July 23, 2019

Moroccan Barley and Roasted Vegetable Salad

Posted on March 29, 2010 by in salads

ShareBarley is one of my favorite grains to cook. It is not only one of the healthiest grains, but I love that it gives an immediate warmth and comfort factor to a recipe. The nutty, earthy taste pairs so well with meat, fish, chicken and even vegetables as I have used this this case.
If I have to write all about the health benefits of barley I will have to devote an entire post about that and let us not forget, this is a recipe blog, not a health blog. However it is necessary that we look at this versatile grain a little closer.
Barley is a cereal grain derived from the annual grass Hordeam vulgare. It has many uses, but here in South Africa it is mainly used for the making of beer, other distilled beverages and smaller quantities are used for animal and human consumption. The barley malting industry is very important in South Africa’s economy. It  plays a crucial role in the crop rotation systems used by farmers. Barley is grown on many farms predominantly in the South Western Cape, with its Mediterranean climate.
Barley’s appearance is similar to that of wheat although it is slightly lighter in color. Barley is a very good source of fiber and selenium, and a good source of phosphorus, copper and manganese.As far as health benefits go, here is a list of health issues that can be addressed by just adding this nutritious and delicious grain to your diet regularly.

• -improve regularity
  • -lower cholesterol
  • -provides numerous protective actions against cardiovascular risk factors
  • -reduces high blood pressure
  • -reduces risk of Type 2 diabetes
  • -reduces risk of breast cancer
  • -asthma, gallstones etc.

So, as you can see, adding a handful of barley to your pot of soup of stew, not only adds to the taste factor of your recipe, but it is also extremely good for you.
When I saw this recipe for  a Vegetable and Barley dish on my blogging friend over atMint Tea & Tagine, I knew it was something that I had to try and make. I tweaked a bit and chopped and changed the vegetables  to what I had available and also served mine as a “salad” with a delicious piece of grilled chicken.
Let’s cook!

Moroccan Barley and Vegetable Salad

1 packet of barley – cooked to packet instructions

I roasted the following vegetables

courgettes – sliced
eggplant – cut into thin strips
1 large red onion  – sliced
butternut – cut into blocks
red, green and yellow peppers – cut into chunks
mush rooms – halved
olive oil

Sprinkle with  the oil and then with the following spices:
1/2 tsp of ground pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, fine ginger and dried thyme and oregano. Roast in a moderate oven until cooked.

Mix with the cooked barley and add some more olive oil, a splash of  Verlaque Fruit Infused Balsamic Reduction, a squeeze of lemon juice and some chopped fresh coriander.

Serve this as a wholesome vegetarian meal or as a side dish to grilled fish, chicken or lamb!

Other salads that can be served as a main meal:

Tags: , , ,

15 Responses to “Moroccan Barley and Roasted Vegetable Salad”

1. Bellini Valli 29 March 2010 at 10:53 am #

Barley really is so good for us Nina, thanks for the heads up and a tasty recipe!!

2. Rose&Thorn 29 March 2010 at 11:05 am #

I love barley – also used it in my Saturday soup. You can give me this meal any day – I love rustic down to earth food. Food you can feel in tummy!

3. Adele @ WillworkforBiltong 29 March 2010 at 12:49 pm #

I always have some barley in the pantry, but usually only use it with lamb in a stew. Time for something new, obviously! Thanks for all the info, I never realised barley is this good for you.

4. Marisa 29 March 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Never used barley – I need to get cooking, because it looks great!

5. MeetaK 29 March 2010 at 1:46 pm #

oh yum! i make a salad very similar to this. i just love barley and could enjoy it in any form really!

6. ♥peachkins♥ 29 March 2010 at 4:17 pm #

This salad looks really tasty!

7. Pam 29 March 2010 at 5:27 pm #

Healthy and delicious. Barley never looked so good.

8. Fearless Kitchen 29 March 2010 at 5:45 pm #

This looks great! I love barley – I've been substituting barley for rice in a lot of dishes lately.

9. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 29 March 2010 at 11:06 pm #

I agree, I love barley too, Nina. It is even good as a breakfast cereal with maple syrup drizzled on top…so versatile.

10. Juno 30 March 2010 at 9:57 am #

Agree, Nina, I think barley is such an underused staple. This looks like perfect autumn food: so nourishing and comforting! x

11. My Carolina Kitchen 30 March 2010 at 11:41 pm #

Barley is so good for us. Gorgeous photo as always. I need to remember to incorporate it into my meal planning.

12. Peter M 31 March 2010 at 11:09 am #

Barley is delicious and healthy for you, I should really cook with it more. This is very colourful, almost mimicking the Fall colours.

13. Lori Lynn 4 April 2010 at 6:39 pm #

I like barley too. I'll give this salad a try!
    LL

14. Jeanne 23 April 2010 at 2:50 pm #

I don't cook with barley nearly often enough… This looks wonderful – roasted Moroccan veg are such an easy treat. I don't think I go any Verlanque products in my goodie bag – damn!

15. Elizabeth Dockel 5 November 2013 at 1:12 pm #

I too love barley! My mum used to make a lovely soup wth beefshin, veggies and barley. Love your blog and all the recipes