May 15, 2021

Sorbet is just the easiest thing to make.

Posted on November 18, 2009 by in desserts

Sorbet

Sorbet making is a skill and only the good chefs can make it. Or else, this is what I have always believed. Every summer, I get so inspired by all the fresh berries and fruit, but my enthusiasm is soon dampened by my fear of making a flop…. (character flaw, I know!)
I even have an ice-cream maker so I really do not have a valid excuse for not trying to make sorbet sooner, but the good news is that I tried and I conquered!

I made my first batch of strawberry and basil sorbet!!! Now, I am hooked on sorbet and I cannot wait to try my hand at lemon, orange, pear and all the other lovely flavors that I see here in the bloggersphere.

According to Wikipedia, sorbet is a frozen dessert, made with sweetened water and iced fruit. Basically that is exactly what it is, but you can also add alcohol which lowers the freezing temperature, resulting in a softer texture. Whereas ice-cream is mostly made with dairy products, sorbet is mostly water-based and is therefor a better option to have when watching your fat intake.
In Italy a very similar product “granita” is made.

It is crunchier in texture because of the freezing process. As it freezes, large ice crystals is formed and granita is also often scraped with a fork to give an even crunchier texture when served. These large crystals should however not be present in a good sorbet. If you do not have an ice-cream machine, just use a fork and lightly beat the sorbet every hour or so while it is busy freezing, that will break up the crystals…
So without further ado, here then is my first ever sorbet…….

Strawberry-and-basil-sorbet

Strawberry and Basil sorbet

3 cups strawberries
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup sugar
4T. lemon juice
1 T. vodka
about 1 leaf of basil – you only want a subtle hint of basil!

Put the sugar, water and basil leaf in a pot and heat slowly to melt the sugar. Bring the syrup to a boil and boil for about 3 minutes. Remove the basil and cool the syrup. While the syrup is boiling, puree the strawberries in a blender and strain if you don’t want the pips. I like the texture it gives to the end product. Combine the puree with the lemon juice and vodka, then stir in the sugar syrup. You can now transfer this mixture to your ice-cream maker and churn until ready or pour into a plastic container and freeze. Every hour just beat the mixture with a fork to break up the ice crystals. Place back in freezer.
Serve this delicious sorbet as an in-between-courses palate cleanser or as part of a Trio of sorbets….I am going to do this for Christmas…pear, grannadilla and some kind of berry sorbet!!!

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

18 Responses to “Sorbet is just the easiest thing to make.”

1. Rose&Thorn 18 November 2009 at 10:04 am #

We share a similar fear – I have made lots of ice cream, but never sorbet. You have given me the "helpstoot" I needed!

2. Anonymous 18 November 2009 at 10:12 am #

It sounds wonderful, Nina!! The photos are very pretty!! PPD

3. Anonymous 18 November 2009 at 10:12 am #

It sounds wonderful, Nina!! The photos are very pretty!! PPD

4. Marisa 18 November 2009 at 12:00 pm #

Beautifully done! The flavour combo sounds exquisite. I've attempted ice-cream before, but it came out rather rock-hard due to not having an ice-cream maker, so I'm a bit hesitant now regarding frozen desserts.

5. Bellini Valli 18 November 2009 at 12:54 pm #

The colour is stunning as well Nina. Congratulations on conquering sorbet!!!

6. Pam 18 November 2009 at 6:05 pm #

Basil and vodka take this sorbet to a whole new level. It looks refreshing and tasty Nina.

7. That Girl 18 November 2009 at 6:44 pm #

Sorbet IS easy! I'm so glad you finally tried it!

8. Elra 18 November 2009 at 9:48 pm #

Love those vibrant color on your sorbet and a unique combo Nina.

9. Justin 19 November 2009 at 2:41 pm #

Yho, that looks yummy, and easy too. I'm so gonna try it. I might add more vodka though (a personal preference).
    Thanks for sharing.
    Juz

10. Junglefrog 19 November 2009 at 7:04 pm #

See… icecream and sorbets are something I still have to conquer myself. I don't have an icecream machine (yet) but this does look very amazing and it's good to find out it might just be a little easier then it appears…:)

11. Juliana 19 November 2009 at 10:28 pm #

Oh! What a nice sorbet….and the flavor must be so yummie…strawberries and basil, it is a must. Love your picture πŸ˜‰

12. My Carolina Kitchen 21 November 2009 at 12:26 am #

What a lovely presentation for your sorbet. Your Christmas version with pear sounds perfect.

13. elly 22 November 2009 at 3:30 am #

Yum! Beautiful sorbet, Nina! I love strawberry and basil together (and watermelon and basil too).

14. glamah16 22 November 2009 at 6:22 pm #

That looks gorgeous. I bet the party goers loved it.

15. Jeanne 23 November 2009 at 3:11 pm #

That's pretty awesome if that's your first attempt!! Gorgeous colour, and I love that cone holder πŸ™‚

16. James 3 December 2009 at 9:27 pm #

'…easiest thing to do' – you're so right there. Making mango sorbet in next 5 mins.

17. Peter M 7 December 2009 at 5:27 pm #

I'm in awe of the intense red colour of the sorbet. Surely the flavour matches the colour.

18. Patricia McCartney 4 August 2018 at 10:41 am #

Looks lovely! I have just made some blackberry sorbet…. the cultivated blackberries in our allotment have been plentiful and huge due to the hot weather. I will post a pic once the sorbet has finished freezing… it tastes fab (licks spoon)