April 22, 2021

Chicken Burger – let’s give it some Thai flavors!!

Posted on November 23, 2009 by in Chicken

Chicken BurgerA chicken burgers can be very bland some days…you  have to do something really spectacular to that chicken by grilling, basting or crumbing it. A good chicken burger on the other hand, can be heavenly and can easily stand up to your favorite beef burger.
For me, making a good chicken burger, always meant I had to crumb the burger, but recently I saw this idea of making  a Thai Chicken Burger. I think it was a recipe by Bill Granger, but I have no idea of which magazine I saw this in.

This burger is light, healthy and so, so fragrant. Served with a simple cucumber salad on the side, it is ideal for serving at a picnic, next to the pool or as a light supper outside in the garden. This is my take on what  I remember from reading the recipe……

Thai Chicken Burger with a light cucumber salad!

700gr chicken breast fillet – skin and boneless
125gr fresh bread crumbs
1-2 chillies
1 stick of lemon grass – hard out leaves removes
a big handful of coriander
salt/pepper
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 egg
1 shallot
oil for frying
1 teaspoon green curry paste – optional

Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until combined but not completely smooth, you want to retain a chunky consistency. Make fat and plump patties and shallow fry in hot oil. Serve on a fresh buns with sweet chili sauce and this delicious cucumber salad..

Chicken Burger
Cucumber Salad

!/2  English cucumber – peeled
1 red chili – seeds removed and chopped
1 small red onion – slices thinly
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
salt/pepper
zest and juice of a lime

Slice the cucumber very thinly using a  mandolin or use your vegetable peeler and cut the cumcumber in long thin strips. Place in a bowl and add all the other ingredients. Taste!!!! What you want is a perfect combination of sweet and sour with a nice “bite” from the chili.

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

Tags:

21 Responses to “Chicken Burger – let’s give it some Thai flavors!!”

1. Marisa 23 November 2009 at 9:51 am #

Perfect for summer! Your presentation is beautiful as always Nina – you should come do some food styling for me! 😉

2. Bellini Valli 23 November 2009 at 1:08 pm #

This sounds amazingly light and refreshing Nina. Chicken burgers are definitely the preferred around here and we are always looking for new twists.

3. ♥peachkins♥ 23 November 2009 at 2:15 pm #

That chicken burger is very appetizing..

4. Jeanne 23 November 2009 at 3:08 pm #

Oooh, my husband would just die fr these – he adores chillies and he adores coriander leaf!! Beautiful.

5. That Girl 23 November 2009 at 7:03 pm #

You know, I'm a huge fan of turkey burgers, but I don't think I've ever made a chicken burger. So good looking!

6. Pam 23 November 2009 at 8:10 pm #

Yum, yum, yum, yum. It looks tasty and beautiful!

7. Ben 23 November 2009 at 11:16 pm #

I bet this burger wasn't bland at all. What a great combination of flavors!

8. redkathy 24 November 2009 at 4:45 am #

Talk about flavor and display… I can taste that chicken from here. Simply fabulous!!

9. Kevin 24 November 2009 at 1:32 pm #

This chicken burger certainly isn't bland! It looks so good! Nice shot! I really like all of the fresh greens

10. Cynthia 24 November 2009 at 4:23 pm #

Oh Nina, why do you torture me so! 🙂

11. elly 24 November 2009 at 7:03 pm #

No boring ol' chicken here! What a wonderful way to spice up burgers. Mmm.

12. Katerina 24 November 2009 at 7:07 pm #

I love this idea! I wonder whether they would be even better made ahead to get the flavours to meld. Like making them the night before?

13. Emily 25 November 2009 at 9:17 am #

That chicken burger is glorious! It looks so healthy and delicious.

14. Peter 26 November 2009 at 1:00 pm #

Great recipe: fresh cucumber salad and a tasty Thai burger. Who could say no?

15. My Carolina Kitchen 26 November 2009 at 2:02 pm #

I love this chicken burger. I used to make one but it had cream in it and wasn't very healthy. Yours is so full of fresh clean flavors; I'm going to have to give it a try. I also like your cucumber salad and the photos, of course, are spectacular as usual.

We used to grow lemon grass in our garden in the islands but now that we live in the mountains I can't find it at the market. Do you know of a good substitute or can I leave it out?

16. Nina Timm 26 November 2009 at 5:55 pm #

marisa – thx, I am dying for a job like that!!

val – this twist should be interesting for you then!

peachskins – thank you!!

jeanne – well, what's stopping you then???

that girl – turkey is quite scares around here!!!

pam – thank you for always popping in!!

ben – it was a huge hit around here!!!

redkathy – sometimes I feel that my work is just not up to scratch…comments like yours, inspire me to keep trying!!

kevin – a nice way of getting the kids to eat their greens!!

cynthia – oopsy!!!

elly – Boring it certainly wasn't!!

katerina – I made mine the night before and yes, it definitely intensify the flavors!!

emily – looking at all the sweet stuff on your site is forcing us to all be on a diet!!Ha-ha!!

peter – first time here???Welcome, welcome, I hope you make yourself feel right at home in my kitchen!!

my carolina kitchen – it is a good thing you ask….I also battled to get lemon grass, but you can substitute it with a heaped tbsp of green curry paste(less you you don't like the heat).

17. tobias cooks! 26 November 2009 at 8:02 pm #

I love thai flavours. Looks fresh an juicy, your burger.

18. pierre 29 November 2009 at 5:29 pm #

Hello this is Pierre from Paris in France ! I jsut bumped into your blog and I jsut love it ! I love this burger thai recipe and the photo is superb !
    if you like french creative food come and see my blog you are welcome for a visit the door is always open see you soon !!! Pierre

19. Hamster 3 December 2009 at 6:00 pm #

If you like learning to cook thai food, take a look at this website

20. Peter M 7 December 2009 at 5:32 pm #

That pillow of cilantro on top would really make the burger just pop in the mouth…hungry again.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks