November 20, 2019

Watermelon Sorbet – the first of many sorbets to come!

Posted on January 13, 2011 by in desserts

Watermelon+Sorbet

Watermelon Sorbet. I was a sorbet virgin for many years, always dreaming of one day being able to make it myself. Then last year some time, I tried it for the first time and made Strawberry and Basil sorbet that was utterly delicious.

Watermelon Sorbet. Since then I have tried various flavors and methods, some failed and others not,but one thing is for sure in the blazing heat of summer there is nothing more refreshing than a bowl or cone filled with sorbet….
Since our return back from the holidays we are all trying to eat less in between meals and less calorie filled treats, but with children in the house who’s tummies are bottomless pits, it is difficult to be too strict. They are forever looking for something to eat and in my case something sweet far overrules something savory. In “ouma’s” house in Hermanus, the cookie jars are filled to the brim and there is always ice-cream in the freezer so to try and detox from that is hard for them. I decided to make a couple of batches of sorbet for them to eat in between. With all the delicious summer fruits available, it is hard to choose which one to make first.

Watermelon Sorbet

My choice was watermelon, simply because I had a huge watermelon and also because it is my children’s favorite fruit. With watermelon that is so watery, the sorbet is a lot grainier than say for instance the mango one I made,  but it is equally delicious. Just to show off, I made little ice-bowls to use as serving bowls and needless to say, my kids loved it!!!

Watermelon+Sorbet

Watermelon Sorbet

4 cups of pitted watermelon
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup sugar
4 T lemon juice
1 T vodka(optional, but it helps with the texture)
juice of 1 lemon

Method
Put the sugar and water  in a pot and heat slowly to melt the sugar. Bring the syrup to a boil and boil for about 3 minutes. Remove from the stove and cool the syrup. While the syrup is boiling, puree the watermelon  in a blender .
Combine the puree with the lemon juice and vodka, then stir in the sugar syrup. You can now transfer this mixture to your ice-cream maker and churn until ready or pour into a plastic container and freeze. Every hour just beat the mixture with a fork to break up the ice crystals. Place back in freezer.
Serve in ice bowls for a wow effect!

More funky sorbet flavors to follow soon, stay tuned!

Tags: , , ,

17 Responses to “Watermelon Sorbet – the first of many sorbets to come!”

1. Debbie Harris 13 January 2011 at 7:33 am #

Litchie sorbet is my favourite! Thanks for sharing your fabulous recipes!

2. chocswirl 13 January 2011 at 8:10 am #

Would definately have to be either mocha midnight sorbet (dark chocolate espresso) or kiwi and mint sorbet. Damn. Now you've got me wanting sorbet. 🙂

3. Junglefrog 13 January 2011 at 8:41 am #

What a gorgeous sorbet!! It's not exactly sorbet weather here at the moment but will definitely be thinking of these in the summer!

4. Tara 13 January 2011 at 9:19 am #

Ooh a mango sorbet sounds amazing! I'd probably go with a mixed berry sorbet (think raspberries, strawberries, blueberries etc.) or alternatively a buttermilk and lemon sorbet. Yum!

5. Linda Harding 13 January 2011 at 9:25 am #

Nina, this looks so pretty and I love the idea of ice bowls! So stunning for summer and so easy! Hmmmm, my favourite sorbet would be kiwi and lime… imagine all those little black kiwi pips and the deliciously-green colour of the sorbet. Yum!

6. LadyRaven 13 January 2011 at 9:26 am #

Tart Lemon sorbet that makes your face look funny 😛 The kind of tartness you feel at the back of your mouth. Slightly sweet, slightly sour, like sherbet

7. Ann 13 January 2011 at 1:08 pm #

Would love to try Lime and Lemon sorbet. Nice and tarty.

8. Betty Bake 13 January 2011 at 2:18 pm #

granadilla/passion fruit :)num num num 🙂

i would love that book 🙂

Betty Bake

9. Anonymous 13 January 2011 at 3:48 pm #

Nina, I asked for this recipe and you gave it – I am now on my way to the kitchen to make this – Thank you, thank you, Thank you.
    By the way this is my favourite
    XX
    Thea

10. Ben 13 January 2011 at 4:45 pm #

Making sorbets is one of the biggest pleasures I discovered with blogging. I still need to make watermelon sorbet, but this summer I'll tackle that challenge. Yours looks so good!

11. Jeanne @ CookSister! 13 January 2011 at 5:55 pm #

Mmmm, sorbet! I am afraid to say that I am still a virgin, but you are tempting me :o) I would like to have a go at espresso sorbet. Mmmmm. Love the gorgeous ice bowls, doll!

12. Juliana 14 January 2011 at 1:17 am #

Nina, I love the color and the flavor of your sorbet…love the idea of adding basil to it…yummie flavor. I have yet to try to make sorbet…and I'd love to start with this one 😉

13. ♥peachkins♥ 14 January 2011 at 4:35 am #

that sorbet looks mighty refreshing!

14. Jan 14 January 2011 at 10:10 am #

This sorbet looks good! But the weather here is so cold at the moment, I'll have to make this when it warms up a bit!

15. My Carolina Kitchen 15 January 2011 at 11:29 pm #

Your strawberry and basil sorbet is my favorite. The combination of the two flavors is extraordinary. I do have to admit I've never made my own.

16. Hannelie Kotze 22 November 2015 at 8:53 am #

Hi Nina hoe gemaak om sulke mooi gevriesde bakkies te maak? Na gister se “mocktail” wil ek net sorbet maak.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Watermelon Ice Lollies - Kids love them! - My Easy Cooking - December 20, 2017

[…] is in season now, so you can either go for a very refreshing Watermelon Sorbet, or try these […]