May 17, 2021

Chunky Basil Tomato Soup!

Posted on June 24, 2010 by in soups

A Chunky Basil Tomato soup that you can have on the table in less than an hour sounds like a good idea doesn’t it? This soup delivers big on taste, nutrition, color and not to mention the little effort it takes to make. As many of you know, I have two very adventurous eaters as children. An ordinary sandwich or instant noodles just do not cut it for them.
With 5 weeks of holiday, because of the Fifa World Cup Soccer, keeping these two fed is quite a daunting task…..
My daughter, like her mom, loves a good tomato soup, but because I do all the cooking at night, I seldom feel like making another meal for lunchtime. My friend Jan made this divine Tomato soup the other day and it really had me grabbing for a pen and paper and although I will most definitely try her soup some time, I wanted to make a quick and hearty basil tomato soup. The chunky texture of this soup comes from using red lentils. I am ashamed to say that this is my first cooking experience with red lentils and they soften so easy that I cannot wait for other recipes to try them in. The red lentils however, gives a lovely think and creamy consistency to this soup!Ready to cook? Let someone set the table so long, this is gonna to be quick!

Chunky Basil Tomato Soup – 4 servings

1 medium onion finely chopped
half of each – red, green and yellow peppers
1-2 cloves of garlic
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 sachet tomato paste
1 cup red lentils
3-4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
a big handful of basil
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
salt/pepper to taste
1-2 tsp sugar
vegetable oil

optional extras
basil pesto
chopped coriander
round farm loaf – hollowed out

Heat a heavy based pot on the stove and add the oil. Sweat the onions, garlic and peppers and paprika until it becomes soft . Add all the other ingredients and let the soup cook for 30 minutes. Add a little water if it becomes to thick. Taste and season accordingly. I serve my soup in a bread bowl with lots of chopped coriander or a dollop of basil pesto!!.

Before I cast off, please hop over theThe Love of Wine where I am featuring as one of their ambassadors. Leave a comment and pop in over the next few weeks. We will be put through various challenges so it promises to be most interesting!!!

15 Responses to “Chunky Basil Tomato Soup!”

1. Marisa 24 June 2010 at 4:57 pm #

Looks super!! Love the serving bowl – the less dishes I have to wash, the better for me.

You're going to love red lentils – they've long been a standby in my kitchen – so quick to cook!

2. Mary 24 June 2010 at 5:25 pm #

This is a lovely soup. I have a question regarding the sachet of tomato paste. It is not sold here. How many tablespoons would be equivalent to a sachet? Have a great day. Blessings…Mary

3. Nina Timm 24 June 2010 at 5:26 pm #

Marisa – I think so too!!

Mary – 2-3 tbsp is just about it. Thx for the visit!!

4. ♥peachkins♥ 24 June 2010 at 5:39 pm #

OMG! i'm crazy about soups on a bread bowl!

5. My Carolina Kitchen 24 June 2010 at 5:41 pm #

Adore the serving bowl Nina. Your soup spells summertime for me.

6. Nina Timm 24 June 2010 at 5:53 pm #

peachkins – We love it here too. kids love knibbling away on the crockery!!

my carolina kitchen – that is what makes this soup so amazing….I used tinned tomatoes in winter and fresh in summer. For my fresh tomato soup, hop over here!!

7. bellini valli 24 June 2010 at 6:18 pm #

It looks very tempting served in a bread bowl Nina. I can't wait for all those sun-ripened tomatoes.

8. Yael 24 June 2010 at 10:05 pm #

Yum, that looks so delicious and in a bread bowl yet!! Guess what my family is getting for dinner tomorrow night!

9. polkadotcupcake 25 June 2010 at 11:36 am #

Nina, you'd never believe, but this is almost exactly what I served at my engagement party last year!
    We had bread bowls, and chicken and lamb curries, and the most divine red pepper, tomato and barley soup (on my blog). I love lentils and barley, they give soup such a delicious and robust consistency. YUM!!
    And what moreish photos..as usual!

10. Peter M 27 June 2010 at 5:52 pm #

You've got a smoked paprika, a warming soup and less dishes to clean with an edible bread bowl!

11. Akshay 29 June 2010 at 1:10 pm #

Soup Recipes of this site is amazing. I like all types of Soup. They all are delicious.

12. Jeanne @ CookSister! 1 July 2010 at 7:21 pm #

I love it, Nina! The first time I saw soup in a bread bowl was in Boston and I was intrigued. Sort of like a liquid bunny chow, hahahah!

13. Mayo 4 August 2010 at 9:55 pm #

Hi Nina,

Thank you for your interest in Meatless Monday and for pledging to go meatless once a week! Your Chunky Tomato Basil Soup looks outstanding, and I love that you served it in a bread bowl! I’ve never cooked with red lentils, but this recipe makes me want to try it out! If you want to experiment more with red lentils, try out our recipe for Red Lentil Bean Chili (http://www.meatlessmonday.com/red-lentil-bean-chili/)

Giving up meat once a week is beneficial to your health and to the environment because it decreases your risk of chronic preventable conditions and it saves precious resources. That’s why I work for Meatless Monday. Many bloggers like to make weekly Meatless Monday posts featuring pictures or videos of meatless meals that they’ve made. If you’re interested in joining the Meatless Monday community and doing weekly Meatless Monday posts on My Easy Cooking, please email me at MeatlessMondayBlogs@gmail.com. Thanks!

Mayo

14. Janine 22 March 2011 at 10:11 am #

Heavenly! Have to try this!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

15. jane 1 July 2011 at 12:51 am #

I agree the serving bowl is one of my favorite things about his meal! I actually just got some Emile Henry cookware, and I've been wanting to cook something in them to try them out. Knowing my love for tomato basil soups this looks perfect!