February 21, 2019

Tart Recipe – Apple and Almond Frangipane Tart

Posted on February 23, 2010 by in baked goods

A tart recipe that I have always been tempted to try is a Frangipane Tart. I believe it is the name that I  am fascinated with…it had to be fragrant and delicious, because I have a Frangipane Tree in my garden that has an absolutely glorious fragrance….

Although the tart and the tree has got nothing to do with each other they have one thing in common though and that is that both fill my house with the most amazing aroma…..

This tart recipe is far easier to make than you may think. A frangipane is basically almond cream that is baked until if forms a soft, warm nutty cushion for the fruit, which in my case happened to be apples.
Almonds are traditionally used in a frangipane tart, but you can experiment with hazelnuts, cashew nuts..even pistachios.
When choosing your fruit, make sure it is fruit that will hold its shape when cooked, but try plums, nectarines, apples, pears, apricots and even cherries can work well in this tart recipe.

I wanted to make something special to showcase my wonderful prize that I won in the Natreen Competition last week. My new cake stand, made by the famous and talented  Carol Boyes arrived on Friday and all I said while opening the packaging(which in itself is a work of art)  was “WOW!”.  The prize consists of a cake stand, a cake lifter and 6 cake forks. To think I won that for making an easy Brunch Bagel….

Apple and Almond Frangipane Tart
adapted from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking: From My Home to Yours

Pâte Sablée

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp salt
9 tbsp butter, very cold, cut into small cubes
1 egg yolk

Put the flour, icing sugar, and salt in a food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Add the cubes of  butter and pulse until the butter is cut into very small pieces. Add the egg yolk and  pulse until the dough starts to turn from dry to clumpy. Do not overworked  the pastry – just keep checking after every pulse and when the dough pieces looks like they will stick when you press them together, stop.
Butter a 9inch/23cm tart tin with loose bottom. Turn the dough out into the tin and press into the bottom and up the sides with your fingers. You will have some dough left. Use the  extra for patching the pastry case after you’ve bake it. Again, work lightly, do not press to hard, just cover the tart tin.
Freeze the tart shell for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
To pre-bake the tart shell, take a piece of foil and butter the shiny side, press the buttered side  to the shell. You do not need beans or rice to “blind bake”. Place the pastry case on a baking sheet and bake for  25 minutes 9or until the shell is slightly colored.Cool down.

Frangipane

6 tbsp butter,  room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup ground almonds
2 tsp flour
1 tsp cornstarch
1 large egg plus 1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract

Beat the butter and sugar in the food processor until smooth. Add the ground almonds and mix together. Add the flour and cornstarch, and then the egg and egg white. Beat the the mixture until it is very smooth. Add the  vanilla.  Preheat the oven to 350 F/180C. Spread the frangipane evenly into the cooled tart shell. place your fruit of choice in a pretty pattern and bake on a baking sheet  for about 45-50 minutes, until the frangipane is puffed, golden brown, and firm to the touch. Cool the tart on a wire rack.
If you are not going to bake the tart immediately, you can store the fragipane in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. Bring to room temperature so ensure even spreading when you are ready to bake this easy tart recipe.

Other tart recipes that you might enjoy!

Apple Tarte Tatin

Tags:

22 Responses to “Tart Recipe – Apple and Almond Frangipane Tart”

1. MeetaK 23 February 2010 at 11:24 am #

oh what a lovely looking tart nina. just love those mini apples! also liking the new look here!

2. Marisa 23 February 2010 at 12:05 pm #

Oh my that looks good – I especially like the last photo. My hubby is going to LOVE this – he's an absolute sucker for almond paste in the form of marzipan.

Loving the new site – it looks so fresh & clean! One tiny suggestion though – you might want to increase the post title font to make it stand out more – it tends to blend in a bit at the moment. Otherwise – super well done on the new look. 🙂

3. Juno 23 February 2010 at 1:07 pm #

What a gorgeous recipe and photograph Nina. I also love the combination of apple and frangipane, and your pie looks so delicious with the baby apples. Congratulations also on your new blog design: it's fabulous.

