November 13, 2019

A Lemon Tart inspired by FBC 2010

Posted on June 14, 2010 by in baked goods, easy cookling

Lemon Tart and FBC 2010! How on earth do I bring these two things together? This becomes even more of a puzzle if you take into consideration that I did not even attend the FBC 2010. Well, let me tell you I may not have been there in person, but I got to read all about this event  all over the internet and it just reminded me of our own South African Food Bloggers Conference…….
What caught my attention reading all these posts with all these amazing photos, was that delicious  lemon tart…..
Those of you who visit my blog on a regular basis, will know that I LOVE lemons. I will sneak lemon juice and zest into just about any recipe. If I taste something for seasoning and it tastes “flat”, lemon is the first thing I add and let me tell you, it almost always does the trick! So when I spotted that delicious lemon tart that was served at the FBC2010, I knew I had to make it and soon!! When looking for a dessert, cake or tart recipe, James Martin is always my first port of call. I just LOVE the man! Let me tell you, his Lemon Tart Recipe did not disappoint me one bit!

Lemon Tart – Adapted from James Martin’s recipe

For the crust

250gr butter – softened
125gr icing/confectioner sugar
375gr self raising flour

Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
Cream the butter and sugar until is is light in color and fluffy. Add the flour and mix with your hands until the dough comes together. Shape into a flat round disc, cover with cling film and let it rest for a couple of hours. When ready to start, roll out the pastry on a floured surface until you have a big enough piece to line a 23cm/9in loose-bottom tart ring. Butter the flan ring with butter, making sure you have covered every nook and cranny!!. Line the tart ring with the pastry. Work gently, do not stretch the pastry.Allow the pastry to overhang the edges of the ring slightly. Line with a circle of greaseproof paper and fill with rice or baking beans.
Transfer to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the beans and greaseproof paper, then return to the oven for five minutes, or until the tart case is lightly browned.

For the filling

8 free range eggs
200 gr caster sugar
500 ml double cream
5 lemons – juice and zest

Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk to break up the yolks. Add the sugar and mix well. Add the cream and the lemon juice and stir. Pour the mixture through a sieve, then add the lemon zest and set aside.
Reduce oven temperature to 150C/300F/Gas 2 and pour the lemon mixture into the tart case. Bake in the oven for about an hour, or until the filling is just set and the pastry is golden-brown.

Remove the tart from the oven and trim the excess pastry off the edges. Leave to cool completely,  place in the fridge to chill for another couple of hours.

For an  extraordinary treat, slice a round of goat’s cheese into slices and place all over the lemon tart. Dust lavishly with icing sugar and pop under the hot grill until golden and bubbly. Delicious!!

15 Responses to “A Lemon Tart inspired by FBC 2010”

1. Juno 14 June 2010 at 12:21 pm #

Wow, Nina. You are obviously feeling better! This looks beautiful and delicious. x

2. Marisa 14 June 2010 at 12:29 pm #

I was also eyeing that tart in all the FBC2010 posts! This one looks like it would fit the bill perfectly. Interesting tip re the melted goats cheese on top – will have to try that!

3. bellini valli 14 June 2010 at 2:02 pm #

I think lemon has always been my chocolate. When asked what kind of cake I want for my birthday…the answer is lemon meringue pie.

4. Packaging Cape Town 14 June 2010 at 2:50 pm #

Nina is still barking like a dog!! Our dog is actually fearing retrenchment!!Nina felt better Saturday morning but instead of gaurding the tart she helped me at our new packaging shop and allas she was ill again Sunday!! The tart …Like Nina…was the greatest!!. -the husband 🙂

5. ♥peachkins♥ 14 June 2010 at 4:09 pm #

Lemon Tarts are the best!

blowing peachkisses
    The Peach Kitchen
    peach and things

6. Peter M 14 June 2010 at 4:56 pm #

Nina, you know the saying: when you have lemons…make a lemon tart!

7. Pam 14 June 2010 at 5:07 pm #

My favorite flavor of dessert is lemon – this tart is making me drool.

8. Mary 14 June 2010 at 6:50 pm #

Nina, this is a beautiful tart and I can't resist lemon desserts. I've spent some time going through your earlier features and I must tell you I love the food you share with your readers. I'll be back often to see what else you've been cooking. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

9. Juliana 15 June 2010 at 2:01 am #

Nina, I love everything that is lemony, and your lemon tart looks so elegant, absolutely mouth watering. Beautiful presentation 🙂

10. redkathy 15 June 2010 at 7:35 am #

Breathtaking display! I can taste that tart all the all the way over here in Florida!

11. polkadotcupcake 15 June 2010 at 10:13 am #

What a bright and beautiful tart to cheer up these grim days! I must conquer my fear of baking, because my boy will LOVE this, I think he's as lemon-crazed as you are..

Hope you feel better soon, Nina!

12. Mary 15 June 2010 at 6:11 pm #

I'm just jumping back in to let you know how pleased I am with both your visits to my blog. Blessings…Mary

13. Adele @ WillworkforBiltong 16 June 2010 at 1:46 am #

My mother-in-law loves lemon tarts, and I've been wanting to make her one for ages. Eight eggs! Half a litre of cream! I'm sold.

14. Jessy and her dog Winnie 17 June 2010 at 1:57 am #