May 23, 2019

Bean Recipes – Warm Bean and Potato Salad!

Posted on November 30, 2009 by in seafood

bean recipes

Bean recipes are what I look for these days when I open a new food magazine or recipe book. “Why?” would you ask and I would say, “because we are eating more and more beans in this house and less and less red meat!

Studies have shown that eating more beans, could lower your cholesterol significantly and since my hubby has a slight cholesterol problem, we can still fix it by eating right instead of using medication.
Beans contain at least 20% protein and are high in carbohydrates which provides long lasting energy. Beans are high in fiber, low in fat and more importantly it has high levels of Vit B and Iron which is necessary for energy and assisting the body to make red blood cells which carries oxygen through out the body. In other words we need this vitamin for healthy nerves and blood cells …….and That my dear friends is why I need more and more bean recipes.
I use a lot of canned beans, simply because I don’t have the time to watch over  pot of cooking beans for hours. I have a whole variety of canned beans in my pantry and it is the easiest thing to add a tin of beans to a recipe and thus adding a lot of healthy stuff to a meal, without much effort. So next time you go to the grocery store, stock up on cans of cannelini beans, kidney beans, barlotti beans, white beans etc. It will inspire you to invent new bean recipes , just like a can of cannelli beans inspired me to make this warm bean and potato salad to serve with my fish the other night.
Cannellini beans are kidney-shaped with squarish ends. They  are from Italy and are creamy white in colour. When cooked, they have a fluffy texture and a slightly nutty, mild flavor.

Warm Bean and Potato Salad

4 servings

8 new potatoes – washed

a few threads of saffron

1 red onion

mint

1 tin of cannellini beans – drained and washed in a sieve

olive oil

red wine vinegar

1 chili

salt/pepper

juice and zest of a lemon

Method

Place potatoes and saffron in a pot with cold water and bring to the boil. Boil the potatoes until cooked, but not mushy. Drain, cut in halves and keep aside. Heat some olive oil in a skillet and add the potatoes and brown ever so slightly. Add the beans and chopped chili and toss in the pan, to coat with the love oil. Add the lemon zest and juice and toss some more. Slice the red onion in at the very end and serve with chopped mint and some more olive oil and a squirt of red wine vinegar. Season to taste. Serve hot of luke warm ….the flavor is just better!

Tags: , , , ,

21 Responses to “Bean Recipes – Warm Bean and Potato Salad!”

1. Jeanne 30 November 2009 at 11:56 am #

Oh YUM! I am always looking for new ways to use beans too – I do a fab creamy mustard & flageoet bean dish with smoked haddock – sheer comfort. Love the flavours in this 🙂

2. Koek! 30 November 2009 at 12:37 pm #

those potatoes look gorgeously golden and delicious… I am a BIG bean fan 🙂

3. Emily 30 November 2009 at 12:37 pm #

Everything you make looks so good. Love this salad!

4. Bellini Valli 30 November 2009 at 1:20 pm #

My mom has hereditary high cholesterol but she controls it very well by following in my dads footsteps with a vegetarian diet.This recipe offers potatoes as well so I am in!!

5. Nina Timm 30 November 2009 at 1:46 pm #

jeanne – oooo, that sounds yummee!!!

koek – it is the saffron that does the trick!

emily – aaaah, thanks

val – I know you like your tatties!!!!

6. Ben 30 November 2009 at 2:53 pm #

Good for you! Beans a super food that have so many benefits, are inexpensive and are delicious! I love this salad.

7. That Girl 30 November 2009 at 5:31 pm #

I love beans! I try to incorporate them in breakfasts and lunches as well as dinners.

8. Pam 30 November 2009 at 7:52 pm #

Oh Nina – this looks so delicious and so does your sweet potato gratin down below. Mmmm.

9. glamah16 30 November 2009 at 10:57 pm #

Im saving this, as I am trying to get more beans into our diet. I like how tghis flavored as well and more like salad.

10. Juliana 1 December 2009 at 5:54 am #

Oh! Bean with potato…served warm…great idea…looks delicious…it seems that they melt in your mouth…yummie!

11. Anwar 1 December 2009 at 9:55 am #

I must try this, especially now that i know it can help reduce cholestrol, just a bit wary of the "love oil" mentioned.. 😉

12. myfrenchkitchen 1 December 2009 at 4:45 pm #

Now this is a recipe for OUR part of the world…warm salads! Delicious Nina!
    ronelle

13. Helene 2 December 2009 at 1:24 am #

This looks like a 'must-try' recipe. I like beans and they are so healthy. Nice picture.

14. Gourmand 'n Chef 2 December 2009 at 9:14 am #

Great recipes. You should consider adding some of your recipes and their pictures on http://www.foonthu.com, a food 'social' network.

The recipes would be fully attributed to you. You would also be able to describe yourself on your profile and link back to your blog. You can get followers just like twitter and use it as one more marketing channel for your catering business. It is completely free!

15. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 2 December 2009 at 5:38 pm #

We love cannelini beans in this house! What a tasty way to serve them and the piece of fish on top looks scrumptious!

16. elly 3 December 2009 at 6:09 am #

We've been eating tons of beans, too. I just love them – can't believe I used to not like them (or think I did)! This looks great and you certainly can't go wrong with potatoes 🙂

17. zenchef 3 December 2009 at 6:09 am #

I swear i could dive head first into this beautiful plate of food. Potato and bean salad sounds *exactly like what i'm craving right now. How did you know? 🙂

18. Rose&Thorn 3 December 2009 at 12:09 pm #

I have now trained my veggie hating husband to love beans, I serve them often – sometimes hidden and sometimes as the main ingredients – no complaints.
    One thing I know – beans and fish are a match made in heaven!

19. Lori Lynn 5 December 2009 at 3:20 am #

Best wishes to your husband with his cholesterol. The dish looks fabulous.
    LL

20. Sweet and Savory 6 December 2009 at 7:34 am #

I havn't made potato salad in a while. This looks like a nice change in recipe and worth a try.

I love potatoes but I like them warmed up and that is why I probably don't run to make the salad.

Maybe you will change my attitude.

21. picnicideas 18 December 2009 at 7:14 pm #

This warm bean and potato salad looks great.First time for me in this blog and it is a great blog with wonderful recipes and pics,thanks:-)