4. LuLuBug 23 February 2010 at 2:13 pm #

How lovely!! I bake for a home industry, but methinks you better come teach me!!!!

5. Anonymous 23 February 2010 at 2:25 pm #

I looooove this, Nins…it looks classy!!….I am glad that you are making the photos bigger, because they are a bit small!!

Beautiful tart and Carrol Boyes goodies…enjoy! PPD

6. My Carolina Kitchen 23 February 2010 at 2:50 pm #

What a gorgeous tart and I love the lifter with its pretty handle.

I love the look of your new site too. Very impressive. I agree with Marisa above that you might want to make the title of the posts larger so they stand out. I sort of miss the big photos that you used to have. You are an incredible and talented photographer and your food just jumps off of the page. Great job on the new site.

7. Bellini Valli 23 February 2010 at 3:04 pm #

Woah, I thought I was in the wrong place for a second or too. Great new look Nina, very professional. I can say the same for the pie too.

8. Pam 23 February 2010 at 3:49 pm #

This looks delicious! A great new recipe to try!

9. ♥peachkins♥ 23 February 2010 at 5:15 pm #

First of all, I love the new Lay-out!!!

and second… this is a stunning tart!

10. Fearless Kitchen 23 February 2010 at 6:44 pm #

This is so pretty! I bet the aroma while cooking was divine.

11. Tuty @ ScentofSpice 23 February 2010 at 7:01 pm #

Hi Nina,
    I haven't dropped by for a while… I really like the new & fresh look 🙂

Frangipane trees are also plentiful in Indonesia and yes, the flowers are used for hair accessories (especially the Balinese dancers) and ritual in the Hindu's temples too.

Your tart looks so yummy and I know exactly who will enjoy this too.

12. Ben 23 February 2010 at 9:11 pm #

Hehe, that's a lovely name! When I read the title I was like… OK I've never heard of frangipane before, but it's just the name and I learned something new today! The tart does look amazing. All those ingredients are calling my name and telling me to break my diet :-p

13. Ben 23 February 2010 at 9:19 pm #

Oh and I do love the new layout, too. It looks so professional and so do the pictures 🙂

14. Jaime 23 February 2010 at 9:28 pm #

so pretty! i love tarts!

15. Juliana 23 February 2010 at 11:50 pm #

Nina, what a lovely tart, I love frangipane, still have to try to make it. Nice nice pictures!

16. Junglefrog 24 February 2010 at 9:32 am #

Wow for the new look and wow for this frangipane tart… 🙂 Both look equally impressive. And I am slightly jealous for you having a frangipane tree in your garden. I love frangipane and I think I first saw those flowers in Sri Lanka but they are not to be found in cold Holland but still that smell is so amazing!

17. Rose&Thorn 24 February 2010 at 12:14 pm #

Oh WOW that is a great gift – well done.
    This tart is on my list…just need to invite a few friends around to share it with – home alone with Keith is not enough for something this special.

18. Mary 24 February 2010 at 8:36 pm #

Your new site is lovely and the tart sounds absolutely wonderful. Your photography is great. Have a lovely day…Mary

19. ARUNA 26 February 2010 at 10:17 pm #

That's a lovely inviting tart!!!

20. Peter M 27 February 2010 at 4:52 am #

I love these little apples and the tart is striking indeed!

21. Jeane@ CookSister 2 March 2010 at 3:34 pm #

hahaha – when I first heard of frangipane I also thought "huh? As in the flowering tree??" – knw better now! I'd love to try this gorgeous tart with apricots…

22. Killdaggy 28 October 2010 at 10:58 am #

Pacquiao vs Margarito

Watch out for the big event in the world of boxing!this would be the nice fight!don't miss it!