October 23, 2019

Easy Pork Recipes – Do you have any?

Posted on September 3, 2010 by in pork

I have quite a few easy pork recipes on this site already, but you will not be offended if I post another one now, would you? We love eating pork and contrary to what you may believe it is not only for the crackling, although it is a tough one to resist. I love pork, because of its flavor.
It is robust, bold and can stand its ground to just about anything you want to add or serve with it. This recipe is proof of just that.

Before we go on to today’s easy pork recipe, here are a few of my other  delicious pork recipes.

If that was not enough to make you want to try your hand at cooking pork, let’s get to today’s recipe. For this cut of pork you need to make friends with your butcher. This is not a piece of meat that you would easily find in the meat isle of your supermarket. I find that flattery helps a lot, so next time you buy something simple like a kg/lbs of mince, tell the butcher it is the best mince you have ever had, rant and rave about it, make him feel good!! I find this works well for me, I can ask him anything and he will always be willing to help! So once you have your butcher on your side, ask him for a rack of pork, just like a rack of lamb and tell him just how many bones you want in, in other words, if you cut it, how many chops will you have. For my family it is 4 bones and it weighed about 1kg/2.2lbs. I also asked him to remove the outer layer of  rind/fat.

Rack of Pork and Beans

1kg/2.2lbs rack of pork or any other cut you might want to use.
salt
olive oil
2 tins of white beans – drained
fresh thyme
Dry rub for the pork

2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp dry bell pepper flakes
2 tsp  ground pepper
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp dry coriander – roasted and ground
2 tsp dry oregano
2 tsp dry thyme
2 tsp dry rosemary
1 heaped tsp brown sugar

Mix all the spices together. Season the pork with some salt, I try and find little gaps in the meat and stuff some salt in there too. For this piece of meat I use about 2 tsp salt. Now take some olive oil and rub it all over the meat, followed by the dry rub until the whole piece of meat is evenly coated.Let it rest for about 20-30 minutes. Heat the oven to 180º C. Place the meat in a oven-proof casserole, allow enough space for the beans to be added later. Roast meat open for about 1 hour, test to see if it is done. When a skewer is inserted, does the juices run clear? If not, pop it back into the oven for another 30 minutes.Add the beans to the casserole and mix with the pan juices. If you have no pan juice, add a little bit of water. Place casserole back in the oven for about 20 minutes, until beans have warmed and taken on some of that lovely flavor. Sprinkle with some fresh thyme and serve with veggies and maybe some mashed potatoes or some creamy polenta!

11 Responses to “Easy Pork Recipes – Do you have any?”

1. Marisa 3 September 2010 at 11:24 am #

This looks super tasty! Don't think I've ever seen a rack of pork. Will definitely have to work on my butcher flattery skills. 🙂

2. bellini valli 3 September 2010 at 2:59 pm #

Heee in the West we are more likely to find beef and lamb on our grocery shelves, but a delicious pork roast is always welcome.

3. Arnold 3 September 2010 at 3:17 pm #

Wow, this looks good. I love pork in any form. I would have kept that outer layer of fat right where it was. I know they say it is not very healthy but surely we can spoil ourselves just once in a while.

4. Pam 3 September 2010 at 4:51 pm #

Now that's a great version of pork and beans!

I am off to vote for you.

5. Mary 3 September 2010 at 5:30 pm #

This is beautifully presented and sounds absolutely delicious. I really like this recipe. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

6. elra 6 September 2010 at 12:28 am #

Every single recipe you posted sound delicious Nina. Rack of pork and beans is a keeper for sure.

7. Ally_R 6 September 2010 at 11:19 am #

That looks absolutely scrumptious! My dad would be in heaven if I cooked him that!!

8. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 10 September 2010 at 5:37 pm #

That is the most amazing pork and beans I've ever seen! The dry rub you used sounds delicious too.

9. that lung 2 March 2012 at 8:44 am #

"Here is my pumpkin fritter recipe. These fritters are easy to make and they really are delicious – especially when you have grown the pumpkins in your own garden!
    The fritters always turn out puffy and golden brown.
    My Easy Pumpkin Fritters
    2 cups mashed pumpkin (500gm)
    ½ cup flour (125gm)
    2 level teaspoons baking powder,
    Pinch of salt
    1 beaten egg
    A little milk if the consistency is too tight.
    Mix well and drop with a tablespoon into hot oil. Lightly brown both sides.
    Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot with cinnamon and sugar.
    Tip: I don’t like to deep fry or use too much oil so about 1cm of light sunflower oil covering the bottom of the pan is quite enough. I also don’t use olive oil as the flavour is too distinctive.
    Pumpkin fritters do depend on a good pumpkin to start with. And as pumpkins don’t always have the same consistency you may have to adjust your ingredients.
    Try not to use a pumpkin that is too young as it tends to be rather watery. If you do find that the pumpkin is a bit watery, add a little more flour. The consistency should be firm but not sloppy.
    Let me know how your pumpkin fritters turn out!"

10. that lung 2 March 2012 at 8:47 am #

The fritters always turn out puffy and golden brown.
    My Easy Pumpkin Fritters
    2 cups mashed pumpkin (500gm)
    ½ cup flour (125gm)
    2 level teaspoons baking powder,
    Pinch of salt
    1 beaten egg
    A little milk if the consistency is too tight.
    Mix well and drop with a tablespoon into hot oil. Lightly brown both sides.
    Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot with cinnamon and sugar.
    Let me know how your pumpkin fritters turn out!"

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Veggie Burgers - no meat does not mean no flavor! - My Easy Cooking - August 29, 2017

[…] you. Who thought that a few tins of baked beans can become this wholesome pan of Cowboy Beans? Even Sunday Pork Roast can do with a can of beans of two. Stews normally takes hours, not this […]