September 19, 2019

Sweet Potato Gratin

Posted on November 27, 2009 by in vegetarian

This easy Sweet Potato recipe is just the thing you need to serve with all the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. After all the cooking and cleaning you all have been doing in the last couple of weeks or days leading up to Thanksgiving, you want a recipe that will be effortless, easy and fairly cheap, right?
Before I get to the recipe….a little information about the sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas)
It is a dicotyledonous plant(and after studying Science with my son, I know what that means, yeah!!)and the sweet tasting tuberous roots are what we know as sweet potato.
Interestingly enough, the sweet potato is just distantly related to the potato. Sweet potato is low-fat, low GI and it has high levels of Vitamin E and carotene. It is an excellent dietary antioxidant and helps with the regulating of blood pressure and anemia.
To get back to the recipe, it is dead-easy and what’s best is that it needs only 4 ingredients!!!

Sweet Potato Gratin
1 kg sweet potato
salt
250ml sour cream
250ml mature cheddar cheese
fresh nutmeg
125ml grated parmesan – use fresh
Boil the sweet potatoes in salted water until soft. Drain and roughly mash with a potato masher. Grate some fresh nutmeg and mix in with the sweet potato.  In the meantime, mix the 2 cheeses with the sour cream and keep aside. Take the mashed sweet potato and spoon into a pie dish. Spread the cheese mixture over the top, grate some more nutmeg over and bake in a hot oven until golden and bubbly!!!!

24 Responses to “Sweet Potato Gratin”

1. Koek! 27 November 2009 at 10:35 am #

Oh mama… Now THAT is a sexy dish. I want it now.

2. Mochachocolata Rita 27 November 2009 at 10:48 am #

anything with gratin sounds, look and taste SEXY!

3. Pilar - Lechuza 27 November 2009 at 12:41 pm #

What a delicious dish and a lovely picture!!
    regards

4. My Carolina Kitchen 27 November 2009 at 2:37 pm #

What a nice and pleasant change from the normal sweet dishes that feature sweet potatoes. With two of my favorite cheeses, this dish is calling my name. It would be great a you suggested with leftover turkey.

5. Elra 27 November 2009 at 6:56 pm #

WOW, this gratin really look so good and perfect.

6. mycookinghut 28 November 2009 at 12:47 am #

Love potato gratin but have never tried with sweet potato though 😉 Great choice!

7. ♥peachkins♥ 28 November 2009 at 6:21 am #

this is the perfect sidedish!

8. Christie @ Fig&Cherry 28 November 2009 at 7:36 am #

Mmmm, I love sweet potato! I think I prefer it to white potato in a gratin. Love the perfectly melted cheese – great shot!

9. Y 28 November 2009 at 10:19 am #

What a gorgeous looking gratin, especially that golden crust! The fact that it's sweet potato, makes it 10000x better, in my books 😀

10. Junglefrog 28 November 2009 at 1:26 pm #

That looks like a very good potato gratin. I have never really cooked with sweet potatoes but I have gotta give this a try!

11. Kevin 28 November 2009 at 2:21 pm #

Nice looking cheesy gratin!

12. Jaime 28 November 2009 at 5:17 pm #

I love sweet potatoes!

13. Susan @ SGCC 28 November 2009 at 6:09 pm #

This looks wonderful, Nina! I love that it is more savory instead of the usual brown sugar and maple syrup casseroles.

14. Velva 29 November 2009 at 2:24 am #

This sweet potato gratin recipe looks absolutely divine! This would be perfect to serve up with dinner. Thanks for sharing.

15. That Girl 29 November 2009 at 8:33 pm #

We've got leftover turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes, but not sweet potatoes! Perfect.

16. elly 30 November 2009 at 12:36 am #

YUM Nina! I only recently (like, 2 weeks ago, lol) discovered I liked sweet potatoes. Most people make them overly sweet with maple syrup, marshmallows, etc. but I find that I really enjoy them in savory applications like this one!

17. Linda@eatshowandtell 30 November 2009 at 2:54 am #

Wow.. you sure do know how to make simple look good. I love the crispy cheese layer on top of your potato gratin, definitely my favourite bit. One of my close friend loves potato, thinking about doing this for her, thanks for the recipe.

18. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 30 November 2009 at 3:57 am #

I love sweet potatoes and can't wait to try this dish. It sounds wonderful!

19. Jeanne 30 November 2009 at 11:58 am #

Oh me oh my… That's the perfect dish for today here in London – it's raining cats and dogs and stormy. And I have sweet potatoes in the vegetable rack at home… 🙂

20. glamah16 30 November 2009 at 10:58 pm #

Now this is unique. I like it.

21. Peter M 10 December 2009 at 12:06 pm #

That topping is perfect: golden brown, it's crispy and a little gooey at the same time.

22. Ambelene Freemantle 4 April 2013 at 12:30 pm #

Oh yes Nina this is great, I think its is going to be wonderful with The lamb

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Sweet Potato, leek and Biltong Soup | My Easy Cooking - May 14, 2014

[…] sweet potatoes in more ways than just the golden, sweet South African “soetpatats”! My Sweet Potato gratin, is certainly the recipe in my book that causes the most oooh’s and aaaaah’s, but you […]

2. Sweet Potato, biltong and Leek Soup - May 19, 2014

[…] to love sweet potatoes in more ways than just the golden, sweet South African “soetpatats”! My Sweet Potato gratin, is certainly the recipe in my book that causes the most oooh’s and aaaaah’s, but you have to […]