October 24, 2020

Easy Salad Recipes – Let’s wrap it up!!

Posted on October 26, 2009 by in salads

Easy Salad Recipes! You all should know by now that my site is called “My Easy Cooking” for a reason. I like things easy, quick, effortless and if I could add cheap to the list, it will be even better. What can be easier than making a salad all wrapped up in more salad?

In my book it means less washing up, a meal filled with only good things and a happy and healthy family. My garden is finally starting to produce and I have an abundance of lettuce leaves, tomatoes and fresh herbs to choose from each and every day.

For those of you who think that lettuce has very little nutritional value for the human body, I have news. Lettuce actually has very little calories, it takes your body more calories to metabolize it than to consume it which makes lettuce an ideal choice if you want to bulk up your salads, but limit your calories. Make sure you use the darker lettuce varieties for they just contain more vitamins and anti-oxidants than your normal ice-berg. For these wraps I used Romaine or Cos lettuce for it is by far superior in nutritional value to any other lettuce variety.

Romaine or Cos Lettuce (Info gained from Suite 101.com)

Romaine lettuce is also known as cos lettuce. Romaine lettuce has a slightly bitter flavor and has a crispy texture. Cos is the most common lettuce used in a Caesar salad. Like other common lettuce types, romaine lettuce is a popular main ingredient for all types of salads. Romaine lettuce forms tight and tall-upright heads.

Romaine Lettuce Nutritional Values – head, 626 grams

• Romaine is very low in calories with 106 and low in total fat with 2 grams
  • There is no cholesterol and very little sodium (50mg)
  • An excellent source of dietary fiber with 13 grams
  • Romaine lettuce is an excellent source of vitamin K with 802% of the daily value (DV) in a 2,000-calorie diet. It is also an excellent source of vitamin A with 1,091% of the DV and vitamin C with 250% of the DV.
  • Romaine also has a good amount and balance of Omega 3 (707mg) to Omega 6 (294mg) fatty acids.

Of all the Easy Salad Recipes that I have, this one is surely the healthiest with all the goodness from the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and other ingredients that I have added. For this easy meal I place all the ingredients on a big platter and everyone makes their own salad wrap with the ingredients of their choice.
In this case I made my own mayonnaise from a recipes that I found on Lavender and Lime – Recipes to inspire you!!

Easy Salad Recipes- Fish and Salad Wraps!

750gr white fish fillets
a little flour
salt/pepper
cocktail tomatoes
avocado
fresh pineapple strips
cucumber strips
cos or romaine lettuce leaves – washed
chives to tie the wrap together.

Cut the fish a thumb-sized strips. Season and dust them in flour and fry them in a pan with a little oil until done. This can be done the previous day or use leftover fish, chicken or cheese in case you are vegetarian. Make sure all the vegetables are washed and cut in thin strips. Place all the ingredients on a wooden board or platter and enjoy. Serve with a delicious basil mayo or use a good quality store-bought mayo to make this even easier on yourself. So, there you have it…another one of my Easy Salad Recipes to add to your collection.

17 Responses to “Easy Salad Recipes – Let’s wrap it up!!”

1. ♥peachkins♥ 26 October 2009 at 12:05 pm #

these are amazing photos you have here! I love them! I love this salad wrap and I'm sure the basil mayo is perfect for this!

2. That Girl 26 October 2009 at 4:51 pm #

I love lettuce wraps! Fabulous with all kinds of fillings.

3. Pam 26 October 2009 at 5:21 pm #

Beautiful photos and great recipe. Another winner Nina!

4. Bellini Valli 26 October 2009 at 5:43 pm #

Almost lived on lettuce wraps over the weekend. These are definitely a tasty version Nina.

5. Emily 26 October 2009 at 8:12 pm #

These look so fresh and delicious! I'm definitely craving lettuce wraps now.

6. My Carolina Kitchen 26 October 2009 at 10:30 pm #

We eat a lot of salads and love them. If you plan to plant Romaine lettuce, it's handy to know that it's also called cos because sometimes that is the name on the seed package.

7. elly 27 October 2009 at 3:07 am #

Great photos and a wonderful salad!

8. Anonymous 27 October 2009 at 1:16 pm #

This is my kind of cooking, easy and delicious! oh yeah and cheap.
    I'll give a try soon.
    vickie

9. mycookinghut 27 October 2009 at 11:01 pm #

I love this recipe!! Easy, healthy and yummy, my kind of food! Nina, you did it again, made me drool 😉

10. Cynthia 28 October 2009 at 3:21 am #

I love the lettuce tied up with the green onions and what a beautiful first crop!

11. Junglefrog 28 October 2009 at 11:28 am #

What gorgeous looking salad wraps Nina! I love romaine lettuce although lettuce season here is kind of over. I simply do not like iceberg as I find it in general too watery, but this looks gorgeous, healthy and delicious!

12. Koek! 28 October 2009 at 12:34 pm #

This looks super easy and super delicious – perfect for summer. Nice one!

13. Juliana 29 October 2009 at 1:14 am #

I like this salad…easy, and tasty…it is something that I can have a anytime…yummie!

14. Christie @ Fig&Cherry 29 October 2009 at 10:28 am #

I love this idea Nina! What a novel way to serve salad.

I'm very jealous of your tomato crop, I'm hoping to grow so next year when I settle down in my own place.

15. glamah16 30 October 2009 at 6:31 pm #

Looks like you are going to have a beautuiful spring summer and produce.

16. Jeanne 2 November 2009 at 8:26 pm #

Wow – gorgeous! And I love the crop of tomatoes – next year we are going to try cherry tomatoes instead of the big ones…

17. Jann 2 November 2009 at 11:27 pm #

such healthy foods these are! I love the photos~i could pick the tomatoes directly from the screen!