August 5, 2020

Tasty Tarts 2 – This time with a Greek flavor!

Posted on January 12, 2010 by in baked goods

Tarts are normally made with a single layered pastry base which is then filled with some sweet or savory fillings.The pastry can be shortcrust, puff pastry or even  crumb-based. The term “tarts” even include quiches which is always a favorite in my kitchen.
However, this is what the “clever” definition says, but for me tarts are are the solution to the questions “What can we have for supper?” or “Can’t we invite the Jones’ for tea?” or “Can you bring something to the Bible Study Group?” I love making tarts and some of my favorites are Tomato, Onion, Basil and Mozzarella Tarts, Roasted Vegetable, Roasted Leek Tarts or a Caramelized Onion and Goat’s Cheese tart. Quiches are as popular in this house and my Spinach and Feta quiche is always a favorite as well as my Smoked Snoek Quiche and Broccoli, Feta and Peppadew quiche.
For those of you with a sweet tooth……why not try your hand at these beautiful and petit Fruit Tarts.
The thing with tarts is that it does not have to be so elaborate, for me the ingredients must speak for themselves. Make sure your pastry is a good quality even if you use shop bought and for your fillings, use only the best….remember there are no pastry lids to cover inferior ingredients!
I found a lovely Greek Cheese called Kefalotiri at the deli the other day and I remembered the name from a recipe off Peter’s site...
Kefalotiri is a traditional hard Greek cheese made with only sheep or goat’s milk which gives the cheese its distinctive tangy flavor which mellows as the cheese ages.Because this cheese is so hard, it is ideal for a grated table cheese. Greeks use the cheese like Parmesan, as a grated topping for a many of their dishes.
Another flavor that is to me synonymous with Greek food is mint so with two of my ingredients sorted out, all I needed was the main ingredient and this time of the year it has to be plumb juicy tomatoes. So finally here is what you will need for this tasty tart.

Greek Tomato Tarts with Kefalotiri and fresh Rocket

Ingredients – 4 medium sized tarts.

400gr cocktail tomatoes – if you use different colors, it is even prettier
salt/pepper
a few glugs of olive oil
fresh mint and thyme – chopped
a splash or two of good balsamic vinegar
1 roll of puff pastry. egg wash

100 g Kefalotiri Cheese or feta

fresh rocket to serve

Pre-heat the oven to 200 C. Cut out 4 rounds from your puff pastry and then pinch the edges together between your thumb and forefinger to make an edge. Use your imagination to make a pattern!
Now halve or quarter your tomatoes and mix with all the other ingredients except the egg wash. Place spoonfuls of the mixture on the pastry cases  and brush the pastry with the egg wash. Bake until the pastry is cooked and golden brown. Serve with a simple salad of fresh rocket and a light vinaigrette  and Kefalotiri cheese! If you cannot find Kefalotiri Cheese, feta will be ok to use!

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

Instagram logo

19 Responses to “Tasty Tarts 2 – This time with a Greek flavor!”

1. Sook 12 January 2010 at 8:59 am #

Oh wow! What a beautiful presentation! It looks so scrumptious!

2. Snooky doodle 12 January 2010 at 9:01 am #

i love greek food. these tarts look delicious 🙂

3. MeetaK 12 January 2010 at 10:11 am #

i love tomato tarts – have a few varieties on my blog – and this one with the kefalotiri cheese and rocket is sensational. looking good!

4. ♥peachkins♥ 12 January 2010 at 10:19 am #

I've tried different kinds of tarts but not tomato…

This looks really gorgeous!

5. Jeanne 12 January 2010 at 6:18 pm #

Mmm, that looks gorgeous! I am so missing proper ripe tomatoes at the moment 🙁 Did make a zucchini tart over the weekend that turned out rather well!

6. Pam 12 January 2010 at 7:06 pm #

Your food always looks so beautiful and tasty too! I love these Greek tarts.

7. Juno 12 January 2010 at 9:42 pm #

Stunning photographs and lovely recipes, as always. Honestly, Nina, you always make my mouth water! I love kelafotiri cheese but am frustrated at how difficult it is to find. J x

8. Juliana 12 January 2010 at 10:26 pm #

Nina, your tarts look delicious! What a nice presentation! Great pictures!

9. Ben 13 January 2010 at 5:09 am #

Puff pastry is one of my most favorite things to cook with. From emapanadas to pizzas, the texture is just amazing. I love these tarts. they are making me hungry.

10. Mary 13 January 2010 at 8:19 am #

This looks gorgeous! I can't wait to give these a try. You have a wonderful blog. I'll be back often.

11. My Carolina Kitchen 13 January 2010 at 3:02 pm #

I love tomato tarts and yours are gorgeous. There's almost (but not quite) too gorgeous to eat.

12. Kitchen Butterfly 14 January 2010 at 10:14 pm #

Yummy….looks delish. Love the tomators…..I would be tempted to add some pesto :-0

13. Peter M 14 January 2010 at 11:08 pm #

Nina, aside from your gorgeous, lush tart – I'm delighted to see Kefalotyri (A Greek briny cheese) also get the spotlight!

Thanks for showcasing Kefalotyri cheese.

14. Junglefrog 15 January 2010 at 12:47 am #

This looks soooooo good! It's a shame really that we can only find precut puff pastry. Don't know why that is, but it makes it hard to do something different but these just look wonderful.

15. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 16 January 2010 at 8:53 pm #

Your tart not only looks beautiful but sounds delicious! I've never seen Kefalotiri cheese here but then I've never looked for it either.

16. maninas 19 January 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Hello! Thanks for taking part in the WHB. The round-up is now available at http://maninas.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/round-up-of-whb216/.

17. Hi 14 November 2011 at 10:23 pm #

You need to go back and check the comments on that previous essay.
    ilike skin care reviews

18. alishass 23 January 2012 at 9:11 pm #

This was a definitely pretty great submit. In theory Id like to publish like this also getting time and actual effort to make a great piece of writing but what can I say I procrastinate alot and by no means appear to obtain a little something done.

ceiling lights fixtures

19. Top Models shoes 2012 16 February 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Omg what a funny coincidence. I am eating tarts right now and i can bet that yours are not so tasty as mine.