December 12, 2018

Slow Roasted Lamb Loin-with Red wine-and Mint Infused Jous

Posted on September 21, 2009 by in lamb

Slow Roasted Lamb Loin-with Red wine

Slow Roasted Lamb Loin-with Red wine. Of all the lamb recipes, roast leg of lamb must surely be the most popular, but once you have tasted this de-boned loin, slow roasted lamb loin with a red wine jus, I think you will change your mind somewhat. You can ask your butcher to de-bone the loin for you, but it is very expensive.
Instead, why not try and make your own, all you need is a really sharp knife and a few hints and tips and you can do this yourself.

Lamb Loin

2 kg de-boned lamb loin – trimmed and tied
olive oil
sprigs of rosemary
2-3 cloves of garlic- cut into slivers
salt/pepper
lemon juice
a few sprigs of mint.
125ml red wine
a few knobs of butter

Make incisions into the lamb and place a sprig of rosemary and garlic in each hole. Rub with olive oil and season well. Drizzle with lemon juice and keep in fridge for at least 3-4 hours, over night is best.
Preheat the oven to 180C. Heat a frying pan to high heat and add the oil. Sear the lamb for 2 to 3 minutes , browning all sides.

Slow Roasted Lamb Loin-with Red wine

Then place the lamb onto the bones that you kept from the de-boning and place into the oven with the mint, cover with foil and slow roast for approximately 90 minutes minutes, or if you like your meat rare, 20-25 minutes. The cooking time of course will depend on the size of the lamb loin too.

Once ready, cover loosely with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Now take the meat sauce, bones and mint that was left in the bottom of the roasting pan and pour in a pot and start reducing the sauce. Add some water if there is too little liquid. Add the red wine and keep on reducing. When the sauce is the right consistency, beat the butter in a knob at a time. You want a glossy dark brown jous.
When ready to serve, remove the string from the lamb and slice. You can cut it in thin slices and present it on a meat platter or for nicer presentation, slice off the very ends and then cut the loin into four, six or eight equal pieces, depending on how big your loin is.
If you still feel that Roast leg of Lamb is one of your favorite lamb recipes, feel free to try my
Roast leg of lamb Recipe……or maybe
Lamb Shanks served on a bed of creamy polenta?

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

14 Responses to “Slow Roasted Lamb Loin-with Red wine-and Mint Infused Jous”

1. Emily 21 September 2009 at 11:12 am #

Oh my! I admire you. I've never cooked such a big piece of lamb before. It looks delicious!

2. ♥peachkins♥ 21 September 2009 at 3:08 pm #

this looks extra yummy!

3. That Girl 21 September 2009 at 4:19 pm #

I love roast leg of lamb, but you're right – a boneless version does sound delicious.

4. Amy 21 September 2009 at 4:50 pm #

This is the 3rd recipe I've seen for lamb in the past week, which has my mouth watering. I think the universe is trying to tell me something. Like I need to try lamb. Yes, can you believe it? I've never tried lamb!

Gorgeous photo, Nina.

5. Nina Timm 21 September 2009 at 5:06 pm #

emily – with a sweet tooth like yours, I bet you go straight for dessert, right?

peachskins – oh yes, it was!

that girl – you still get the flavor from the bones, but less hassle to eat!!

amy – oh, my hat….I cannot believe this…… you must try it, unless you have religious or health reasons for not eating lamb,of course!!!

6. Pam 21 September 2009 at 10:03 pm #

I've never roasted lamb because I am not a huge fan but my husband would be thrilled if I did this for him.

7. Elra 21 September 2009 at 11:35 pm #

My favorite meat, I could eat lamb all the time and would careless about beef. Miamm, can help myself from drooling Nina.

8. Katerina 22 September 2009 at 12:32 am #

I have never made a lamb loin! Though I would currently say that it is actually the shank, and not the leg that is my current favorite.

9. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 22 September 2009 at 12:55 am #

WOW WOW WOW! That is such a work of art.

10. Bellini Valli 22 September 2009 at 7:29 pm #

Lamb is such a perfect roast for company. Love the jus:D

11. Helene 22 September 2009 at 11:35 pm #

What a great lamb loin. You do great dishes.

12. Kimmie and Heartpoet 23 September 2009 at 5:21 am #

I am salivating all the way from Australia.

Would love for you to come post this delish recipe in our fun Recipe Of The Month competition in our foodie forum.

You are all most welcome to join.

Kind regards

Kimmie

Australia :]

13. Peter M 28 September 2009 at 11:27 pm #

Nina, I have not seen such a perfectly boned and tied leg o' lamb…kudos and of course, bravo for cooking up a fine piece of meat!

14. Mara 22 March 2011 at 4:33 am #

One of my fav!roasted lamb very yummy!