April 2, 2020

Pound Cake with Marachino Cherries

Posted on February 11, 2010 by in baked goods

Pound Cake is traditionally made with a pound of each of the 4 ingredients, eggs, butter, sugar and flour. As long as you keep the ratio of 1:1:1:1 you can adapt the quantities to suite the size of your pan. Flavorings and leavening agents such as baking powder or baking soda is added and in Britain a fruit cake is sometimes called a pound cake.
Some prefer oil to butter which will have a more moist cake as a result. Others again use yogurt or cream cheese in stead of milk which will have a more tangy result.

Any way……after 13 years of marriage, I only found out some time last week that my hubs loves pound cake and in particular cherry pound cake. How could I not know?  I have never seen him eat some, never bought it, baked it or even talked about it. Not that your average couple would have a discussion over pound cake now, would you?
The sad part is, that after quite a scare and a visit to the cardiologist, my hubs was told to drastically reduce his sugar intake. I am still trying to figure out if this is a curse of an opportunity to learn new sugar-free recipes, but until I have made up my mind, it is back to the drawing board in the kitchen….
I am not one for breaking traditions so if the recipes says a pound cake is made with equal parts sugar, eggs, butter and flour and mine is not then I suppose this is not an authentic pound cake. I wanted to reduce the sugar drastically and also the amount of butter in my pound cake and that kind of messed with tradition, but drastic times call for drastic measures and so may I present you with my low-sugar and low-fat Pound Cake with Marachino cherries!

Pound Cake With Marachino Cherries

230gr softened butter – (about half of what it should be)
450gr self-raising flour
120gr sugar – I used half Canderel (a sugar-replacement) and half regular sugar
4 eggs
100ml low-fat milk
100g glazed cherries – some with and some without stalks
1/2 tsp vanilla paste

Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugars and mix. Beat together the eggs and the milk and add the vanilla paste. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix. Add the stalkless cherries and mix through. Spoon the dough into a loaf tin and  arrange the cherries with the stalks on top of the cake, squeezing them slightly into the batter. Bake for 45 minutes at 180C until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean. Turn out on a wire rack and cool.
Alternatively you can make individual cakes using cup cake holders or muffin pans, just remember to adjust the cooking time.

The verdict:When the cake came out the oven, it was warm, moist and delicious. After it has cooled down, the cake is somewhat dry. It still tastes delicious and with a cup of coffee, hubby was a happy chappy. Although it is not an entirely sugar-free or fat-free recipe, I believe it is step in the right direction…..

If you do not have a sugar or fat issue, please try some of my favorite cake recipes…

Tags:

16 Responses to “Pound Cake with Marachino Cherries”

1. ♥peachkins♥ 12 February 2010 at 2:12 am #

I love maraschino cherries. your cake looks like it will be good with vanilla ice cream on the side…

2. Peter M 12 February 2010 at 4:00 am #

Other than popping these cherries in my mouth at a bar, I never thought to incorporate them in a dessert, love it!

3. dining room table 12 February 2010 at 11:36 am #

I love maraschino cherries! The cake looks so yummy!

4. Marisa 12 February 2010 at 12:33 pm #

I love maraschino cherries but don't think I've ever used them in baking/cooking. What a great way to get even more out of them!

5. Bellini Valli 12 February 2010 at 4:27 pm #

Yes this is definitely a step in the right direction Nina and delicious to boot:D

6. Juliana 12 February 2010 at 5:33 pm #

Pound cake…haven't had this for a while and yours look so yummie with cherries…nicely decorated 🙂 Love the way that you presented. Nice pictures!

7. Cherine 12 February 2010 at 9:37 pm #

Love your pound cake. Great photos 🙂

8. myfrenchkitchen 14 February 2010 at 12:11 pm #

Mmm, delicious, biggest problem for me would be to keep the cherries for the cake and not gulp them down! But I think even without the cherries, the cake can be wonderful…with fresh strawberries – our season starts soon!
    Ronelle

9. tobias cooks! 14 February 2010 at 9:35 pm #

Love that cake. looks great with the cherries.

10. pierre 15 February 2010 at 11:50 am #

I love pound cakes and with the chery this is just scrumptious !! Cheers from Pierre de Paris

11. Rose&Thorn 15 February 2010 at 12:55 pm #

Pound for Pound that cake is a winner!
    I have found that Xylitol is a great place to start for sugar replacement (a healthy alternative to Canderel, as Aspartame is not healthy). I have also had great results with the Hulletts Sugarlite (but it is very expensive – naturally).
    I am seeing that dried cake served with warm custard – now there is a childhood favourite I miss.

12. elly 15 February 2010 at 3:25 pm #

Delicious looking pound cake! I really adore marachino cherries. Can your husband have unrefined sugars? If so, I wonder if some honey or maple syrup would be a good swap out for some of the sugar.

13. Shauna from Piece of Cake 22 February 2010 at 6:42 am #

I love the quirky look of the stems in the cake. How fun!

14. Jeanne @ CookSister! 2 March 2010 at 3:24 pm #

Mmmm, I have always loved maraschino cherries – *love* this cake! it's too gorgeous!

15. Large Wall Mirrors Gal 7 October 2010 at 10:07 pm #

Sweet and delicious looking pound cake. That small cherries are making so sweet your pound cake. I like it lot. Better to eat this pound cake with hot tea. Yummmmm. 🙂

16. Small Dining Tables Gal 13 November 2010 at 8:01 am #

Wow its seems Delicious cake I love those I recommend all to join in.