October 21, 2019

South African Food Bloggers Conference 2010

Posted on March 22, 2010 by in south african food bloggers conference

When doors  for the first South African Bloggers Conference opened at the Cook’s Playground here in Cape Town, history was made and I believe this dream of my good friend and fellow blogger, Browniegirl will now become an annual event. The anticipation and excitement was almost tangible as the bloggers arrived in heaps to share in this glorious day.

I met Jeanne, the Cooksister, for the first time in real life even though we both come from Port Elizabeth and we have become good friends online.
 Jeanne, Jan Tripepe, Nina, Cathy from The Nut Vendor

It was wonderful to see old friends, new friends and even meet people who normally have an avatar as an identity. Foodies are such wonderful people, the atmosphere was amazing.The venue was absolutely perfect. I mean, for foodies to have a conference at another foodie’s cooking school, it just doesn’t get any better than that.Jenny, the Giggling Gourmet was a perfect host, seeing to everyone’s needs with drinks and a joke or two when a break was needed. Thank you Jenny. Our first speaker of the day was Jeanne Horak-Druiff or better known to us as the Cooksister.

I have learned that there is a  difference between a foodie who loves to write or a writer who loves to cook. I have also learned that if my strength is cooking , it is ok and that I should embrace that and make it work for me on my blog.  Our second speaker of the day was Juno from Scrumptious South Africa.Juno’s topic was ‘Effective Recipe Writing & Editorial Techniques and to me all the advice was invaluable and  hopefully my writing skills will improve from now on. I will definitely read every blog post over and over again before I push that publish button. I have also learned that it is up to me to record recipes in such a clear and attractive way that it will still be available for generations to come. By now it was time for a break and some lucky draws. We hadLe Creusetpots up for crabs,Cookbooks form the Caviar Group, Hair make-overs from the Paladium, chocolates from Soulicious .
Throughout the day we treated on fruit and nuts form the Nutvendor as well as Orangina fruit Juice.
Next in line was me to talk about “Getting to know your camera”.

Nina studying her notes!

At first I thought it was too obvious, I mean who doesn’t know their camera? So many people came to me afterwards with questions that I have to assume that it was not as obvious as I thought. I have learned though that cooking comes to me far more naturally than public speaking, but it is necessary sometimes that we step out of our comfort zone. After all this information, we needed something substantial to nourish our minds and tummies and trust me, we were nourished. First up we had platters and platters of the most divine sushi.

It was made right there in front of our very own eyes, so it does not get any fresher that that. Little did we know of the spread that was coming.

Jenny, the Giggling Gourmet pulled out all the stops with a huge oven roasted salmon, oven-roasted chicken, salads to die for and heavenly quiches to mention but a few. It was impossible to choose and even if you took just a little piece of everything, you walked away with a plate piled with food.

I was ready for my bed by now but still the end was not in sight. After lunch Jeanne and I had two more slots each and Sam from Food24 spoke about social networking. Jeanne covered “How to be a better Blogger” and the ‘The Legalities & Ethics of Blogging and I spoke about “Foodstyling and “Monetizing your site.” I am not going into all the detail now, but I trust that everybody left the conference a little more enlightened and a lot more inspired. Oops, I forgot to mention dessert which consisted of numerous tarte tatins and cheesecake as well as a cheese platter, courtesy Simonsberg. By now, I was bursting, not only from food, but bursting with inspiration to make my blog even better and enjoyable for you my loyal readers.

Every delegate left the conference with a bumper-packed goodiebag, filled with the most amazing gifts from our generous sponsors.

To everybody who made this conference a success, thank you! I look forward to 2011.
Brownieboy, little brownie and Browniegirl!
Photos of this event can be seen here!

Tags: , ,

14 Responses to “South African Food Bloggers Conference 2010”

1. Bellini Valli 22 March 2010 at 5:34 pm #

It really is an exciting experience to attend these events and meet the people we visit every day through their writing, photography and great recipes. Well done one and all.

2. Juno 23 March 2010 at 12:51 am #

Nina, my friend, this is a perfect post (not a single typo!) and I so enjoyed reading your excellent summing-up of a very enjoyable day. It was a pleasure to meet you in person, at last, and to hear you speak so knowledgeably about photography. I know you have decided that you are a 'cook who writes', but after reading this post, I think you can also call yourself a 'writer who cooks'. x

3. Proud Italian Cook 23 March 2010 at 5:15 am #

Sounds like interesting topics Nina, wish I could have heard you and the others in person. Glad you had a wonderful time!

4. Marisa 23 March 2010 at 9:17 am #

Great summary of the day! Glad that someone recorded it in so much detail, I will definitely look back on this when I want to re-capture the excitement of Sunday.

Your talks were FANTASTIC Nina, and very much needed. I am clueless about most camera settings and feel embarrassed to say that I did not even know my camera had a manual mode! All those settings & numbers were gibberish to me before you cleared it up – thank you SO much.

Talking about clearing things up – where's your e-book with the notes? 🙂 You'll have a lot of takers for that!

5. MeetaK 23 March 2010 at 9:38 am #

great read and so nice to see that the conference went so well. heard a lot about it from jeanne (who looks spiffy in her new hair style).

6. Nina Timm 23 March 2010 at 9:56 am #

Indeed, it was so wonderful and I believe this is just the beginning!!

Juno – Do you know how nervous I was before I pushed that button, I just saw your face "glaring" at me….This comment coming from you meas a lot to me, thank you!

proud italian cook – I must admit, I would have preferred to cook for all those people rather than addressing them all.

Marisa – Aaah, the lucky winner of that beautiful cake. I wish I had more time to just chat, my my nerves were totally shot. I appreciate your comment and will have the notes available asap!!

meetak – yes, it all went well and yes Jeanne is a darling!!

7. Pam 23 March 2010 at 6:18 pm #

It looks and sounds like such a great time.

8. Juliana 23 March 2010 at 7:26 pm #

Oh Nina, it seems that you all had a great time…what a wonderful event 🙂

9. Cynthia 24 March 2010 at 3:44 am #

Sounds like an extremely exciting and successful event. Congratulations to all!

10. glamah16 24 March 2010 at 4:10 am #

Great point about foodies who love to write or cook more. That explains a lot now that I think of it What a great gathering! I'm so happy you meat Jeanne. Shes amazing. And the food there looked amazing.

11. Lana 5 April 2010 at 6:16 pm #

Nina, thanks so much for your comment at WIU… how could I not be enthusiastic, it was such a wonderful event!!

Thanks for everything you put into the conference. I appreciated how you shared your experience with so much warmth.

Your summary of the day is spot on. Is it okay if I refer people across from my site to read your article?

Keep well!
    Lana

PS. I can still picture Jenny describing one of your photos, 'Oooooooooh' she said, 'I could just LICK the cinnamin off the page…'

12. Jeanne @ CookSister! 14 April 2010 at 4:30 pm #

What a fantastic record of the day – you are so right that there was a tangible excitement in the air – while you were studying your notes I was rehearsing in the office and I could hear people arriving going "ooh, this is so exciting"! Your talks were excellent – really good tips and pointers for people starting out and the more experienced. But the best was finally meeting you in person – they say PE people are the best and they are right 🙂

13. Anonymous 5 September 2010 at 11:27 am #

It is very interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks the author for it. I like such themes and anything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Joan Benedict

14. Anonymous 11 November 2010 at 8:54 pm #

Pretty nice blog you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.
    Don't you think design should be changed from time to time?

Bella Smith