October 22, 2019

Baking Bread is like therapy….in the kitchen!

Posted on September 12, 2010 by in baked goods

I was baking bread yesterday when I suddenly became aware of the calmness I felt. My hands slowly kneading, folding…. kneading, folding  in a slow rhythmic fashion. As the dough became more and more elastic and warm, I became more and more relaxed.  It was awesome.
So often I work on deadlines in my kitchen that I really loved making the bread……..
I decided then and there that I will definitely make time to bake bread more often. It is cheaper than therapy and I am guaranteed of  good feed back when I serve warm bread  to my family. I  really do not like adding different flavors or herbs to my bread, although I did get a big “Wow!” when I made this Jamie Oliver creation!. I like bread simple, just plain to enjoy with a delicious jam or some cheese. For me, it is a meal in itself, nothing more is needed.
I know the professional bakers and chefs use sourdough plants and all sorts of techniques, but frankly it is way too much effort for me. As long as you use a good stone ground flour and some butter or olive oil, you will never be disappointed.

Bread

2,5kg Eureka Stone ground flour
2x10gr sachet instant yeast
about 2 liters lukewarm water
1 heaped tbs salt
125gr farm butter

First rising

Melt butter and add to the lukewarm water. Throw flour salt and yeast in a big mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Make a hole in the middle of the flour and  pour about ½ of the water in the hole. Start working the flour and water together with your hands, adding more water as needed. When the dough is mixed and  sticky, pour the content of the bowl on a floured working space and start kneading and folding the dough back and forth until it becomes springy and elastic. That takes about 10 minutes. Place the dough back in the bowl and cover with a tea towel and place in a warm place in the house.

Second rising

Let the dough rise for 40 minutes to 1 hour or until it has doubled in volume. Knock it down and knead for another couple of minutes. Now is a good time to preheat your oven to 180C. Place bread dough in prepared bread tins or make round loaves on a baking sheet. Let the breads rise again until it has doubled in size again. When ready, bake the round loaves for 40 minutes and the bread in tins for about 1 hour. If the bread sounds hollow when tapped, it is baked through. Take bread from baking sheet or pan and cool on ware racks.

Other bread recipes on My Easy Cooking

Tags:

17 Responses to “Baking Bread is like therapy….in the kitchen!”

1. Marisa 12 September 2010 at 10:07 pm #

Great photos! And that bread looks absolutely fabulous. You were right, your brother in law's hands work beautifully with the styling here.

And you won't believe I took a similar type of photo today – got hubby to hold the food and he happened to have on blue jeans and a blue t-shirt! Hehehe.

2. bellini valli 12 September 2010 at 10:15 pm #

I could never be disappointed with a warm and fragrant loaf of bread fresh from the oven.

3. Colleen 12 September 2010 at 11:12 pm #

Beautiful beautiful post Nina…and just love the photographs. Glad to hear that you also find baking bread therapeutic. Love it! xx

4. Arnold 13 September 2010 at 5:36 am #

I have only baked bread a couple of times and am therefore no expert. I have to agree however, good old plain bread without all the fancy extras, stays the best. This bread looks just super. As always, the styling on the photos is magnificent, the farmyard look really comes through.

5. LadyRaven 13 September 2010 at 8:07 am #

…and it was really really tasty! Thanks soooo much Nina 🙂

6. Rose&Thorn 13 September 2010 at 8:20 am #

Bread making is therapy for me too, I love the process and the final product is better than any pill! I made the perfect partner for your bread, posting it today!

7. Ally_R 13 September 2010 at 10:29 am #

I will bake bread before the end of the year!! I am slowly getting over my fear of working with yeast…why I have a fear in the first place I don't know! But I am conquering it slowly!

8. mycookinghut 13 September 2010 at 8:22 pm #

Your bread looks really good!!!

9. zenchef 14 September 2010 at 5:32 am #

What a beautiful loaf of bread, Nina! Well done!
    I agree with you. There's something therapeutic about baking bread.. and doing the dish. Okay, you don't have to agree with me a bout the dishes. 🙂

10. Sharon 14 September 2010 at 11:55 am #

Anything in the kitchen is therapeutic! The bread looks awesome… wouldnt mind a slice right now with farm butter and syrup!! (or just as is with nothing)…

11. Leaine's Kitchen 14 September 2010 at 2:44 pm #

There's nothing quite like home-made bread fresh from the oven. Love it!

12. Juliana 14 September 2010 at 8:53 pm #

Nina, your bread looks perfect…love the smell of bread baking in the oven…such a comfort feeling 🙂

13. elly 16 September 2010 at 3:11 am #

Yum, your bread looks absolutely perfect, Nina! I always say I am going to make more breads and then I get lazy. Hopefully this inspires me!

14. Jan 16 September 2010 at 12:33 pm #

Fantastic photos – that bread looks GOOD!

15. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 16 September 2010 at 6:17 pm #

What a gorgeous loaf of bread! I just love that last shot too. I'll have to give Jamie Oliver's recipe a try!

16. tobias cooks! 17 September 2010 at 5:46 pm #

I feel the same about baking 🙂

17. Hopie 17 September 2010 at 6:02 pm #

So true, baking in general, but particularly baking bread is so stress relieving. And then it tastes good too!