June 16, 2019

Trifle-Swoon-over-this Berry and White Chocolate Trifle!

Posted on November 14, 2010 by in desserts

Trifle-Swoon-over-this Berry

Trifle-Swoon-over-this Berry. Trifle is the only dessert that I will wake up for in the middle of the night. Everyone that knows me, knows that I’m a savory kinda girl! Trifle is a different story, however it is not a dessert I make often for various reasons. The first being that it is a little too tedious, but the real reason is this!
Trifle-Swoon-over-this Berry. My mother-in-law is the trifle maker in our family. I love her to bits so I know this will not offend her, but she has never aspired to be the world’s greatest cook. She has many other amazing talents, but cooking is not one of them. However, there are a few dishes that I would never cook in my house…..because of her!
Mac ‘n Cheese, roast potatoes and Trifle are her signature dishes and yes, she does make them really well. None of my efforts to cook any of these recipes for my husband measured up to her standards, so after a while I just stopped trying. But what  is a Sunday roast without roast potatoes, so I tried again and again and last Sunday my hubby said that they were better than his mom’s!(shhhhh, don’t tell her!).

That left Mac ‘n Cheese and Trifle! It is a tradition in our house that mom makes a trifle for Christmas Day lunch. In a glass bowl she would layer soft sponge cake drenched in cherry, jelly,custard,cream, fruit and nuts and finish it off with chocolate shavings. Delicious stuff! I will not even try to compete with that, but the craving for trifle was critical and Christmas is still around the corner. With all the fresh berries available right now, I thought of a trump card Trifle, one that is so different that I will never be accused of competing with my MIL! Did I pass the Trifle test? Judge for yourself, see if you can resist not making this delicious Berry and White Chocolate Trifle!

Trifle-Swoon-over-this Berry

Berry and White Chocolate Trifle

servings – 6 small  individual portions

12 Boudoir or lady fingers Biscuits
500 ml bought custard – I used Woolworth’s
250 ml cream
100gr slab white chocolate
125 gr blue berries
400 gr strawberries – hulled and cut in smallish chunks
medium cream sherry – I used a cap full per mini trifle
more white chocolate for decorating – optional

Trifle-Swoon-over-this Berry

Trifle-Swoon-over-this Berry. Break the chocolate into smaller pieces and place in a glass bowl over boiling water and allow to melt. In the meantime, beat the cream until it forms soft peaks. Once the chocolate has melted, fold it into the cream with  a spatula. Get your 6 glasses or small bowls ready and place two boudoir biscuits in each. Drizzle some sherry over the biscuits. Trifle-Swoon-over-this Berry. Pour some custard in each glass followed by some fresh berries, Spoon some of the cream white chocolate mixture on top of the berries and repeat the layers ending with some white chocolate. Scatter a few berries on the top and finish off with a sprig of  mint and some chocolate shavings. Keep refrigerated  for at least 1 hour.

So, I guess this leaves me with Mac ‘n Cheese on my to-try list. Any ideas will be most welcome!

Cook’s notes

– perfect for entertaining because it can be made in advance
– use different kinds of fruit  such as passion fruit or peaches
– use dark chocolate and nuts for a totally different trifle experience
– please try my MIL’s Traditional Trifle recipe as well as some of my other delicious dessert  recipes with berries.

Traditional Trifle

Strawberry Coulis

Strawberry and Basil Ice cream

Cherry Clafoutis

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

22 Responses to “Trifle-Swoon-over-this Berry and White Chocolate Trifle!”

1. browniegirl 14 November 2010 at 11:00 pm #

I am really really in need of one of those buckets of berries right now…if I cant have them then please pass over on of the glasses of trifle! How tempting…and what stunning photos! I think you outclassed yourself here with this one Nins…totally yummilicious. Tell me please….does the white chocolate cream harden at all? We must chat soon. I am missing you! Hugs xx PS Is that my little friend C's hands holding that bucket of berries out for me?? :o) xx

2. bellini valli 14 November 2010 at 11:51 pm #

My aunt was the trifle maker for our gatherings. I haven't made one in years so thanks for the timely reminder Nina. Yours could stand up well to your aunts any day.

