October 15, 2018

Quiches-Tomato, Spinach and Ricotta is a perfect combination!

Posted on February 25, 2010 by in baked goods

Quiches-Tomato, Spinach and Ricotta

Quiches-Tomato of all kinds and flavors go down very well in my household. I love making quiches, so when I decide “ok, today is quiche day”, it normally means that friends and family can be sure of a warm “surprise” around dinner time. My arrival with a quiche on their doorstep is normally preceded by a phone call that says “Don’t make supper!”
Quiches-Tomato can be as simple as a few fillings baked in a savory custard or you can play around with different crusts or different cheeses for the filling. Although quiches are typically found in the French cuisine, it was the Germans who invented this popular delicacy. the word “quiche” derives from the German word “Kuchen”.

The most popular quiche of all is of course the Quiche Lorraine, which is a pastry case filled with an egg custard and some bacon.  Today, one can find many varieties of quiche, from the classic quiche Lorraine, to ones with broccoli, mushrooms, ham and/or seafood. Quiches-Tomato, can be served hot or cold and as an entrée, for lunch, breakfast or an evening snack.

For my Quiches-Tomato, I wanted something more decadent, richer and firmer…..almost like a savory cheesecake. If you take the amount of cheese I used into consideration my  ‘quiche most probably is more of a cheesecake than a quiche….
Let’s make it together!

Quiches Tomato, Spinach and Ricotta
Tomato, Spinach and Ricotta Quiche

Pastry
375ml cake flour
3ml salt
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp curry powder
120ml cold butter, cubed
90 ml iced water

Place the cake flour, spices and salt in a food processor and add the butter.
Using the pulse action, process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Add the water and process until the pastry just begins to bind.
Turn out onto a floured surface and press together lightly.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
Remove from the refrigerator and leave to rest at room temperature for a while before rolling out carefully. (Don’t stretch the pastry or roll over the edge of the pastry with the rolling pin.)
Line a loose-bottomed quiche pan or pie dish with the pastry.
Chill once more until very cold before baking the crust (this prevents shrinking during baking).
Trim the sides of the chilled pastry with a knife and prick the base with a fork.
Makes enough pastry to line a 30 cm quiche pan.

Blind bake the pastry for about 10-15 minutes on 180C. While baking, make your filling.

Filling

5 eggs
300gr fresh ricotta cheese
salt/pepper
20ml tomato pesto
100gr  young spinach leaves – cut in strips
4 slices of Black Forest Ham – sliced
100gr baby tomatoes – halved
125ml freshly grated parmesan cheese
fresh watercress for serving.

When pastry case has cooled slightly, spread the pesto over the base. Beat the eggs and cheeses together  and season with salt and pepper. Add the spinach, ham and tomatoes and mix into the cheese mixture. Pour into the base and bake for 30-35 minutes and serve with fresh watercress. Delicious!!!

Fancy another quiche recipe?

Blue Cheese Quiche

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “Quiches-Tomato, Spinach and Ricotta is a perfect combination!”

1. mycookinghut 25 February 2010 at 9:11 pm #

Love quiches!!
    By the way, love the new blog layout!!! Keep on bloggin!

2. Anonymous 25 February 2010 at 9:29 pm #

It looks wonderful, Nins…absolutely wonderfullllll! PPD

3. Adele 26 February 2010 at 12:08 am #

Is the saying "real men eat quiche" only an Aussie one? We have a bakery down the street which provides my husband with a quiche fix many days, and he always gives this excuse. I've threatened to make some and freeze them. Maybe one day when I'm a grownup.

4. Bellini Valli 26 February 2010 at 12:39 am #

Ricotta works so well here Nina. Love the texture it brings to quiche.

5. Maria 26 February 2010 at 12:59 am #

I adore quiches … so versatile! And this combination sounds amazing. Lovely quiche!

6. Marisa 26 February 2010 at 3:51 pm #

That looks like a very satisfying and delicious meal.

7. Potret Kasih 27 February 2010 at 4:29 am #

…looks delicious….. i always visit here to try your recipes..

8. Peter M 27 February 2010 at 4:56 am #

I've always like quiches, despite it's departure/arrival due to trends. Easy recipes that are pragmatic and usually turn out never go out of style.

9. Sibongile 27 February 2010 at 1:08 pm #

Love the new blog!!
    The quiche looks divine, will be making it in a few minutes time and hope for the best. Thanks Nina!!

10. Junglefrog 27 February 2010 at 7:10 pm #

I am a big fan of quiches as well! They are so easy to make and yet taste so very wonderful! And the variations you can make are endless! Love this one too!

11. pierre 28 February 2010 at 8:10 pm #

your quiche looks great and ricotta brings all the moist !! great job !! Cheers Pierre from Paris France

12. Lori Lynn 28 February 2010 at 9:56 pm #

I am a fan too! Your ingredients sound awesome together.

I have to apologize for not coming by lately, I was kinda busy, and updating my blog too. Your new style is fabulous Nina! Congratulations on the new look. I can't wait to go explore more of your posts.
    Lori Lynn

13. Jamie 1 March 2010 at 2:49 am #

Wow, this is really beautiful. I have never made a quiche, but may have to now!

14. Sook 1 March 2010 at 8:18 am #

Oh what a yummy recipe! Looks beautiful!

15. elly 2 March 2010 at 5:28 am #

What a beautiful quiche! So interesting with the curry in the crust, too.

16. Rose&Thorn 2 March 2010 at 10:20 am #

Just perfect for this heat wave – simple light and satisfying. Beautiful as always.

17. Rose&Thorn 2 March 2010 at 10:20 am #

18. Jeanne @ CookSister! 2 March 2010 at 3:38 pm #

Lovely quiche! It's also the gift that keeps on giving as the leftovers are just as good cold the next day! Nothing wrong with cheesecake masquerading as quiche if you ask me… 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ricotta - Make your own! - My Easy Cooking - October 1, 2014

[…] it is super-delicious in these mini raspberry cheese cakes, makes the most amazingly puffed up quiches and is just perfect to stuff pork chops or chicken breasts to keep them moist and packed with […]