October 22, 2019

Boiled eggs – hard or soft…always a treat!

Posted on November 16, 2009 by in eggs

Boiled eggs are a popular breakfast food around the world and here in Cape Town most street vendors sell them. It is cheap, very nutritious and the perfect breakie to have on the run. In my house however boiled eggs are equally welcome at the lunch or dinner table.
Sunday nights are egg-and-tomato-sandwich nights, dippy eggs are one of my childrens’ favorite lunchtime treats and I even have a savory tart recipe that has boiled eggs in it. I used boiled eggs extensively when I cater, it is divine with caviar, smoked salmon or served as a deviled egg.

In January I had a function for 1200 people and made deviled eggs. I had to boil 240 eggs and it was quite a daunting task. I bought myself a nifty egg boiling machine and ever since making boiled eggs is effortless and easy.
Most people find it difficult to get the eggs exactly to their liking and I am sure you all have “just the right way” to do it, but it is not easy to give exact times, because factors like, size of the eggs, salt in the water, ect does make a difference. I have taken the trouble to give you a few easy steps to help you along.

1.Place you eggs in an empty pot, be gentle. If you suspect that you have an cracked egg, add salt or vinegar to the water. It may help the proteins in the egg white coagulate faster to close the cracks in the shell.

2. Fill the post with enough cold water to cover the eggs and have the water level about 2 cm above the eggs.

3.Add salt to make the water “tasty”. Adding salt to the water also helps to make peeling the eggs easier.

4. Place the lid on the pot and bring the water to boiling point and turn off the heat. Keep the lid on the pot and set your timer for 10-15 minutes. It is important you do not start the timer until the water starts boiling, and you turn off the heat. Too much time will make the eggs discolored and smelly, while too little time will cause them to be runny.

5. Stop the cooking process by cooling the eggs off under cold running water. Let the eggs sit for a while to cool completely.

6. Peel the eggs under cold running water so make it easier. Fresh egs are difficult to peel, o when making boiled eggs, go for eggs that are slightly older. Eat with salt and cracked black pepper or let you imagination run wild!!!

On Saturday I made this divine breakfast, my family was in a state of uforia and all I could get from them was : ” Hummmmm, mmmmmmm, yummmm, ahhh this is so good….

Boiled eggs and Asparagus Breakfast

2 eggs per person
about 4 spears of asparagus per person
2 rashers of bacon per person
black pepper
sea salt
toasted bread of your choice.

Cut the bacon in 2 lengthwise and wrap each piece around the asparagus. When all the asparagus are done, place on a baking tray and roast in the oven until the bacon is done. In the meantime, boil your eggs and when ready serve with freshly toasted bread, slat and pepper and a good cuppa java!!!

Tags: , ,

27 Responses to “Boiled eggs – hard or soft…always a treat!”

1. Zelia 16 November 2009 at 9:10 am #

Morning Nina, lovely pics and ideas – will try it with my family 🙂 I made your 'jamtertjies' – baked half and the rest in freezer for next weekend… Divine 🙂

2. Dhanggit 16 November 2009 at 10:59 am #

gorgeous photos as usual!! I love boiled eggs hard or soft!!

3. ♥peachkins♥ 16 November 2009 at 11:13 am #

These are extra special boiled eggs, Nina. I love them!

4. Art and Appetite 16 November 2009 at 12:19 pm #

What a really really nice idea! Your presentation is absolutely creative and mind blowing. Love it!

5. Marisa 16 November 2009 at 12:21 pm #

Thanks for the how-to, I struggle with boiling eggs myself, so I tend to avoid it. But yours look so very tasty – just the way boiled eggs should look.

I also love the asparagus wrapped in bacon – I could eat a whole oven tray full!

6. Katrine 16 November 2009 at 1:02 pm #

Lovely photos!

7. Bellini Valli 16 November 2009 at 4:03 pm #

Thanks for the tips about boiling eggs Nina…it is one of those simple things that doesn't always turn out!!

