May 25, 2019

3 course Sandwiches for Meatless Monday

Posted on December 6, 2010 by in vegetarian

“3 Course Sandwiches!” was my answer to his question. “What are we eating tonight?” After I’ve said it, there was this long prolonged silence which ended in a deep sigh. “Is there a problem honey? I asked very diplomatically. (Sigh)
“No, I just want to get my mind around what to expect, you know how you get all funny and creative with my food on a Friday!” What the heck is that all about? I wondered(and still wonders)..
“I can make you something else!” I said, quite taken aback by his last comment. “No, no honey, I am sure it will be good…if you made it” he said, now treading very lightly……
Anybody who knows me and reads this blog regularly, knows that I LOVE sandwiches. Maybe it is because I love bread, but there is more to it…I love making them, I love giving them and I love eating them of course. I think I could start a website just on sandwiches, in fact I think someone has already. By changing the bread and filling every time you make a sandwich, you could theoretically have a different sandwich everyday for the rest of you life. (I hope hubby doesn’t read this!)
If you just think of the unbelievable array of breads that are available these days, white, brown, wholegrain, wild yeast, sweet potato, rye…..and the list goes on and on! My favorite, as you will see on many of my sandwich recipes, are without a doubt Wild Yeast Ciabatta. I like the rustic appeal of it, I like the burnt bits from the wood fire oven, but above all, I love the chewy texture! A close second on my list of favorite breads, is a good old fashioned seedloaf, and that was my bread of choice for this 3 course sandwich!

If you are looking for a recipe from me, I am going to dissapoint you today, because these sandwiches are so simple to make and  also because I want you to let your imagination run wild with the various fillings and breads.

3 Course Sandwiches
Sandwich #1
Fried Egg and Emmenthaler Cheese Sandwich with Smoked Red Pepper Flakes
Sandwich #2
Mixed tomato salad with Anchovies and Feta
Sandwich #3
Rocket, Preserved Fig and Blue Cheese
A 3 course meal

Some other ideas for sandwiches are:

Times flies when you’re having fun and yet again it is Monday, which means it is Meatless Monday!
This 3 course sandwich is perfect for this event. If you haven’t joined this movement yet, do consider it, it’ll do you the world of good.

“This idea of taking one day off from meat is connected to being a little more mindful, stepping back and actually taking stock of what we’re eating — not only on a daily basis, but a weekly basis — and doing a mental check-list before we plow into that rack of ribs. Which, by the way, are delicious.”
-Kim O’Donnel in The Seattle Times

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “3 course Sandwiches for Meatless Monday”

1. Rose&Thorn 6 December 2010 at 10:25 am #

I will say, Keith jumps for joy when I say the word bread and meal in the same sentence! Love your sarmies, they are making me very hungry!

2. bellini valli 6 December 2010 at 1:39 pm #

There is no doubt in my mind that I love a good sandwich. My bread of choice is from Costco if you can believe it…I love their triangular shaped and seedy ciabatta buns.

3. Sanjeeta kk 6 December 2010 at 6:00 pm #

Love the sandwich idea, got my menu for the breakfast this week end.

4. retro sweets 6 December 2010 at 8:28 pm #

Nice sandwiches! I'm especially intrigued with the third one w/ figs. Will have to make it to know how it tastes. I can't wait! Thanks for the idea.. :))

5. Sam 6 December 2010 at 9:37 pm #

Love the red pepper sprinkle on the eggs, looks so pretty :-), must check that combo out. Nice pics!

6. Junglefrog 7 December 2010 at 12:26 am #

I could not agree more when it comes to the subject of sandwiches. I could eat them every day, all day… Unfortunately my other half feels that he needs something else from time to time..lol… Great sandwiches!!

7. QPS PACKAGING 7 December 2010 at 7:46 am #

These sandwiches complete me…they were "mighty fine"…(Not just because of the maker but also because of our Maker)love U honey!!

8. Marisa 7 December 2010 at 1:59 pm #

I think my hubby wishes I would make sandwiches more often as it'll get me out of the kitchen faster. 😉

Your fig & blue cheese sandwich looks divine. My favourite sandwich of all time though? Chicken mayo, crispy bacon, feta & avo. So fattening, but ohsogood.

9. Mary 7 December 2010 at 5:43 pm #

Your sandwiches are pretty enough to sit on a Danish Smorgasbord. They look delicious, Nina. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

10. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 7 December 2010 at 6:04 pm #

Delicious sandwiches, Nina! They remind me of Danish Smorrebrod! My husband loves egg sandwiches 😉

11. Pam 7 December 2010 at 6:42 pm #

I would love every single one but the fried egg sandwich is screaming my name.

12. Ben 7 December 2010 at 10:56 pm #

OMG! Those sandwiches look amazing. I agree with you, if you change the filling you could eat a different sandwich every day for the rest of your life. That's an appealing idea…

13. Linda Harding 8 December 2010 at 1:31 pm #

Rocket, blue cheese and fig? SOLD! I'll take one order for every day for the rest of my life, please! Fantastic Nina, those sandwiches all look seriously yum!

14. myfrenchkitchen 8 December 2010 at 1:34 pm #

Oh, great and mouthwatering ideas…you turn a simple sandwich into a meal for a king, Nina..!
    bisous
    ronelle

15. Sean Grey Hanson 9 December 2010 at 4:08 am #

I am the same way with you when it comes to decorating sandwich, but you are more likely a pro. Very appealing isn't it?

16. browniegirl 9 December 2010 at 12:27 pm #

Awesome post Nins….I could live on any one of these combos for ever!! Love me some bread…love me some sarmies :o) xx

17. Ingrid 14 December 2010 at 12:17 am #

Love this!

18. Rebecca Jean 21 December 2010 at 7:58 pm #

Forget hubby. You can make dinner for me any night! Those sandwiches are works of art. I'd eat them for dinner on Meatless Monday or any day of the week. YUM.

I host a weekly Meatless Monday blog carnival. This would be a great post to link to it.

I invite you to add your meatless posts to the carnival and help spread the Meatless Monday movement!

♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

19. Nerina 24 February 2011 at 11:27 am #

Baie dankie! Great idees vir broodjies! Gaan my kids verras!

20. Jamila 22 March 2011 at 9:04 am #

This is so perfect!it looks awesome and craves me a lot!

21. custom essay 8 April 2011 at 1:02 am #

Thanks for a good reciepe! A very simple, but tasty sandwich!:)

22. retro sweets 6 July 2012 at 9:08 pm #

Love the photos, cant wait to make them!