November 15, 2019

Posted on January 20, 2010 by in Chicken

Grilled Chicken

Grilled chicken breasts can be so tough and stringy at times with the result that I always steer away from cooking it and when I do, I only use it for Thai Curry, Chicken Casseroles or Stuffed chicken recipes. When we grill chicken, I prefer the thighs and drumsticks or even the whole chicken as in my Spicy Spatchcock Chicken..
When were on holiday now in December, we had a lot of grilled chicken in the hotel that we stayed in. Some days in  a burger, sometimes just with a side salad or even in a sandwich at times.

Every time I had the chicken, I was fascinated at how soft and tender the meat was, especially the chicken breast meat. I asked the chef if they gave the chicken some special treatment, maybe marinaded it in lemon juice or some other tenderizing agent but he said not. Anyway, I was not going to push any further for an answer, but decided to come and experiment with it when I get back home.
Once back in my kitchen, I thought about it again and it dawned on me that the chicken in the hotel was always thinly sliced and when I make my Thai Curry, I also slice it thinly, so that had to be the trick….. I will explain the method in a minute, but I have to tell you, the grilled chicken breast I had the other night, was as delicious as the ones I had in the hotel and from now on grilled chicken will be on our menu more often, because it is so healthy, ready in a flash and utterly delicious!! Let’s make it together…

Grilled Chicken
Grilled Chicken Breast

2-4  organic chicken breasts – de-boned and skinless
lemon juice
olive oil

Slice the chicken breast in half, lengthwise so that you have two “fillets”. With the edge of a saucer or a meat mallet gently tenderize and flatten the meat to break up the stringy fibers. Squeeze the lemon juice on the chicken and then rub with some olive oil. Season with the Peppadew Seasoning and set aside. Heat your griddle pan or wait for your coals to burn out. When ready, grill the chicken for about 2-3 minutes on each side on a high heat. Do not overcook, the chicken must remain juicy and soft. These delicious grilled chicken breasts are now ready for enjoying on their own with a wonderful pasta salad that I will share in my next post or you can use it for sandwiches, chicken burgers or even salads. Go on, try it!! Let me know what you think……. use your own spices and rubs and share with us!!!

Tags:

27 Responses to “Grilled Chicken – I finally found the way to Soft, Juicy Grilled Chicken breasts.”

1. Tracy 20 January 2010 at 12:49 pm #

Hey Nina, I also started using chicken more over the holidays. What I do with mine is use either strips or cubes of chicken, and slowly fry them in butter over a medium heat. For part of the time I put the lid on to keep the heat in. For the last minute or so I crank up the heat just to brown the outsides a little. The chicken ends up so soft, delicious. I have been using it in a brocoli pasta dish tha we have been having once a week.

2. Anonymous 20 January 2010 at 1:30 pm #

How clever, Nina!! PPD

3. Anonymous 20 January 2010 at 1:31 pm #

How clever, Nina!! PPD

4. Anonymous 20 January 2010 at 1:31 pm #

How clever, Nina!! PPD

5. Bellini Valli 20 January 2010 at 3:30 pm #

This makes perfect sense Nina!!!!

6. Jeanne 20 January 2010 at 3:34 pm #

Yup, that's pretty much how we do them around here at Chez Cooksister 🙂 Nothing worse than a stringy dry chicken breast! These look divine.

7. ♥peachkins♥ 20 January 2010 at 5:27 pm #

this would also be great on top of caesar salad…

8. Koek! 20 January 2010 at 5:31 pm #

What fantastic advice, thanks.

9. Pam 20 January 2010 at 7:25 pm #

Nothing worse than dry chicken – great post Nina and another excellent photo.

10. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 20 January 2010 at 7:27 pm #

What a fantastic discovery! 🙂

11. Helene 20 January 2010 at 7:54 pm #

If I do curry and use chicken thighs they are more tender than the breast. This chicken looks really yummy.

12. Lorette 20 January 2010 at 9:30 pm #

Hi Nina, We have chicken breasts at least twice a week for supper in all sorts of ways – As Tracy we used to have a chicken and broccoli pasta once a week and my family loves it. This looks very nice.

13. Juno 20 January 2010 at 9:33 pm #

Oh, what a good idea Nina. I always soak chicken breasts in plain yoghurt for an hour or so, to tenderise them, but I will try this method when I don't have an hour to waste! Thanks for this useful post.

14. My Carolina Kitchen 20 January 2010 at 10:33 pm #

I bet the fresh lemon juice makes all the difference in the world in terms of freshness and flavor in this dish.

15. Kathleen 21 January 2010 at 1:57 am #

Hello! Great post. I'll follow this next time I make grilled chicken! Thanks!

16. Sook 21 January 2010 at 3:34 am #

Ooh this recipe looks so delicious!

17. Jan 21 January 2010 at 9:07 am #

Looks and sounds delicious! Love the picture.

18. Marisa 21 January 2010 at 9:37 am #

Your grilled chicken looks deliciously tender! The key is definitely not to overcook them. Most of us tend to err on the side of caution when cooking chicken, which inevitably results in dry stringy chicken. Bleurghgh.

The method that I use is very similar to yours, but I use the chicken breasts whole (no cutting in half), then rub them with some spices (I like a mix of cumin, paprika, coriander and cinnamon), and fry in a little bit of oil in a non-stick pan for about 8 – 10 minutes. The chicken will be browned on the outside, but should still feel plump to the touch. If you're unsure, you can make a cut in one of the breasts to ensure it is cooked through, but later on you'll be able to feel when it's done without cutting it open. To further lock in the juices, I only salt my chicken breasts after they've been sealed (browned) on all sides. I find that if I salt it earlier, it tends to draw moisture out, ending in a dryer breast.

Three cheers for succulent chicken breasts!

19. Susan @ SGCC 21 January 2010 at 3:48 pm #

I'm not a fan of chicken breast either, but yours looks so good that I think I'll have to try it!

20. Junglefrog 21 January 2010 at 8:43 pm #

I think that chickenbreast must be on my all time favorite list of meats! I use it a lot although not often whole, more like you , mostly cut into pieces.

21. Peter M 22 January 2010 at 12:32 pm #

Nina, I sometimes pound them out to thin paillards or, add some yougurt to regular chicken breasts…great tenderizer.

22. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 22 January 2010 at 5:51 pm #

There's nothing like tender chicken breasts cooked perfectly! Yours look wonderful. Good tips!

23. Anonymous 15 August 2011 at 4:21 pm #

I am certainly not the 999,999th visitor!!! Great recipe though!

24. colourfulfoodie 21 September 2011 at 9:05 pm #

This recipe finally helped me see that chicken breasts can be tender and moist! I followed the instructions exactly but used a spanish garlic rub and it tasted fantastic! I served it with a simple tarragon sauce and everyone loved it!

25. Anonymous 1 November 2011 at 12:15 pm #

What kind of yogurt do you use for the chicken?

26. Anonymous 1 November 2011 at 12:16 pm #

oh plain yoghurt. Thank you! By the way, will it affect the taste of the chicken if i use yoghurt?

27. Jane 14 April 2012 at 8:58 pm #

Please, I need some simple non fry recipes. Have just discoveredmy cholestrol levels are too high.
    Thanks