August 25, 2019

Cherries in abundance so lets make cherry dessert!!!

Posted on December 3, 2009 by in desserts

Cherries

Cherries are always in abundance this time of year and I remember as a child we would always spend a whole day on this  specific farm, picking and eating cherries until our tummies hurt. At the end of such a day we would take some cherries home with us to use as decorations on our Christmas trifle and fruit salad. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine cooking with these beautiful fruits.

It was only later in my life that I started to experiment with cherries and using them more in more in my recipes, such as cherries marinated in Kirsch to make a Black Forest Trifle or even using them in savory recipes, such as my Chicken Liver paired with cherries and deep fried sage. A dessert that has always fascinated me though, is Cherry Clafoutis….I don’t know why, maybe because it is French and I love the French or maybe it is because of the cherries nested in the soft vanilla mattress that I always drooled over pictures of Cherry Clafoutis. Having said that, I have always thought it was difficult to make and boy, was I happy to find out that I was wrong. It is the easiest thing to make and the element of this dish that took up the most time was pipping the cherries(only to read today that the pips should traditionally be left in!!).
My only problem was that I filled the dishes to the top and some of the clafoutis spilled over and I think next time I will bake them in a waterbath! The taste, however was glorious and with a drizzle of cream over the top…..heaven!!!!

Cherries

I used the a recipe from Souvlaki for the Soul. Peter is not only a wonderful cook, but his photography is most of the times breathtaking to me….. go see for yourself!

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

Tags:

17 Responses to “Cherries in abundance so lets make cherry dessert!!!”

1. That Girl 3 December 2009 at 7:58 pm #

I love cherry clafouti! Yours looks so much flakier than mine does. I really miss picking fresh fruit. That eating too much fresh from the tree stomach-ache was the best!

2. Peter G 3 December 2009 at 10:31 pm #

Thanks for the shout out Nina..glad you enjoyed it!

3. ♥peachkins♥ 4 December 2009 at 4:17 am #

this looks really really good!

4. RecipeGirl 4 December 2009 at 7:57 pm #

Looks gorgeous! I've not yet made a clafouti before. One of these days…

5. Helene 5 December 2009 at 12:58 am #

Beautiful, what a great shot.

6. Bellini Valli 5 December 2009 at 1:03 am #

Julia Child's clafouti seemed to make a big comeback this year. I love it for breakfast.

7. Mrs. B. 5 December 2009 at 4:00 am #

I love cherries! This dessert looks so delicious!

8. pierre 5 December 2009 at 7:16 pm #

Hi Nina ,
    yes the clafoutis is French and even from Limoges a city in the centre of the Country ! you are lucky to have cherries there so enjoy !! Cheers from Paris Pierre

9. elly 7 December 2009 at 3:18 pm #

I'm so jealous you are in cherry season! It's my favorite time but always goes by so fast! The clafoutis looks great.

10. myfrenchkitchen 8 December 2009 at 1:30 am #

Oh, a wonderful cherry clafoutis!! And how lovely and plump those cherries are. You need to come visit so we can indulge in all these scrumptuousness!
    Ronelle

11. Juliana 8 December 2009 at 6:30 am #

Wow, this clafouti looks gorgeous…yummie! Your pictures as great 🙂

12. Junglefrog 8 December 2009 at 10:45 am #

I so love cherry clafoutis! And well, the thing I found out when making clafoutis is that is rises a lot so filling them to the top would definitely have them spill over! I wish it was cherry season here!

13. Pam 8 December 2009 at 11:17 pm #

I love cherries – this recipe looks amazing. Peter's site is fantastic – what a photographer!

14. Peanutts 9 December 2009 at 8:53 am #

Hello, stumbled into your blog :), the gorgeous cherries caught my attention 🙂

15. Peter M 23 December 2009 at 12:01 pm #

Oh Nina, you tease me with your opposite-end growing season and the recipes that come with it. I wish cherries were available now.

Agreed, Peter's photos and food are stunning.

16. Jeanne 12 January 2010 at 6:09 pm #

Oh cherry clafoutis is one of my all-time favourites! I often make it in the summer. In fact, I make clafoutis with pretty much any fruit that I can lay my hands on!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Have a Cherry-on-top kind of a weekend – HomeTimes - December 2, 2016

[…] Of course we immediately think of dessert with cherries and that is perfectly fine, because it is rather hard to resist Cherry Almond Tart with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Or go all French with a decadent Cherry Clafoutis. […]