautiful.
    LL

12. matt 1 September 2009 at 6:46 pm #

Just love mango lassi, but never seem to make it enough. Never had a papaya lassi though!

13. Juliana 1 September 2009 at 8:00 pm #

Yummie! Love papaya, although many people cannot stand the smell of it…since I grew up with it…I just love it! Like the idea of mixing orange and lime juice. Nice pictures!

14. Rose&Thorn 2 September 2009 at 10:37 am #

Absolutely glorious! I love the colours!

15. Juno 2 September 2009 at 11:54 am #

Gorgeous photo and beautiful colours Nina. I would like to immerse my whole face in this drink!

16. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 2 September 2009 at 9:57 pm #

Good gracious, these look amazing! Papaya is one of my favoritest fruits – your pictures are so good, I want to take a sip from the straw!

17. The Woman 3 September 2009 at 9:09 am #

Oohhh I love love love lassis! You should try a savoury lassi as well – it's just yoghurt and ice water, flavoured with a dash of salt and cardamom or cumin. Heavenly…

18. Anonymous 4 September 2009 at 10:46 pm #

A wonderful healthy recipe for something to make for my children, who hates to eat heavy breakfasts early in the morning!! Thanks, Nina!! PPD