3. Caitlyn 15 November 2010 at 6:47 am #

Great looking dish! Make me hungry!

4. Des-packaging Shop 15 November 2010 at 8:59 am #

gr8 desert.i was more amazed when you wipped an extra one together a day later for Robbie in less than 2 minutes. Wipped cream and all!!…..Today we got engaged 15years ago…the happiest day of my life!! Love you-Your Husband!

5. Kimberly Peterson 15 November 2010 at 2:32 pm #

Wowww this looks absolutely amazing!! Great presentation.

6. Mary 15 November 2010 at 5:04 pm #

What lovely trifles one and all. It is a dessert that I'm really fond of. Yours sound delicious. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

7. Koek! 15 November 2010 at 5:16 pm #

I'm swooning! I'm swooning!
    Robyn x

8. Jeanne @ Cooksister! 15 November 2010 at 8:22 pm #

Oh wow – I am in love – and I don't even LIKE trifle!! :o) Those little buckets of berries are to die for. And like Colleen I am guessing that's C holding one? 😉

9. Peter M 16 November 2010 at 12:52 am #

Oh Nina, you're waving Spring in my face like a red cape to a bull with those trifles!

10. Cynthia 16 November 2010 at 2:07 am #

Nina, have you ever drizzled sherry over the cake layers for trifle? Or in this case, lightly dip the lady fingers fingers in sherry. Oh my, you've got to give it a try. Of course this would be an adult Trifle 🙂

11. Sam 16 November 2010 at 10:11 am #

Nina, I dont like trifle but this is something I could defs get very stuck into. I love the individual dishes and oh what a beautiful pic of the berries.

So 2 down, 3 to go. I have every confidence that you will take the mac n cheese to requisite level 🙂

12. PinkPolkaDot 16 November 2010 at 12:46 pm #

This looks wonderful!!! I just looooove the pics!

13. Marisa 17 November 2010 at 9:08 am #

When you see my next post you're going to think I'm a copycat, but I promise I'm not! 🙂 Let's just call it great minds thinking alike.

Your trifle looks absolutely fantastic Nina and I'm sure it beat your MIL's hands down! Beautiful photos too – I see you commandeered little Chloe in one of them. 😉

14. Jan 17 November 2010 at 1:52 pm #

That's one good looking trifle Nina!

15. Maria 18 November 2010 at 3:31 am #

Beautiful photos and I absolutely adore trifle so these gorgeous little desserts are really speaking to me! The colors really pop with the strawberries and blueberries and it all looks so light and refreshing.

16. chocswirl 18 November 2010 at 8:33 am #

Oh Wow Nina! I just wanna dive in!

17. Jamie 18 November 2010 at 10:26 am #

These are gorgeous! And so delicious-looking that I could eat one now! I make tiramisu once in a while but have been toying with the idea of trying trifle and yours are so beautiful and tempting that I really want to try it now. And love the story! Every time I talk to my own mother she says "stop telling the world what a bad cook I was!" LOL!

18. Pam 18 November 2010 at 4:51 pm #

I've never eaten trifle but after seeing this post… I want to make it AND eat it.

19. Anonymous 19 December 2010 at 11:03 am #

Good sait, its very interesting//

20. Lien 21 December 2011 at 3:56 pm #

What a man! After 15 years!Des, keep going! The trifle looks georgious. Inspired me.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Custard desserts and being young again! - June 25, 2014

[…] desserts are nothing new to us, there are so many of them…. think trifle, custard slices, pavlova with custard and those are just the simple ones. Custard also forms the […]

2. Custard and bowls filled with varsity memories! - July 1, 2014