8. Ben 16 November 2009 at 4:04 pm #

That's a breakfast for champions! I love the first picture. It's so colorful 🙂

9. That Girl 16 November 2009 at 5:48 pm #

boiled eggs are one of those things where there are a million different "recipes" and everyone claims theirs is the best.

10. Christie @ Fig&Cherry 16 November 2009 at 6:07 pm #

Fantastic styling Nina! I must say I'm a big fan of boiled eggs too – hard or soft. You're right they are divine with smoked salmon and caviar and those asparagus spears look very happy in that yolk! 🙂

11. Pam 16 November 2009 at 6:10 pm #

This is a mouth watering breakfast. I love the idea of dipping the asparagus/bacon into the soft boiled egg. Mmmmm good.

12. Helene 17 November 2009 at 1:26 am #

Great tips about boiling eggs. Love the styling in this picture.

13. Elra 17 November 2009 at 4:39 am #

Would love to get up in the morning and have breakfast like this. Delicious and so good for the soul!

14. Zen Chef 17 November 2009 at 6:36 am #

Boiled egg, asparagus, bacon, smoked salt.. that's enough reasons right there to move in with you. 🙂
    Love the photo-styling. Very catchy!

15. Nina Timm 17 November 2009 at 8:15 am #

zelia – fancy seeing you here!!!! Thx for the support. Oh, that pastry is just the best…..pot pies, savory tarts …just about anything!!

dhanggit – thank you!!

peachskins – my family did too!!

art and appetite – coming from an artist, I take that as a huge compliment!

marisa – most people do, that was the inspiration for the post and asparagus are so cheap at the moment that you could basically eat the whole tray!!

katrine – thank you!

16. Nina Timm 17 November 2009 at 8:21 am #

val – you are so right, glad I could help!

ben – I think my family are all champions!!!

that girl – absolutely!

christie – I have days where I prefer them hard boiled but most days I prefer them soft and runny and just mmmmdelicious!!!

pam – same elements as a normal fry up, just a little bit different!!

helene – thank you!

elra – this was our Saturday treat!!

zen chef – please do and we can just cook and cook and cook!!!!

17. ladyironchef 17 November 2009 at 12:57 pm #

I love soft boil eggs! not so much of hard boil, but then i eat almost all kinds of eggs, poached, scrambled, sunny side up, yum yum!

18. Sarah 17 November 2009 at 2:07 pm #

That's it, I'm coming to breakfast at yours next weekend!! Eggs are so great because they are so versatile – you can have them with caviar or with bread and they are equally delicious.

19. Junglefrog 17 November 2009 at 5:04 pm #

I would be making those sounds too if I got served a breakfast like that! I love eggs and every weekend we have them with breakfast in bed, but this is a version I have to try! Sooo delicious!

20. mycookinghut 17 November 2009 at 11:02 pm #

Love your composition!!! Eggs… soft boiled or hard boiled… love them 🙂

21. Mrs. B. 18 November 2009 at 1:56 am #

That looks like the best breakfast! Love your pics!

22. Veggie Belly 18 November 2009 at 7:44 am #

I love the first picture, so beautiful!

23. Nina Timm 18 November 2009 at 8:46 am #

ladyironchef – I agree, a runny poached egg on toast, ooo!!!

sarah – welcome anytime!!!

junglefrog – ha-ha!!!

my cooking hut – thank you!!!

mrs b – I think it was!!!

veggie belly – thanks a million for the visit and the comment!

24. My Carolina Kitchen 21 November 2009 at 12:28 am #

We adore eggs and this sound wonderful, especially the one with the asparagus. I've been away from internet service and you've been busy…have a lot of catching up to do.

25. glamah16 22 November 2009 at 6:24 pm #

Very creative layout! I have always loved hard boiled. Cant get into the soft. Love how you served these up with asparagus.

26. Natalie 23 November 2009 at 4:21 pm #

Looks so yummy…I love soft boiled eggs…will be making this for my husband this weekend 🙂