October 17, 2018

Beetroot – An Energy Booster of note!!!

Posted on October 8, 2009 by in sandwiches

As far as nutrition goes, freshly boiled beetroot is a good , maybe even, better source of nutrients than the raw beetroot..

Beetroot has so many benefits for your health and I will highlight but a few.
– very rich in potassium
– contains Vit C
– it is an excellent source of folate
– the leafy tops are rich in beta-carotene, iron and calcium

The levels of most minerals, including potassium (which regulates the heartbeat, and maintains normal blood pressure and nerve function), are notably higher. When cooked, most of the vitamin levels stay the same, including vitamin C, and there is only a slight loss of folate. So when I make a vegetable drink, I prefer to use the beetroot raw, but for all other purposes I will cook or roast it.
The edible leaf tops, which contain beta carotene, calcium and iron can be cooked in exactly the same way as spinach. Beetroot has one of the highest sugar contents of any vegetable, it contains the equivalent of a teaspoonful of natural sugars per 1OOg portion.( Info sourced from: Whyweight)

I have been feeling a bit under the weather lately, nothing serious, just run down with very low energy levels. I don’t like to take tablets( battle the swallow) in any form, so supplements are often bought with good intentions and then just left after a while. I do know from previous experience that nothing gives me a “lift” quite like beetroot does, so off to the market I went and came back with plenty of beetroot. We love it in any form…pickled, roasted, just cooked and yes, in my juice..raw!!!! My daughter walks around with a permanent red ring around her mouth, she absolutely loves it…… So needles to say, beetroot appears on our menu often and I took the liberty of selecting a few of our favorites….

Yogurt Cheese and Beetroot with Orange blossom Honey.

Fresh Beetroot Juice

Today I want to share with you a delicious sandwich I made yesterday.

Wild Yeast baguette with beetroot, cottage cheese and leafy greens.

1 wild yeast baguette
2-3 cooked beetroots
chunky cottage cheese
pomegranate pips
leafy greens of your choice
salt/pepper

I am not going to bore you with a method, just look at the picture and you can assemble it yourself.

I feel better already so beetroot has once again given me the lift I needed. I added some pomegranate seeds to my sandwich , not only for color, but pomegranate seeds are also packed with all kinds of nutrients…

24 Responses to “Beetroot – An Energy Booster of note!!!”

1. The Woman 8 October 2009 at 10:42 am #

YUM! I love beetroot and this looks delicious.

2. Sylvie 8 October 2009 at 1:57 pm #

What a great lunch time treat. For years I thought I hated beetroot, due to a bad pickled beetroot encounter. Then I went to Finland and had a root vegetable stew with beetroot and was finally converted and turned into a beetroot lover.

3. Bellini Valli 8 October 2009 at 2:24 pm #

This an upscale version of the beet sandwiches I used to eat as a child Nina. Even then I knew that beets were good for me:D

4. Ben 8 October 2009 at 2:42 pm #

oh yummy! I love beetroot and those are some great ways to eat it, but my favorite is in this christmas salad, so delicious 😀 http://whatscooking.us/2008/12/23/ensalada-noche-buena/

5. ♥peachkins♥ 8 October 2009 at 3:29 pm #

this is a nice looking sandwich!

6. That Girl 8 October 2009 at 6:11 pm #

This is a silly question, but is beetroot the same thing we Americans refer to as plain ole beets? Or is it a different varietal?

7. letsgetstupid 8 October 2009 at 6:12 pm #

ooooh! your baguette looks DELISH!!!!! tx for visiting and commenting on my blog! 🙂

8. Junglefrog 8 October 2009 at 7:45 pm #

This looks gorgeous! I hope it helps you to feel better too!

9. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 8 October 2009 at 8:30 pm #

That is a beautiful looking sandwich, Nina! I love beets too and there is nothing better than pairing beets and cheese – I prefer goat cheese, but cheese is cheese! LOL! 🙂

I hope you feel better soon! My husband is the same way – can't take pills!

10. Helene 9 October 2009 at 4:17 am #

What a great looking sandwich. Beautiful.

11. frockandfork 9 October 2009 at 12:12 pm #

Oooo I want that now 🙂 It looks beautiful and delicious. I love the photo and the color composition!

12. Anonymous 9 October 2009 at 2:01 pm #

As always yummy food and a beautiful photo!! PPD

13. Koek! 9 October 2009 at 2:47 pm #

Mamma mia! Beautiful, certainly. Unfortunately I loathe beetroot. You had me considering it for a moment though!

14. elly 9 October 2009 at 3:56 pm #

I LOVE beets. That is one gorgeous looking sandwich! I just want to take a big ol' bite into that crust bread. Mmm.

15. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 9 October 2009 at 4:01 pm #

I love beets – especially when they're roasted. What a wonderful idea to use them in a sandwich!

16. Pam 9 October 2009 at 5:42 pm #

Only you would make me want to actually try beetroot. I am not a fan of beets but this sandwich looks mighty delicious.

17. Dhanggit 9 October 2009 at 6:37 pm #

i must admit this is the most delicious looking healthy sandwich i have ever laid my eyes on..and its colorful too soo yummy

18. Lori Lynn 9 October 2009 at 11:42 pm #

I am a fan of cottage cheese. Great idea to put it in a sandwich. Hope you got your energy back Nina.
    LL

19. Jan 11 October 2009 at 11:08 am #

This sandwich looks so good Nina – I love beetroot and am now wondering why I haven't had any for a while.
    Wishing you better soon Jan x

20. Cynthia 12 October 2009 at 2:24 am #

Oh Nina dearest, so very sorry that I missed your birthday. Happy Belated Sweetheart! I wish many blessings!

I have just been reading up on your posts that I have missed and I am so moved by the birthday post that the hubby, children and friends posted. So very touching and thoughtful. You have a great group surrounding you.

My love to you and the family always.

Cyn

21. Jeanne 12 October 2009 at 1:05 pm #

Wow – now that's what I call a nutritional supplement – a lot more appealing than a tablet 🙂

22. Kevin 12 October 2009 at 5:43 pm #

Sweet beets and tangy goat cheese is a great combo!

23. Peter M 14 October 2009 at 12:59 pm #

I have never heard (nor seen) a beet sandwich but why not? Us Greeks love beets and slapping it between some bread with a tart cheese is right up our alley.

24. Jann 15 October 2009 at 11:52 am #

i love beets and goat cheese together! cottage cheese sounds delicious,too. Now in a sandwich, I will love them more…great photo!