October 26, 2020

Thai Corn Fritters, A review of a Thai restaurant and my first event!

Posted on July 14, 2010 by in baked goods

Thai Corn Fritters

How do I combine Thai Corn Fritters, a Thai restaurant and my first event into one post, you might ask. Well, it is actually quite simple. Thai Corn Fritters. My recent visit to a very good Thai restaurant inspired I have tried so many recipes for corn fritters before and some was better than others, but the results were always too cakey, too doughy or too eggy for my taste. My philosophy is quite simple if I make corn fritters, I want to taste corn……. not flour, not eggs or any other taste that dominates the taste of the corn. So, Thai Corn Fritters. I could not believe my good fortune the first time I tasted these Corn fritters at Wang Thai.  I  just knew I had to go and introduce myself to Mr Chef, but how? My prayers were answered last week when I was asked to do a review for this  restaurant. More about this later though.

I think regular visitors to this blog, will know that I love corn or mealies as we, here in South Africa  refer to them. My favorite way of enjoying corn (other than fritters of course) is  Grilled on the cob with basil and Chili butter. For a light vegetarian meal, why not try this easy Cheese and Corn Bake, delicious with just a small green salad. Next time when you invite friends over for drinks, whip up this delicious Mango, Avo and Corn Salsa to serve with some chips or tortilla.
I am delighted to tell you that the chef at Wang Thai was most eager to part with his recipe so that I can add it to my Corn Recipe repertoire.

My knowledge of Thai is very poor and Chef’s knowledge of English was even worse so it was difficult to get exact measurements, but this is what I could figure out and it worked….

Thai Corn Fritters

Thai Corn Fritters

1 kg corn – either cut from the cob or frozen this makes quite a few corn fritters – halve the recipe if needed
a couple of tablespoons of corn flour
1-2 tbsp sugar
vegetable oil for frying
sweet chili dipping sauce.

2 egg whites

Place the corn in a bowl(if frozen is used, thaw and drain). Add the egg white, flour and the sugar and mix through. Heat the oil in a skillet and fry the corn fritters until they are cooked. Drain on kitchen toweling and serve with a sweet chili dipping sauce.

As I went through my recipes tonight, preparing this post, I realized just how many Thai inspired recipes I have tried on this site.

Thai Crab Cakes

Coconut Chicken and Noodle Broth

Pan fried Hake with Satay Sauce

Thai Seafood Stew

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

22 Responses to “Thai Corn Fritters, A review of a Thai restaurant and my first event!”

1. LadyRaven 14 July 2010 at 9:01 am #

oh the irony 😛 I made these on Sunday because I promised Marisa I would make sweet chilli sauce and blog it.

Mine are a little different. I got my recipe from the former manager of Wang Thai and he told me they also put red pepper and courgettes into the mix but he didnt mention the sugar.

Maybe we need to send 1 more person to ask for the recipe and see which other ingredient pops up

2. Nina Timm 14 July 2010 at 9:15 am #

Lady Raven, They actually had two versions on their menu, yours being the first. They do not make that one anymore, the one I posted is the only one they serve at Wang Thai Milnerton, I do not know about the other stores.

3. Rose&Thorn 14 July 2010 at 9:30 am #

I love competitions! Thanks for this, will start working on my entry straight away.

4. Lori Lynn 14 July 2010 at 2:33 pm #

Hi Nina – congrats on your first event, it sounds like fun. I will do my best to participate, we are really busy here this month, and we have another one of our Sunken City Supper Club events around the corner.

We do love Thai too!
    LL

5. Jan 14 July 2010 at 3:40 pm #

Oooh that plate of food looks dee-lish!

6. bellini valli 14 July 2010 at 4:26 pm #

Thai cusine is a mystery to me beyond Pad Thai so this is a wonderful beginning Nina.

7. Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen 14 July 2010 at 5:35 pm #

I love these! They look so delicious Nina and perfect for the soon to be corn harvest here!

8. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 14 July 2010 at 5:50 pm #

I don't have many Thai-inspired recipes in my repetoire but I will see if can come be inspired 😉

Speaking of corn, check out my latest post!

9. Nicola 14 July 2010 at 10:46 pm #

Oh how exciting! Congrats on your first blog event Nina, already have something in mind for this challenge.

10. Juliana 15 July 2010 at 5:33 am #

Nina, I too love Thai food…the corn fritters look delicious…yummie with the sweet chili sauce 🙂

11. Cynthia 16 July 2010 at 3:10 am #

I love corn fritters but have never tried making them.

And yes, I did notice the potatoes Rosti(s)

12. Pam 16 July 2010 at 6:41 pm #

I love, love, love Thai food but I am intimidated to make it. This post is inspiring me to try it!

13. myfrenchkitchen 16 July 2010 at 7:35 pm #

It really does look delicious Nina!
    Good lucvck with your first event, I will try and join in with Thai..
    Ronelle

14. Mary 17 July 2010 at 4:33 pm #

What lovely fritters. They sounds delicious and must be tried. I like your recipe better than the one I currently use. We have a bit of a wait before local corn is available to us, but when it is this goes on the menu. Have a great day. Blessings…Mary

15. PinkPolkaDot 21 July 2010 at 3:22 pm #

This looks delicious – Hope I will find time to participate!!

16. Jeanne @ CookSister! 17 August 2010 at 9:51 am #

Oh I LOVE mealies! Miss the creamed ones especially as you don't get them here except in Chinese supermarkets. Love these fritters and envious of your visit to Wang Thai. They invited me to visit but I could not persuade them to pay for my plane ticket 😉

17. Mark H 7 February 2012 at 9:39 am #

I tried these on the weekend but I'm doing something wrong. Given that there are only 3 ingredients, I feel a bit stupid, but it seemed like they were missing something. The mixture wouldn't bind and I ended up with a mass of loose corn. I added more and more corn flour and then some water and finally got it to bind (sort of). Any idea what was wrong?

18. Nina Timm 8 February 2012 at 9:01 am #

Mark – Thank you first of all for trying this recipe. I am not sure what went wrong, but here are a few things that could go wrong. If you used frozen corn, it most probably had some water in, you have to try and get it as dry as possible. The mixture is loose and crumbly, but you have to keep ittogether, it sets in the frying process.
    Please email me at myeasycooking(at)gmail.com and maybe if you are in CT, you can come for a free lesson!!

19. Izak Rumboll 24 April 2015 at 11:25 pm #

The secret of the mealie fritters is definately that mealies should be dry. For 1okg of mealies use 4 heaped tbsps of corflour and two tbsps of sugar. This mixture has a nice firm consistency and binds nicely.

• nerinatimm 26 April 2015 at 5:31 am #

Thank you!! I am making a batch today!

20. Jess 22 August 2015 at 2:05 pm #

I tried these today and no matter what there was just loose corn which in turn started to pop almost like popcorn out of the pan and all over the floor I eventually Added a milk and egg mixture and it turned out ok but ended up throwing half of it away because it was such a flop

• nerinatimm 27 August 2015 at 10:41 am #

Recipe fixed! Thank you for your feedback!